Illinois Republican apology proves polarity in state-to-state politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:36:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois Republican apology proves polarity in state-to-state politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Illinois Republican apology proves polarity in state-to-state politics  (Read 1528 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:11:30 AM »

"Republican candidate for Illinois governor Bill Brady says he was "insensitive" when he said out-of-work people don't want jobs because they enjoy collecting unemployment benefits."

If a Texas Republican refused to say something like this, they would be called a RINO and be primaried.

I think it highlights just how different the spectrum are from state to state. Also, I'm glad he was kept in line for such a generalization.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:22:18 AM »

A Republican in Texas can say whatever he wants and still win the general. A Republican in Illinois doesn't have the same luxury. Hence the party holds them to different standards.

I still say Todd Akin would've won had he been running in Texas.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:52 AM »

A Republican in Texas can say whatever he wants and still win the general. A Republican in Illinois doesn't have the same luxury. Hence the party holds them to different standards.

Agree. And even would have votes to spare. The same for Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, - almost all South except South-Atlantic states (may be even there, but only in South Carolina and Georgia)
Tutankhuman Bakari Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:09:51 AM »

He is the extremist candidate of them all and won't carry The Cook suburbs like Dillard can. His lead is probably inflated like last time. He won't get pass the unions and Cullerton on his voting record against minimum wage increase.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:41:13 PM »

I'd be surprised if Illinois doesn't elect a Republican this time around.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »

Illinois is NOT a conservative state, so Quinn has a chance against conservative (especially - social conservative) candidate. Can you offer someone electable and socially moderate?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »

You may be in for a surprise. Of course the polls are leaning R right now because of animosity toward Quinn, but as election day nears the Democratic machine will get behind Quinn and use all of their resources to smear the Republican candidate. Chicago will turn out as usual and I think Quinn will be re-elected by Illinoisans holding their noses in the booth.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »

Rutherford seems the strongest to me, having been elected statewide afterall. But again, 2010 was favorable for him, so I'd hope he can ramp up downstate and suburban margins enough to overcome Chicago's vote dump and finally get some reforms done.

The Illinois super majority waves hello. A Republican governor will not be able to push any of his "reforms."
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:02:37 PM »

That is completely wrong (evidence: how much Todd Akin lost by, and the fact Ann Richards won against basically the same character).
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:58 PM »

That is completely wrong (evidence: how much Todd Akin lost by, and the fact Ann Richards won against basically the same character).
Ann Richards last won 24 years ago. Things have changed greatly in the South since then.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »

Ann Richards last won 24 years ago. Things have changed greatly in the South since then.

That still doesn't dispute the fact that Todd Akin by a very substantial margin in a state that is getting redder.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies