Study shows LBGTQ individuals are more likely to abuse steroids than their peers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:25:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Study shows LBGTQ individuals are more likely to abuse steroids than their peers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Study shows LBGTQ individuals are more likely to abuse steroids than their peers  (Read 1654 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »

The statistics here are unbelievable.  I'm sure there's some methodological problem that casts doubt on the study.  21% of gay kids use steroids?  No way on earth that's true.

Maybe the percentages are off, but you can't sign on to Grindr for a second without knowing the gay community has a real problem with steroids. Never mind the fact that masculine "bro" types are very trendy right now, making the existing problem of widespread gay body dysmorphia even worse.

Well, you don't need to use steroids to be in good shape.  Gay men work out more often than straight men, for sure.  So, it's pretty difficult to say based on a person's physique, unless they're a bodybuilder.   

In any case, there is a huge problem in the gay community with use of methamphetamines, MDMA and cocaine.  In comparison to those drugs, steroids are actually fairly benign drugs. 

I'm not sure what makes you think those drugs are more harmful than steroids (even meth).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »

The statistics here are unbelievable.  I'm sure there's some methodological problem that casts doubt on the study.  21% of gay kids use steroids?  No way on earth that's true.

Maybe the percentages are off, but you can't sign on to Grindr for a second without knowing the gay community has a real problem with steroids. Never mind the fact that masculine "bro" types are very trendy right now, making the existing problem of widespread gay body dysmorphia even worse.

Well, you don't need to use steroids to be in good shape.  Gay men work out more often than straight men, for sure.  So, it's pretty difficult to say based on a person's physique, unless they're a bodybuilder.   

In any case, there is a huge problem in the gay community with use of methamphetamines, MDMA and cocaine.  In comparison to those drugs, steroids are actually fairly benign drugs. 

I'm not sure what makes you think those drugs are more harmful than steroids (even meth).

The side effects of anabolic steroids are really overstated in the media and they're generally reversible once you stop taking them.  There also isn't the same type of addiction as narcotic drugs or speed. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 03:29:03 PM »

The side effects of anabolic steroids are really overstated in the media and they're generally reversible once you stop taking them.  There also isn't the same type of addiction as narcotic drugs or speed. 

One major side effect of anabolic steroids is having your body's own ability to create hormones permanently impacted. Another major side effect of steroids is cancer. Lots and lots of experimenters from the 60s and 70s are very much dead. That's not saying there isn't a safe way to use steroids -- generally, they're fine when prescribed by a physician. But let's be honest, it's a drug that requires a hypodermic needle to administer, and that's kinda a big deal.

Realistically, though, steroids are not chemically addictive. Meth and coke definitely are, and represent a bigger threat for that reason. MDMA is not especially addictive or dangerous, though its use can cause long-term issues with brain chemistry and depression.

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »

One major side effect of anabolic steroids is having your body's own ability to create hormones permanently impacted. Another major side effect of steroids is cancer. Lots and lots of experimenters from the 60s and 70s are very much dead. That's not saying there isn't a safe way to use steroids -- generally, they're fine when prescribed by a physician. But let's be honest, it's a drug that requires a hypodermic needle to administer, and that's kinda a big deal.

Realistically, though, steroids are not chemically addictive. Meth and coke definitely are, and represent a bigger threat for that reason. MDMA is not especially addictive or dangerous, though its use can cause long-term issues with brain chemistry and depression.

I don't think there's conclusive science on the long-term effect of anabolic steroid use.  I might be wrong about that.  Also, just as a complicating matter anabolic steroids are not one compound and the dosing regime, etc varies between people.  Plus, the steroid compounds people use and the methods they use, I'm sure are different in 2014 than they were in the 1960s. 

I'm not saying they're not a big deal.  It's just that the media hype doesn't really correlate to the current state of science. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »

I don't think there's conclusive science on the long-term effect of anabolic steroid use.  I might be wrong about that.  Also, just as a complicating matter anabolic steroids are not one compound and the dosing regime, etc varies between people.  Plus, the steroid compounds people use and the methods they use, I'm sure are different in 2014 than they were in the 1960s. 

I'm not saying they're not a big deal.  It's just that the media hype doesn't really correlate to the current state of science. 

I'd rather have my kid use MdMA or coke than steroids if it had to be something. Plus considering the fact that steroids are meant to cause permanent alteration, as opposed to a single night of partying.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies