People who voted for two-term presidents the first time but not the second
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:40:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  People who voted for two-term presidents the first time but not the second
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: People who voted for two-term presidents the first time but not the second  (Read 2536 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »

Who might these people be?

Obama '08 / Romney '12
Bush '00 / Kerry '04
Clinton '92 / Dole (or Perot) '96
Reagan '80 / Mondale '84
Nixon '68 / McGovern '72
Eisenhower '52 / Stevenson '56
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:34:07 PM »

Eisenhower/ Stevenson
In the Midwest/West, probably a farmer
Nixon/McGovern
Probably a hippie who was before dissatisfied with Humphrey
Reagan/Mondale
Most likely in in the Rust belt, specifically Pennsylvania. Also in New York due to the VP candidate.
Clinton/Dole
Someone in Kansas, North Carolina, or the West.
Bush/Kerry
In the Northeast, didn't like the Iraq War plus maybe liked Kerry.
Obama/Romney
Coal miner, farmer.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »

Haha, I would have been a McCain Obama voter.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:48:42 PM »

My father is a moderate Republican who voted Ford-Reagan-Reagan-Bush-Perot-Clinton-Bush-Kerry-Obama-Romney over his life.

In 2000 he liked Bush for economic policies and his non-interventionist stance(yes, that's what Bush campaigned on, I kid you not), but hated the neocon turn and voted against him in 2004(not really for Kerry).

He liked Obama in 2008, but felt Romney would be better in 2012 on the economy, guns, and energy.

If I could've voted, I too would have been an Obama-Romney voter, but for different reasons.

My parents were Bush/Kerry voters. Dad usually votes Democratic but voted for Bush in '00 because he thought he had done well as governor. Mom liked that he seemed like a moderate Republican and was still really put off by the Lewinsky affair. They both were disappointed with the Iraq War and all the social conservatism and haven't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since then.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »

Me. Except I didn't switch to either Dole or Perot.

excelsus
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2014, 11:50:03 AM by excelsus »

Obama '08 / Romney '12

Mostly conservative Clinton Democrats (mainly in the South) who voted reluctantly for Obama in 2008 and who were bitterly disappointed by him.

Bush '00 / Kerry '04

People who didn't approve of the Iraq war and the limitation of civil liberties after 9/11.

Clinton '92 / Dole (or Perot) '96

I think most ex-supporters of Clinton defected to a more liberal candidate. I think there was hardly any former Clintonite who voted for Dole or Perot in 1996. There was simply no reason for such a step.

Reagan '80 / Mondale '84

Home state effect + female vote due to Geraldine Ferraro

Nixon '68 / McGovern '72

Solely home state effect. The only state that swung towards the Democrats was McGovern's home state of South Dakota.

Eisenhower '52 / Stevenson '56

Missouri's and Louisiana's changeovers (to the opposite) directions are one of the biggest unsolved mysteries in electoral history ever. Maybe it's got to do with Joe McCarthy.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »

My family was mostly McCain/Obama supporters in '08/'12. 

The irony is, many in my family were also Reagan/Mondale supporters in '80/'84, respectively.
hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »

I did vote for Obama the first time in 2008. I didn't vote for the second time because of the ACA and partly because of the Stimulus because it wasn't paid for. I just feel like now he has/had all the talents top be a great president but there is just something missing with him before his explanation of the IRS scandal on Sunday. His explanation that there is not a smidgen of corruption in the IRS scandal is alarming that the guy is out of sync. I just thought he was a little aloof before.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:00:08 PM »

I can name states, which probably would give us an idea of those kind of people.

Eisenhower: Missouri
Clinton: Colorado, Georgia, Montana
Bush: New Hampshire (probably had a lot to do with Kerry being from Massachusetts)
Obama: Indiana, North Carolina
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »

Bush: New Hampshire (probably had a lot to do with Kerry being from Massachusetts)

no
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »

People making more than $150,000/year.  Economic conservatives in general.

The more 'intellectual' wing of Republican-leaning voters, i.e. Northerners and/or urban dwellers who may have disliked Bush's attitudes towards science and war.  Also, gays and lesbians.  Kerry made a concerted effort to win New Hampshire and I don't think the fact that he was from Massachusetts made a great difference.

Probably not many of these, but fiscally liberal voters in the Southeast who were unimpressed by the more 'unchristian' elements of the Clinton/Gore administration.  There's also always a handful of people who will vote for the other party after three successive wins and then return to their regular voting patterns after a change of power.

Pretty hard to come up with anything for this.  Mondale made gains in the African-American and Native-American communities but that was due to more people voting rather than crossing over from the GOP.

Presumably a great number of people voted for Nixon in 1968 expecting a swift conclusion to the Vietnam War, so at least some would have crossed over on that issue alone - obviously a fairly negligible amount.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies