Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra  (Read 3830 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/01/29/usa-weather-idINL2N0L312920140129

People were trapped in cars for hours, children were trapped in schools without provisions...

While Mayor Kasim Reed isn't up for re-election this year... But Governor Nathan Deal isn't so lucky. Does this Debacle hurt Deal in a primary? Does it help Jason Carter run against Deal? Does it hurt Reed if he runs for higher office in the future?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:17:32 PM »

"Frozen Tundra"

lol

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:25:45 PM »

bahahahahahahah
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »

This was rather serious ... People were stranded in schools, in cars overnight in bitter cold. And yes, it probably felt like a frozen tundra.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »

I can't take a 2 inch dusting with some ice seriously.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »

The major impact will likely be upon the local school board for not closing schools sooner or even deciding to hold them Tuesday.

I can't take a 2 inch dusting with some ice seriously.

Two inches is a fair amount of snow in these parts, but it was the ice that was the main problem.  People generally don't have snow tires in these parts, nor do we have the snow clearance equipment in place.

I got fortunate here.  The precipitation started later than expected, so I was largely spared the freezing rain I had feared.  My car had just a thin glaze of ice topped by 1½" of snow this morning.  I didn't have anywhere I needed to go today, but I brushed it off today so that my car wouldn't be sealed in a thick layer of frozen slush tomorrow morning, but not everyone around here was that foresighted.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »

please don't laugh guys. I had family members who were stuck in their cars for hours just trying to go a few miles down the road. It sounds ridiculous, since it wasn't a lot of snow, but we were caught off guard this time. The snow was supposed to stay south of Atlanta but by the time we got hit, everybody was already at work or school and tried to leave at the same time. Combine that with nobody knowing how to drive in snow and no DOT preparation like salt or sand, and it made for a huge disaster.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 10:51:33 PM »

Southern cities don't have the equipment or the supplies to handle events like this and given their relative rarity, there is no reason to.  Cities that shut down in advance (like New Orleans) just quietly got through this, cities that got caught off guard by forecasts that had the snow/ice going south of them--Birmingham and Atlanta--they were screwed.  When it became apparent that the ice/snow was going to hit them, everybody tried to get out of work/school at once and it was a huge fail.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »

They didn't even have a couple of emergency snow plows or ice salt?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 11:56:56 PM »

As for Deal, I just saw him on local evening news brushing off responsibility by saying "You can't predict mother nature"? I was like lol go carter but really I don't see this being a huge impact on the race unless something even worse happens or Deal says something just downright awful/insensitive.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 12:09:16 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 08:31:27 AM by True Federalist »

I think he's laughing at this joke of an "ice storm" being called a "frozen tundra". Some people at my work were laughing looking at the pictures today. I've driven in well over twice as bad as that and still made it to work on time.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:19:52 AM »

Maybe a couple, but how do use them in gridlock?  Plus transportation in metro Atlanta is a disjointed 16 county process.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/atlanta-snow-storm-102839.html?hp=pm_1#.UungZLQ2Lec

old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:11 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 08:31:52 AM by True Federalist »

I think he's laughing at this joke of an "ice storm" being called a "frozen tundra". Some people at my work were laughing looking at the pictures today. I've driven in well over twice as bad as that and still made it to work on time.

Good for you. You're from Minnesota, right? Of course you are more skilled at driving in snow and ice. If Minnesotans didn't have that skill they would be shut ins for about half of the year. But how well do you think people up there would handle several days of 100 degree heat with high humidity? What about hurricanes barreling through the twin cities, dropping several inches of rain and hurricane force winds? People in the south deal with that all the time and honestly, when we hear northerners complaining about heatwaves we're just as perplexed as to why you can't handle it.

Sorry for the rant, I've just been very disappointed in people's reactions to the situation in Georgia now. The "those stupid southerners can't even handle an inch of snow" comments are so inappropriate right now considering the hell that some people had to go through. Babies were delivered on the highway, people abandoned their cars and slept in restaurants and grocery stores and little kids had to sleep in their school gymnasiums.

We can certainly have a conversation about what went wrong and how we can avoid this in the future but I hope everyone refrains from jokes.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 12:51:28 AM »

As for Deal, I just saw him on local evening news brushing off responsibility by saying "You can't predict mother nature"? I was like lol go carter but really I don't see this being a huge impact on the race unless something even worse happens or Deal says something just downright awful/insensitive.

Yeah, as bad as this is, people will forget about it by election time. Republican voters here in Georgia always find a way to pin the blame on someone else. Everything in Georgia is always Obama's fault, even though anybody who actually has any power in this state is a Republican. I'm sure those stranded motorists are blaming Obama as we speak.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 02:44:15 AM »

A couple plows and some salt isn't going to do much good.  It'd take days to clear roads with just a few trucks.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 06:55:52 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 08:32:09 AM by True Federalist »

Precisely. Frozen tundra is a joke. Plus I drove home from work yesterday with exactly double the amount of snow they got on the ground.

Yeah it's sad that all this happened, but this is like calling 68 a heat wave.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 07:40:34 AM »

Boston "can deal with snow" but a moderate storm hitting mid-day when everyone is at work causes complete gridlock for hours as everyone tries to leave.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 08:32:36 AM by True Federalist »

Precisely. Frozen tundra is a joke. Plus I drove home from work yesterday with exactly double the amount of snow they got on the ground.

A category 1 hurricane would do a number on Nova Scotia.  And when it does, I'll make sure just to mock the people who call it a major storm and brag about how Misssissippi handles bigger storms all the time.

No. Why would they?  And it's not like it would have helped anyway.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »

Yeah, my daugher lives in NOLA and the town was virtually shut down.  She's probably one of the more accomplished NOLA residents at driving in the sh**t weather but she just hunkered down and avoided the mess that the born and bred NOLA residents would have caused on the streets.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »

A category 1 hurricane would do a number on Nova Scotia.  And when it does, I'll make sure just to mock the people who call it a major storm and brag about how Misssissippi handles bigger storms all the time.

No. Why would they?  And it's not like it would have helped anyway.

It just seems unwise to not even have any emergency plows/salt just in case something like this happens, even just enough for a couple of miles. Georgia might not get much snow, but doesn't it get a little bit every year or two? Seems very unwise to have nothing prepared; even though Utah hasn't had a tornado in 15 years, we've got a few preparations in case one hits again. I'm not mocking, I'm just genuinely perplexed as to why there weren't any measures in place, considering that something like this has probably happened more than once (unlike the Utah Tornado, for instance).

And am I reading that Politico article right, and metro Atlanta has a 16 county process to do anything? I understand that metro Atlanta is in several counties, but that seems a bit excessive. Plus, the article points out how unprepared Atlanta was for something like this.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »

A category 1 hurricane would do a number on Nova Scotia.  And when it does, I'll make sure just to mock the people who call it a major storm and brag about how Misssissippi handles bigger storms all the time.

No. Why would they?  And it's not like it would have helped anyway.

It just seems unwise to not even have any emergency plows/salt just in case something like this happens, even just enough for a couple of miles. Georgia might not get much snow, but doesn't it get a little bit every year or two? Seems very unwise to have nothing prepared; even though Utah hasn't had a tornado in 15 years, we've got a few preparations in case one hits again. I'm not mocking, I'm just genuinely perplexed as to why there weren't any measures in place, considering that something like this has probably happened more than once (unlike the Utah Tornado, for instance).

And am I reading that Politico article right, and metro Atlanta has a 16 county process to do anything? I understand that metro Atlanta is in several counties, but that seems a bit excessive. Plus, the article points out how unprepared Atlanta was for something like this.
From what I understand, the Atlanta area is very culturally/racially divided- there's a lot polarization between the city itself and it's suburbs- which makes it difficult for the metro to do things cohesively.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »

Atlanta had 40 plows and 30 salt trucks - my understanding is that the main issue was that they were pretty much useless because of the gridlock (the trucks couldn't even be refilled with salt because they couldn't make it back to their depot).
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »

I understand the lack of infrastructure and the fact that this rarely happens, but such a minimal storm should not have caused such huge delays.

I lived in Upstate NY for some time and we would frequently have roads go unplowed and ice/snow everywhere for weeks (nothing melts when its -10), yet everyone managed to get through just fine.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »

I understand the lack of infrastructure and the fact that this rarely happens, but such a minimal storm should not have caused such huge delays.

I lived in Upstate NY for some time and we would frequently have roads go unplowed and ice/snow everywhere for weeks (nothing melts when its -10), yet everyone managed to get through just fine.

Upstate New York has incredible road capacity for the number of commuters it has. You wouldn't see gridlock in rural Georgia or in Macon in this storm.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »

Oh wow, it snows in Atlanta and people go nuts ... Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: