Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:06:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra  (Read 3851 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: January 29, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »

please don't laugh guys. I had family members who were stuck in their cars for hours just trying to go a few miles down the road. It sounds ridiculous, since it wasn't a lot of snow, but we were caught off guard this time. The snow was supposed to stay south of Atlanta but by the time we got hit, everybody was already at work or school and tried to leave at the same time. Combine that with nobody knowing how to drive in snow and no DOT preparation like salt or sand, and it made for a huge disaster.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:11 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 08:31:52 AM by True Federalist »

I think he's laughing at this joke of an "ice storm" being called a "frozen tundra". Some people at my work were laughing looking at the pictures today. I've driven in well over twice as bad as that and still made it to work on time.

Good for you. You're from Minnesota, right? Of course you are more skilled at driving in snow and ice. If Minnesotans didn't have that skill they would be shut ins for about half of the year. But how well do you think people up there would handle several days of 100 degree heat with high humidity? What about hurricanes barreling through the twin cities, dropping several inches of rain and hurricane force winds? People in the south deal with that all the time and honestly, when we hear northerners complaining about heatwaves we're just as perplexed as to why you can't handle it.

Sorry for the rant, I've just been very disappointed in people's reactions to the situation in Georgia now. The "those stupid southerners can't even handle an inch of snow" comments are so inappropriate right now considering the hell that some people had to go through. Babies were delivered on the highway, people abandoned their cars and slept in restaurants and grocery stores and little kids had to sleep in their school gymnasiums.

We can certainly have a conversation about what went wrong and how we can avoid this in the future but I hope everyone refrains from jokes.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 12:51:28 AM »

As for Deal, I just saw him on local evening news brushing off responsibility by saying "You can't predict mother nature"? I was like lol go carter but really I don't see this being a huge impact on the race unless something even worse happens or Deal says something just downright awful/insensitive.

Yeah, as bad as this is, people will forget about it by election time. Republican voters here in Georgia always find a way to pin the blame on someone else. Everything in Georgia is always Obama's fault, even though anybody who actually has any power in this state is a Republican. I'm sure those stranded motorists are blaming Obama as we speak.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies