Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:05:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra  (Read 3831 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 03:25:10 PM »

I think he's laughing at this joke of an "ice storm" being called a "frozen tundra". Some people at my work were laughing looking at the pictures today. I've driven in well over twice as bad as that and still made it to work on time.

Precisely. Frozen tundra is a joke. Plus I drove home from work yesterday with exactly double the amount of snow they got on the ground.

Yeah it's sad that all this happened, but this is like calling 68 a heat wave.

A category 1 hurricane would do a number on Nova Scotia.  And when it does, I'll make sure just to mock the people who call it a major storm and brag about how Misssissippi handles bigger storms all the time.

Hurricane Juan, category 2, landed directly on the provincial capital of Nova Scotia in 2003, killing 8 people. Canadian government got the name Juan removed too (the only name they asked to retire in history). Through, indeed, hurricanes are rare here. Remains of Katrina caused flooding, landslides and cut roads in Quebec, for example and it's what hurricane damages means for most Canadians.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »

They call that a snowstorm? Jesus, the South is terrible.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 03:57:54 PM »

People really don't get it. This is perhaps the best summary of the situation. When one million people jump into their cars (not rail, not subway, not bus) at once and head for the suburbs on roads that are usually congested anyway, this is the result.

And yeah, I look forward to cackling evilly this summer when Yankees and foreigners start dropping dead because it reaches 100 for two days in a row. Should have been prepared!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 07:06:16 PM by True Federalist »

How many Southerners mocked New York and New Jersey because we absorb more powerful hurricanes than Sandy every year? Oh right, 0.  We understand that regions generally aren't well-prepared for disasters that are rare in that region. Instead we just sent aid money and did what we could to help.

But when the tables were flipped this week, Northerners just mocked us instead.  Thanks for nothing.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 07:07:28 PM by True Federalist »

How many Southerners mocked New York and New Jersey because we absorb more powerful hurricanes than Sandy every year? Oh right, 0.  We understand that regions generally aren't well-prepared for disasters that are rare in that region. Instead we just sent aid money and did what we could to help.

But when the tables were flipped this week, Northerners just mocked us instead.  Thanks for nothing.

I totally agree that mockery is uncalled for here... That said... Being judgmental is a universal trait and there were some southerners who thought it was ridiculous when hundreds of Chicagoans or Frenchmen died in a heat wave that would be normal in the South, and plenty of Southerners who voted against aid for Sandy relief in Congress... People can be unsympathetic.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »

People really don't get it. This is perhaps the best summary of the situation. When one million people jump into their cars (not rail, not subway, not bus) at once and head for the suburbs on roads that are usually congested anyway, this is the result.

And yeah, I look forward to cackling evilly this summer when Yankees and foreigners start dropping dead because it reaches 100 for two days in a row. Should have been prepared!

Chicago would like to show you how it's done year-round.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »

Chicago would like to show you how it's done year-round.

Y'all shouldn't strain too much.  
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 07:34:07 PM »

Lol the South.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 11:05:06 PM »

I understand the lack of infrastructure and the fact that this rarely happens, but such a minimal storm should not have caused such huge delays.

I lived in Upstate NY for some time and we would frequently have roads go unplowed and ice/snow everywhere for weeks (nothing melts when its -10), yet everyone managed to get through just fine.

This was ice, not ice and snow. Snow is a heck of a lot easier to drive on than sheets of ice. Add to that mass amounts of traffic, and you have major issues.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 11:08:52 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is truth. I don't doubt that the south is ill-prepared for this sort of thing, but ice storms can cause serious problems even in the north.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HWlTkaIKyI

That's a commute in Minneapolis.  The freeway is still backed up in the snow.  Not like Atlanta...

People plan ahead for the snow here so they'll leave early for their commute or just work from home.  And we have an enormous plow fleet that keeps the roads clear.

Worst case scenario for Minneapolis is when an unexpected snow falls in the hours before and during the evening rush hour.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 12:06:15 AM »

This reminds me of the update thread where a bunch of northerners thought a dog was going to die because it was 95 degrees outside. Assholes.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 12:13:15 AM »

This is what Minneapolis looked like today:

And guess what, I not only left the house and commuted to work, I even spent about an hour playing Ingress in Southeast Minneapolis beforehand! And as usual in my neighborhood people are still going to movies, cafes, restaurants and all that, they're not even stopping from non-essential travel in the snow.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 12:14:33 AM »

Alaska has had the opposite problem, with temperatures way above normal.  Heavy rains caused  an avalanche that cut off the only road into Valdez and left a snow dam which has created a lake.  Since Valdez is a port supplies can be barged in, which is good because road crews can't remove the avalanche until the lake drains.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 12:26:29 AM »

I would say though that regardless of region the real lesson from all this is why designing an area like the disastrous sprawled out mess that metro Atlanta is is a bad idea.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 12:36:24 AM »

This reminds me of the update thread where a bunch of northerners thought a dog was going to die because it was 95 degrees outside. Assholes.

As it wasn't clear that the dog had access to shade and hot water and the person responsible for taking care of it is demonstrably incapable of taking care of himself, there was plenty of reason for concern. (Furthermore, it's still not clear what happened to the dog in question.)

Anyway, I have no idea why taking proper care of pets has anything to do with poking fun at people in the midst of a snowstorm.

There were people who thought the dog would die because of the heat. That is why there were frantic calls for Bushie to bring the dog inside, not because the dog wouldn't get water. Northerners think 95 degrees is enough to kill someone whereas southerners can't drive on a couple inches of snow and ice. Fair deal, I would say, but there are some assholes here (and all over the internet) who can only see it from their own perspective.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 12:47:42 AM »

This is what Minneapolis looked like today:

And guess what, I not only left the house and commuted to work, I even spent about an hour playing Ingress in Southeast Minneapolis beforehand! And as usual in my neighborhood people are still going to movies, cafes, restaurants and all that, they're not even stopping from non-essential travel in the snow.

Driving in snow is not remotely similar to driving in ice.  The coefficient of kinetic friction rubber on ice is ~0.05, while the coefficient of rubber on snow is ~0.3.  You have an order of magnitude difference between the two.  It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, when there is a glaze of ice on the road, it's very hard to maneuver if you're going over ~10 mph.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »

I would say though that regardless of region the real lesson from all this is why designing an area like the disastrous sprawled out mess that metro Atlanta is is a bad idea.

I agree, but can we honestly say that most Northeastern and Midwestern cities are better in this regard? Median commutes are a bit shorter, more people use public transit, and our cities and inner suburbs are more densely built, but most people in the region remain no less automobile-dependent than those in the South.

Not that I've driven every loop in the US, but I do find Atlanta to be the most unpleasant with Houston probably second.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »

All I can say is try biking in that kind of weather... x10 (including ice... it's not for the faint of heart, I must admit)

Anyways, interesting map I found on facebook, posted by forum member the506:

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »

That's a measurement of what?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »

Me or Earl?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »

All I can say is try biking in that kind of weather... x10 (including ice... it's not for the faint of heart, I must admit)

I'm assuming that's the map of how much snow it takes to cancel school.  It does not factor in wind or cold temperatures.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »

Earl.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »

I realize that it's poor form to laugh at other peoples' misery, but the simple fact is that you can't just can't rationalize Atlanta's insane response and utter seizing-up at two inches of snow by saying it's not the sort of weather they normally need to prepare for.  The fact of the matter is that Atlanta has built itself in such a way as to be non-resilient in the face of, really, any adversity, and has done so for shall we say less than noble reasons.

So, I'm sorry for all your suffering down there- but your region needs to own up to the fact that a lot of these wounds were self-inflicted.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »

I'm assuming that's the map of how much snow it takes to cancel school.  It does not factor in wind or cold temperatures.

Yes, that's it. I hadn't realized the map wasn't labelled.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies