Has the Jessica Lunsford murder made you pro-3 strike laws?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:35:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has the Jessica Lunsford murder made you pro-3 strike laws?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Has the Jessica Lunsford murder made you pro-3 strike laws?
Yes

No

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Has the Jessica Lunsford murder made you pro-3 strike laws?  (Read 3349 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »
« edited: March 19, 2005, 08:09:46 PM by nickshepDEM »

I heard on the news that John Couey the man who murdered Jessica Lunsford has been arrested a total 24 times and was convicted twice for sexual assault on a minor.

Has this case made you more pro-3 strike laws?

I heard another suggestion on the news that all registered sex offenders should be forced to wear a unique ancle braclet etc... What are your thoughts on this idea?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:11:09 PM »

I favor three strike laws, always have. In addition, I feel that any child molester should face a mandatory life sentance.

Im with ya'.  Im absolutley sick over the murder of that poor girl and baffled as to how that piece of sh**t John Couey was on the street?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:12:38 PM »

I like that bracelet idea. My feelings about sex offenders are that they lose all rights to any kind of privacy.  On their house, they should be forced to display a sign that denotes them as a sex offender.  On their car and their person similar things should be done.  

I oppose 3 strikes laws.  I support two, or even one strike laws for violent/sexual crimes.  Anyone that committs one of these crimes is obviously not going to be fixed.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:09:18 PM »

I support the death penalty for all non-reformable child rapists.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 09:35:15 PM »

This type of case is nothing new.

I've supported very harsh treatment for this type of criminal long before this case.  For me, this case changes nothing.  I was already awake to this problem.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 10:04:28 PM »

I personally oppose 3 strikes laws, as I think that the unique circumstances of each individual need to be taken into account, and that the judge and the jury are better able to judge the pecularities of the individual case. If judges and juries are generally incompetent in their ability to make these judgements, then we need to fix that problem at the source, rather than treating the symptoms.

That being said, I certainly favor harsh treatment of criminals, especially child molesters.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 10:05:55 PM »

I supported the 3 strikes law long before this case.
Sex offenders tend to be unreformable and their crimes tend to get more violent as time goes on, so I support very long sentences or life for them.

In this case the prosecutor wants the death penalty. Sounds like a just and fitting punishment to me.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 10:08:04 PM »

I supported the 3 strikes law long before this case.
Sex offenders tend to be unreformable and their crimes tend to get more violent as time goes on, so I support very long sentences or life for them.

In this case the prosecutor wants the death penalty. Sounds like a just and fitting punishment to me.

Why do we have to wait for this to happen before we call for the death penalty? Why not stop these animals in their tracks before they DO kill some little girl or boy?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 10:21:02 PM »

I personally oppose 3 strikes laws, as I think that the unique circumstances of each individual need to be taken into account, and that the judge and the jury are better able to judge the pecularities of the individual case. If judges and juries are generally incompetent in their ability to make these judgements, then we need to fix that problem at the source, rather than treating the symptoms.

That being said, I certainly favor harsh treatment of criminals, especially child molesters.

Nym, there aren't "unique circumstances" if a guy molests a child, molests a child again, and than rapes a young girl.  The fact is that he committed three heinous crimes, which, for any one of them, he should have received life in prison.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 10:31:15 PM »

The 3-strike laws as they are used are largely ineffective. For as much as politicians like to brag about passing these laws, why didn't these laws prevent this murder from happening?

However, anyone who molests a child should face life in prison - with NO amusements whatsoever.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 10:35:46 PM »

The 3-strike laws as they are used are largely ineffective. For as much as politicians like to brag about passing these laws, why didn't these laws prevent this murder from happening?

However, anyone who molests a child should face life in prison - with NO amusements whatsoever.

I'm glad to see you have some logical stances.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 10:51:49 PM »

Nym, there aren't "unique circumstances" if a guy molests a child, molests a child again, and than rapes a young girl. The fact is that he committed three heinous crimes, which, for any one of them, he should have received life in prison.

Well I would agree that in that case, the person certainly should get life in prison. Child molesting should be dealt with very harshly, but I was talking about 3 strikes laws in general, not specifically related to child molesting. I just don't think that someone should automatically go to jail for life for commiting 3 felonies, without at least considering what they are or other factors.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 10:53:52 PM »

One guy in California got life in prison because he stole a slice of pizza that probably cost about a dollar.

Yet child molesters serve a few years, and then they're out again to commit more of their nauseating, evil deeds.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 10:55:49 PM »

3 strikes laws need massive reforms, which probably aren't possible, however just what bandit is suggesting might work.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »

Nym, there aren't "unique circumstances" if a guy molests a child, molests a child again, and than rapes a young girl. The fact is that he committed three heinous crimes, which, for any one of them, he should have received life in prison.

Well I would agree that in that case, the person certainly should get life in prison. Child molesting should be dealt with very harshly, but I was talking about 3 strikes laws in general, not specifically related to child molesting. I just don't think that someone should automatically go to jail for life for commiting 3 felonies, without at least considering what they are or other factors.

I thought you were talking of just crimes like the one above, or similar.  Still though, 3 felonies isn't exactly easy to do.  If you committ two of them, and then get out.  You should be damn well careful that you don't get caught doing something else.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 11:07:09 PM »

One guy in California got life in prison because he stole a slice of pizza that probably cost about a dollar.

Yet child molesters serve a few years, and then they're out again to commit more of their nauseating, evil deeds.

There is more to the California case. It was his third offense and he stold the pizza from a child. - How low can you get? He was sentenced to life but only served a few years. I would have made him serve the life term because he has demonstrated repeatedly that he cannot abide by the rules of society that protect us all. Screw him!

I agree with a harsh penalty for child molesters.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 11:20:38 PM »

No, but child molesters should get 20 years to life, no parole, depending on the severity of the case.  20 years for say a 27 year old and a 14 year old.  A 47 year old and an 8 year old should be life in prison. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 11:23:52 PM »

No, but child molesters should get 20 years to life, no parole, depending on the severity of the case.  20 years for say a 27 year old and a 14 year old.  A 47 year old and an 8 year old should be life in prison. 

So when he gets out in 20 years he can go and rape and kill a little girl right? sorry that already happened.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 11:31:24 PM »

Flyers, who cares the age.  The fact is the girl was molested by someone older than her.  That alone deserves life, no parole.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 12:31:22 AM »

Flyers, who cares the age.  The fact is the girl was molested by someone older than her.  That alone deserves life, no parole.

The best part is that he opposes Megan's Law, too.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 01:06:52 AM »

Says who?  Surely you have to judge the situation.  Megan's Law should not have to be created.  A person should be in jail until he is rehabilitated OR a menace to society, in which case he shoudl be locked up, throw away the key.  There shoudl eb no badge of shame outside of jailtime.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 01:09:00 AM »

Says who?  Surely you have to judge the situation.  Megan's Law should not have to be created.  A person should be in jail until he is rehabilitated OR a menace to society, in which case he shoudl be locked up, throw away the key.  There shoudl eb no badge of shame outside of jailtime.

Wow, this is the thought process of a pervert.  Soft of child molestation. Wow
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 02:18:31 AM »

3 strike laws can be very vague.  Child molesting crap like that no question I'm in favor of it.  However where 3 strike laws tend to be used the most is various drug arrests and what not,, and I am 100% against 3 strike laws when it comes down to drugs or petty type thievs.  Their is a major differencee between someone arrested for drugs a few times or a few petty thefts and a child molestor.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 03:58:46 AM »

Wow, this is the thought process of a pervert.  Soft of child molestation. Wow

Speaking of thought process- YOU HAVE NONE!!!!  You automatically think toughest punsihment possible without thinking of any ramifications or poor reason for doing so.  Granted do you think a 19 year old guy that had sex with a 15 yr old girl should be thrown in jail FOR LIFE??  Hell no.  He may not have known her age for she may have actually looked older than him!  Ever think of that?  Of course not.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 06:52:58 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2005, 06:57:54 AM by opebo »

Obviously there is a difference between a guy having sex with a sexually mature 14, 15, or 16 year old - it is quite possible she might simply tell him she is 18 - and having sex with a pre-pubescent.  Besides, 16 is the legal age of consent in many states. 

There's a bit of a group feeding frenzy of self-righteous indignation here.  I think we all need to step back and remind ourselves that 99% of 'statutory rape' is just some college guy having consensual sex with some high school girl who's snuck into a kegger.  Hardly something that deserves jail time!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies