Waxman to retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:30:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Waxman to retire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Waxman to retire  (Read 5179 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »

Fluke is of course the best candidate for this seat, because she'll make the Republicans say horribly sexist things non-stop for the next 8 months.

I'd think Wendy Gruel would make Conservatives say the same things... And she's already in the race.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 12:00:36 PM »

Any chance we could get say four Democrats and two Republicans to run and then have the two Republicans face off against each other in the runoff of the jungle primary?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »

Any chance we could get say four Democrats and two Republicans to run and then have the two Republicans face off against each other in the runoff of the jungle primary?

There was some excitement about this possibility on RRH, but the predominant thought was this could only happen if one of the Republicans is at least semi-prominent (a Bloomfield I run, or apparently Steve Cooley lives in this district, though he won't run).

If Bloomfield runs, could he be considered the favorite?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »

There was some excitement about this possibility on RRH, but the predominant thought was this could only happen if one of the Republicans is at least semi-prominent (a Bloomfield I run, or apparently Steve Cooley lives in this district, though he won't run).

If Bloomfield runs, could he be considered the favorite?

Bloomfield only did so well because he caught Waxman sleeping. A Democrat will succeed Waxman, no matter what.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 07:23:37 PM »

Fluke is of course the best candidate for this seat, because she'll make the Republicans say horribly sexist things non-stop for the next 8 months.

I'd think Wendy Gruel would make Conservatives say the same things... And she's already in the race.

Nobody outside of LA except maybe some of us knows who Wendy Greuel is. For all intents and purposes she's a local figure running for an LA seat in Congress. Sandra Fluke is a national figure that conservatives have hated for years.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 07:32:50 PM »

Nobody outside of LA except maybe some of us knows who Wendy Greuel is. For all intents and purposes she's a local figure running for an LA seat in Congress. Sandra Fluke is a national figure that conservatives have hated for years.

The point is... if they're going to say that about one woman... why wouldn't they say such things about any other woman?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »

The point is... if they're going to say that about one woman... why wouldn't they say such things about any other woman?

I'm not denying that they wouldn't. I'm saying that there's going to be a huge ripple effect to other races if a national figure gets the nomination than a local one. A chorus of conservatives across the nation slut-shaming someone will make the GOP look HORRIBLE. As for Wendy Greuel, nobody outside of LA gives a sh**t about her.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »

Let's see.  Cornell graduate, law student, founder of organization that protects victims of domestic violence, smart, well-spoken, and respected.  Yeah, I can see why some people would have serious problems with that.

The GE shouldn't be a problem.  Here's hoping she wipes the floor in the primary.  Greuel might be a problem because although she's not a national figure, she probably is fairly well known where it matters.

We'll with that thinking, I'm inclined to support her. I guess I'm still a bit sore about the Dems devoting a night of the DNC to the "War on Women" instead of focusing entirely on the economy. It worked, so I guess it'll work again.
Endorsed.

The GOP's history on women's (as well as most social) issues is so bad they're not even allowed to talk about it in public.  Democrats don't have to go down the same route and talking about these issues has shown, as you said, to be a winning strategy.  What's wrong with having your convention focus on many issues instead of one?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »

Let's see.  Cornell graduate, law student, founder of organization that protects victims of domestic violence, smart, well-spoken, and respected.  Yeah, I can see why some people would have serious problems with that.

Forgive me while I barf all over your post.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 09:21:21 AM »

She's in! Cheesy
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »

Wholeheartedly endorsed, because no one else running for the seat will piss off Limbaugh like she will Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »

Sad Sad Sad Sad
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »

Yay! Smiley Smiley
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 10:23:54 AM »

Endorsed!
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2014, 10:39:12 AM by seanNJ9 »

My only question would be that she's not not from California, let alone the district. Isn't that a problem for her? She's an east coaster, born and raised in Pennsylvania and went to school in NY And DC. She really has no ties to the state. I guess she moved there in the last year.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »

My only question would be that she's not not from California, let alone the district. Isn't that a problem for her? She's an east coaster, born and raised in Pennsylvania and went to school in NY And DC. She really has no ties to the state. I guess she moved there in the last year.

In one word - a carpetbagger)))))
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »

Sandra Fluke in Congress will be AMAZING.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »

Obviously, Fluke lived in LA long before Waxman announced his retirement.  This is hardly what I'd call 'carpetbagging.'
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:37 AM »

Obviously, Fluke lived in LA long before Waxman announced his retirement.  This is hardly what I'd call 'carpetbagging.'
define long
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 10:54:50 AM »

define long

I don't know?  A year?  Two years?  That's not really the point.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 11:55:59 AM »

Important detail: An adviser said that Fluke had to file for the party's endorsement because of a looming deadline and that she's still keeping her options open.  Technically she didn't announce, but I think at this point she's very likely to stay in the race.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »

This is stupid. (Am I allowed to use that word or is it offensive to stupid people?)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »

Safe D (obviously).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »

Fluke is running for State Senate instead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies