critically overrated music
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:42:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  critically overrated music
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: critically overrated music  (Read 1621 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 12:34:22 AM »

Childish Gambino.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 12:53:43 AM »

Vampire Weekend has never caught my fancy.  My Bloody Valentine gets name checked with Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, and Jesus and Mary Chain, but I don't get it. I like the Clash and Joe Strummer's post-Clash work, but the Sex Pistols were  just a mess.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 01:56:21 AM »

I never liked Velvet Underground that much, I liked Reed but not the Velvet's. I am more into Iggy Pop and the Stooges/MC5 ahead of them.

Beatles are overrated against most British bands of their time. They get played a great deal and can get old. Stones/Who/Kinks/Animals all have stuff I find better, I do enjoy McCartney solo though.

Bryan Adams was overrated in his day.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 02:01:46 AM »

I never liked Velvet Underground that much, I liked Reed but not the Velvet's. I am more into Iggy Pop and the Stooges/MC5 ahead of them.

Beatles are overrated against most British bands of their time. They get played a great deal and can get old. Stones/Who/Kinks/Animals all have stuff I find better, I do enjoy McCartney solo though.

Bryan Adams was overrated in his day.
Who actually liked Bryan Adams?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »

I haven't really heard anything by Sonic Youth that I enjoyed much.. but I haven't really listened to very much of Sonic Youth.

I'm going to be all wanky and express that I don't really do the rating artists based on their whole works. I go by songs, sometimes by albums. I don't like Kanye West generally but I absolutely do love some of the songs on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. It does have interesting self-aware moments, amusing rhymes, and much more interesting music than what I (probably ignorantly because I don't listen to much) associate with hip hop. It can be really cheesy and dumb.. but that doesn't take away from the good parts to me.

As for Macklemore, well, I did like it before I heard a few of his songs before the four millionth listen. The lyrics (especially that corny chorus) of Can't Hold Us are terrible but in the right mood the whole of the song is fun. One Love is.. good intentioned and stuff, but isn't what I'd qualify as listenable or profound.

Magnetic Zeroes I don't know too much of beside 69 which, as someone said, has a poor ratio of good songs to bleh. But the good songs are very good. I lost that album in a pile somewhere, I want to listen to it again. Like a chicken with it's head cut ooooff..

And Radiohead can create some really, really wonderful songs. When the do something well, they do it really really well. I could listen to Exit Music for a Film build and explode for the rest of my life and it would never get old. sh**t gives me chills every single time. Living in a Glass House fills me with happy. But a lot of their catalog is bland and forgettable, too.

So, uh, yeah. The only additions I can think to add are the really dumb classic rock bands that are probably only awful to me because of being overplayed. I'm pretty damn tired of the Rolling Stones because I've heard their several dozen hits a million times, but I bet there are lots of individual songs I've never heard that I'd love. Ramble off.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 08:54:16 AM »

Are Kings of Leon critically acclaimed? I think they're pretty bad. Imagine Dragons too.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »

Are Kings of Leon critically acclaimed?

Hells no.

I suppose that gushing over Led Zeppelin is limited to certain circles? I'm not sure who to look toward as a guide to what is the critical mainstream when opinion is divided. Especially when it comes to historical acts.

I think critics are pretty united in their acclaim for Led Zeppelin:
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/led-zeppelin-mn0000139026/discography

Yeah, maybe now, but back in the day...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/led-zeppelin-i-19690315
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »

The Rolling Stones, by far.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 11:34:13 PM »

Pink Floyd stands out as a band I should like on paper but couldn't give a damn about in practice. They have songs I like (Astronomy Domine, See Emily Play), songs I absolutely hate (Money, Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2, Mother), but for the most part I come away with no lasting impression at all. Total muzak.

I'm always baffled when Rush is mentioned alongside other classic rock and prog legends. Talk about a band late to the party with nothing to say.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 02:46:37 AM »

Are Kings of Leon critically acclaimed? I think they're pretty bad. Imagine Dragons too.

I don't know why, but I've always had a hard time believing that Imagine Dragons is a thing that exists.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 02:57:40 AM »

I dunno about 'critically acclaimed', but a lot of people like them. I've always found them pretty meh, though granted a lot of that is down to "Only by the Night", which was probably the most popular/criticised album of them.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:31 AM »

Taylor Swift.  The fact that she's so popular among country music fans makes me dislike her more.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »

Get out.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies