Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:28:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Deadly Ice storm turns Atlanta into frozen tundra  (Read 3898 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »

It just seems unwise to not even have any emergency plows/salt just in case something like this happens, even just enough for a couple of miles. Georgia might not get much snow, but doesn't it get a little bit every year or two? Seems very unwise to have nothing prepared; even though Utah hasn't had a tornado in 15 years, we've got a few preparations in case one hits again. I'm not mocking, I'm just genuinely perplexed as to why there weren't any measures in place, considering that something like this has probably happened more than once (unlike the Utah Tornado, for instance).

And am I reading that Politico article right, and metro Atlanta has a 16 county process to do anything? I understand that metro Atlanta is in several counties, but that seems a bit excessive. Plus, the article points out how unprepared Atlanta was for something like this.

Atlanta had 40 plows and 30 salt trucks - my understanding is that the main issue was that they were pretty much useless because of the gridlock (the trucks couldn't even be refilled with salt because they couldn't make it back to their depot).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies