critically overrated music (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:37:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  critically overrated music (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: critically overrated music  (Read 1674 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: January 30, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
« edited: January 30, 2014, 03:35:56 PM by traininthedistance »

The Hold Steady is one of my favorite bands, or at least they were back when they still had a keyboard player.  Ain't embarrassed to admit that.  Yeah, their sound is a complete ripoff of '70s classic rock... but I like '70s classic rock.

You know what?  I agree with you 100 percent on the Mountain Goats, Magnetic Fields, and Morrissey.  Can't stand 'em.

The most overrated band of all time, of course, is the Sex Pistols.  
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »

Are Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry etc. actually rated by most people, or are just well-known?

A lot of people posting this thread have overlooked that it's asking about CRITICALLY overrated music and consequently missing the mark badly. The Sex Pistols is a very good answer (although one for which the critical tide has begun to turn). So are Radiohead, The Clash, and Led Zeppelin.

Sticking to recent stuff - because I think that almost all music recorded prior to the mid '90s that hasn't faded from the collective memory is at least somewhat overrated - I'd add a few more:

M.I.A.
Vampire Weekend
Drake
Kanye West

...actually, I had a few others in mind, but that's probably enough that I'll need to hide for a while.

Do the critics really like Led Zep?  I know they didn't like 'em too much back when they were active; sure they get plenty of hagiography now but I suspect that's more a function of their historical popularity and importance more than critical taste.

I'll admit to liking Zep and Radiohead, though the critical slobbering over Kid A is certainly... less than warranted.  But I feel like saying that is less a brag and more an admission that my tastes are in many ways really kind of pedestrian and whitebread.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »

Are Kings of Leon critically acclaimed?

Hells no.

I suppose that gushing over Led Zeppelin is limited to certain circles? I'm not sure who to look toward as a guide to what is the critical mainstream when opinion is divided. Especially when it comes to historical acts.

I think critics are pretty united in their acclaim for Led Zeppelin:
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/led-zeppelin-mn0000139026/discography

Yeah, maybe now, but back in the day...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/led-zeppelin-i-19690315
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies