Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:54:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra  (Read 3890 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: January 30, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
« edited: January 30, 2014, 08:32:36 AM by True Federalist »

I think he's laughing at this joke of an "ice storm" being called a "frozen tundra". Some people at my work were laughing looking at the pictures today. I've driven in well over twice as bad as that and still made it to work on time.

Precisely. Frozen tundra is a joke. Plus I drove home from work yesterday with exactly double the amount of snow they got on the ground.

Yeah it's sad that all this happened, but this is like calling 68 a heat wave.

A category 1 hurricane would do a number on Nova Scotia.  And when it does, I'll make sure just to mock the people who call it a major storm and brag about how Misssissippi handles bigger storms all the time.

They didn't even have a couple of emergency snow plows or ice salt?
No. Why would they?  And it's not like it would have helped anyway.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 07:06:16 PM by True Federalist »

How many Southerners mocked New York and New Jersey because we absorb more powerful hurricanes than Sandy every year? Oh right, 0.  We understand that regions generally aren't well-prepared for disasters that are rare in that region. Instead we just sent aid money and did what we could to help.

But when the tables were flipped this week, Northerners just mocked us instead.  Thanks for nothing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:23:14 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2014, 12:25:40 AM by Harry »

Sorry, South. Yes, it's sad people got stuck in their cars and schools, born on the highway, etc. BUT, the fact is these results over TWO INCHES OF SNOW AND A DUSTING OF ICE is absurd. The comparisons over heat or hurricaines: The north and east experience both without falling apart or suffering fatalities any worse than dear ol' Dixie.

This reaction to two inches of snow and a little ice is akin to the north calling a "heat advisory" for it getting over 85. Northerners aren't bemused at kids being stranded in school or on the highway, but because from our perspective Atlanta's "crisis" could've been solved by 50 midwestern bus drivers.

...  AGAIN, the South is hit by storms more powerful than Sandy (a category 1 hurricane) several times most years.  For example, Hurricane Isaac, another category 1 hurricane earlier that same year, hit Louisiana but did less than 5% of the economic $ damage.  You really think the comparison to hurricanes isn't valid?

And yet, despite all that, the South just pitched in to help NY and NJ, instead of mocking those areas for not being as well-prepared for hurricanes.  You didn't see a single post on this forum saying "LOL stupid North it was just a category 1!!!!"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »

Sorry, South. Yes, it's sad people got stuck in their cars and schools, born on the highway, etc. BUT, the fact is these results over TWO INCHES OF SNOW AND A DUSTING OF ICE is absurd. The comparisons over heat or hurricaines: The north and east experience both without falling apart or suffering fatalities any worse than dear ol' Dixie.

This reaction to two inches of snow and a little ice is akin to the north calling a "heat advisory" for it getting over 85. Northerners aren't bemused at kids being stranded in school or on the highway, but because from our perspective Atlanta's "crisis" could've been solved by 50 midwestern bus drivers.

...  AGAIN, the South is hit by storms more powerful than Sandy (a category 1 hurricane) several times most years.  For example, Hurricane Isaac, another category 1 hurricane earlier that same year, hit Louisiana but did less than 5% of the economic $ damage.  You really think the comparison to hurricanes isn't valid?

And yet, despite all that, the South just pitched in to help NY and NJ, instead of mocking those areas for not being as well-prepared for hurricanes.  You didn't see a single post on this forum saying "LOL stupid North it was just a category 1!!!!"

Actually the South, rather than pitching in, voted against Sandy aid.  Don't you remember that?

It's a bit rich to have you trying to school northerners on generosity when the flow of money is and always has been from us to you.

Wrong on both counts, unsurprisingly.  The voters against Sandy relief were the Tea Party assholes who are found all over the country.  Certainly not just the South.

Nobody disputes that the South gets more in federal funding than it gives, but when you look at private charity donations, the South always leads the way, and that's not even adjusting for the lower per capita incomes.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

There's a world of difference between 2 inches of a snow and a category 1 hurricane for chrissake.

I'm sure most Canadians and Northerners would say a category 1 hurricane is a much bigger deal than a surprise snowstorm.  And most Southerners would find the snowstorm more daunting than a weak hurricane.

I think your point just proves mine -- regions can handle the weather they're used to, and they are completely unable to handle weak versions of weather they're not used to having.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »

And how many Southern posters mocked Minneapolis for being unprepared or having more damage than a Southern city would under a similar storm?  0.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »

There's a world of difference between 2 inches of a snow and a category 1 hurricane for chrissake.

I'm sure most Canadians and Northerners would say a category 1 hurricane is a much bigger deal than a surprise snowstorm.  And most Southerners would find the snowstorm more daunting than a weak hurricane.

Really? So cat 1 hurricanes usually result in 0 death toll and minimal property damage in the south? Give me a break.

What???  Did I say that?  I just read over my posts and I don't feel like I even remotely implied that.

All I'm saying is, "Regions are well equipped to handle extreme weather that's common for the area.  The North can handle snow and ice storms without missing a beat.  The South has no choice but to absorb hurricanes every year.  However, when one of those weather events hits a region where it usually doesn't, even a weak example can wreak havoc.  For example, a relatively small snowstorm made Atlanta grind to a halt, and a relatively weak hurricane that hit NY and NJ turned into the 2nd costliest natural disaster in U.S. history.  Said snowstorm wouldn't have impacted a Northern city nearly as bad, and said hurricane wouldn't have had nearly the impact on a Southern city."

I can't for the life of me understand why that (obviously true? or not?) point bothers you so much.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies