Dems: Save Senate, ditch House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:17:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Dems: Save Senate, ditch House
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dems: Save Senate, ditch House  (Read 1150 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »

POLITICO stating the obvious, that Senate triage is in order. Pelosi probably won't retire either.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »

Good. Pelosi needs to stick it out until Hoyer is too old to succeed her.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 01:21:21 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 01:23:29 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Who would get it, then? Pelosi, Hoyer, Clyburn, and Lewis, are all 73 or 74.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:32:29 AM »

Who would get it, then? Pelosi, Hoyer, Clyburn, and Lewis, are all 73 or 74.
Van Hollen and Becerra seemed to be the two most talked about as future House leaders.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 01:43:11 AM »

^Outside this forum though?
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »

Good. Pelosi needs to stick it out until Hoyer is too old to succeed her.
If Hillary runs (and wins) in 2016, and Democrats take back the House (....HAH!), I would love to see Hillary at the rostrum and Pelosi in the Speaker's chair at the future State of Union. Two women up there would be a sight to see. But that's just my fantasy.

Hoyer is a year older than Pelosi, she'll outlast him not to worry.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 03:11:45 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2014, 03:14:37 PM by OC »

They had no chance at House anyways. Minimize loses and gain Governors to control the next redistricting map.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »

That's a bad idea for a few reasons. Out of the House Democrats, the House GOP, the Senate Democrats, and the Senate GOP, the House Dems are raising more money than any of them which is pivotal especially when you look at 2010 and then we also have this problem that their are Senators in vulnerable seats like in Alaska with Begich or North Carolina with Hagan who don't want any help from the President and the same would likely apply to Pryor and Landrieu since their states don't want anything to do with President Obama either. Helping out in SD or MT won't do him much good either and WV is lol. Besides, Republicans pretty much gave up any chance they have of taking down Hagan anyways and judging from the recent polls and money figures in AK, Treadwell isn't as vulnerable as I thought so if we easily hold both of those, the Senate will be under Democratic control.

So b/c of that, we should really target the House. Assuming we win FL-13, we'll only need about 20-25 seats (depending on how many seats the Democrats lose themselves), and those can be found in a multitude of states with retirees or straight-out vulnerable Republicans in Atlasian red states. Also, if we hold the Senate and Republicans hold the House, that will still make President Obama be a lame-duck President considering Boehner wants nothing to do with gun safety or a minimum wage. We're better off playing the lottery here in a win-it-all (Democratic control of House & Senate) or lose-it-all (Republican control of House & Senate) scenario.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »

So the Democrats are really abandoning the 50-state strategy now...*

*That's not to say I think the Democrats will win the House this year, but conceding half the legislative branch sounds unwise to me.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2014, 12:08:06 AM by Joshua »

So b/c of that, we should really target the House. Assuming we win FL-13, we'll only need about 20-25 seats (depending on how many seats the Democrats lose themselves), and those can be found in a multitude of states with retirees or straight-out vulnerable Republicans in Atlasian red states. Also, if we hold the Senate and Republicans hold the House, that will still make President Obama be a lame-duck President considering Boehner wants nothing to do with gun safety or a minimum wage. We're better off playing the lottery here in a win-it-all (Democratic control of House & Senate) or lose-it-all (Republican control of House & Senate) scenario.

That actually makes a lot of sense. As much as I hate to admit it, if Dems don't pick up the House (they really have no chance of doing that as of now), Obama's second term is basically just as useless as the last three years have been. Especially because I can't really see the GOP picking up more than five Senate seats already (which would leave Senate under Democratic control), they are basically guaranteed control of the Senate after the 2016 elections, even if the GOP makes it to 51 seats in 2014.

The House is just so badly gerrymandered that even if all the focus is put on the House in 2014, they really aren't likely to pick it up before new district lines are drawn again unless there's another 2006/2008 wave. So I guess they can minimize the losses in the Senate there, but they are likely to get it back likely no matter what.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 03:12:11 AM »

That's a bad idea for a few reasons. Out of the House Democrats, the House GOP, the Senate Democrats, and the Senate GOP, the House Dems are raising more money than any of them which is pivotal especially when you look at 2010 and then we also have this problem that their are Senators in vulnerable seats like in Alaska with Begich or North Carolina with Hagan who don't want any help from the President and the same would likely apply to Pryor and Landrieu since their states don't want anything to do with President Obama either. Helping out in SD or MT won't do him much good either and WV is lol. Besides, Republicans pretty much gave up any chance they have of taking down Hagan anyways and judging from the recent polls and money figures in AK, Treadwell isn't as vulnerable as I thought so if we easily hold both of those, the Senate will be under Democratic control.

I don't see 20-25 seats Democrats can win in this year. In fact - i see, but i see approximately the same number of seats Democrats can lose this year, so, for now, it's a sort of "wash" to me (really: +3-4 Republican)
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:28:57 AM »

20-25 is a lot of seats to change hands.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »

That actually makes a lot of sense. As much as I hate to admit it, if Dems don't pick up the House (they really have no chance of doing that as of now), Obama's second term is basically just as useless as the last three years have been. Especially because I can't really see the GOP picking up more than five Senate seats already (which would leave Senate under Democratic control), they are basically guaranteed control of the Senate after the 2016 elections, even if the GOP makes it to 51 seats in 2014.

The House is just so badly gerrymandered that even if all the focus is put on the House in 2014, they really aren't likely to pick it up before new district lines are drawn again unless there's another 2006/2008 wave. So I guess they can minimize the losses in the Senate there, but they are likely to get it back likely no matter what.

At this point, does each party have to wait for something to happen to become have a shot in the house where they are not the majority?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies