Coca-Cola makes cute ad, racist far-right idiots lose their [inks]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 12:08:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Coca-Cola makes cute ad, racist far-right idiots lose their [inks]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: Which of these racist tweets is your favorite?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Coca-Cola makes cute ad, racist far-right idiots lose their [inks]  (Read 7931 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »

The smug, authoritarian tone of 1950s advertising just does not work anymore.

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2014, 04:43:36 PM »

Oh and Afleitch, well, meh, maybe your right. Although, given that I live and breath I guarantee you that I have at least some life experience.

You're doing either one of two things; parroting those around you or rebelling against them by clutching at some outdated and inapplicable (to 2014) conservatism. Trust me, I went to a private Catholic school in Glasgow (there's one so take a stab) so I know exactly what it's like. I can't take you seriously because you're still in a bubble. It's taken me a decade to break out of that sort of association. So it means I can't take you seriously. I can't take you seriously when you idealise a Thatcherite past because you weren't alive (and I was only just) I can't take you seriously when you oppose gay marriage (is opposition really an English Catholic thing? Most Scottish Catholics are in favour) because I don't think by the time you're 30 and have a gay friend who is the same age that for a second you'd say he shouldn't get married to the person that makes him live and breathe, particularly given that it is now the law of the land. Nor do I think you have any weight when you criticise swathes of the public, particularly in America (and we can all be guilty of that) because you've never met them and probably never will. You're not the only one to join here with those sorts of opinions. Most people grow out of them, often while still remaining conservative in a sense and make more reasonable sparring partners Smiley

Well, you're a very honest and straight-forward sort of person, and I do see where your coming from, however, I would like to say a few things. Yes, it is true that I do find, in the past, a lot of things to admire. It is also true that I wasn't alive then and can be a little over-zealous in expressing my viewpoints on such matters. I mean, I have a very conservative, almost nostalgic mindset, and I don't deny it. I'm not really too keen on the new (I hate kindles, ipads and all this technological flummery Wink), and see in the old, perhaps, simpler and easier ways and methods of doing things. Not to say I won't change in the future, as I am only 18 after all, and I may well end up reconciling myself with gay marriage and a whole legion of other things that I currently oppose. But, for the moment at least, I am content and happy with who I am. I will also say that, my 'vision' if you could call it that, of conservatism is on two levels. Firstly, there's my 'philosophical' (not wanting to sound snobby or full of myself, but I couldn't think of a better term for it :b) vision of conservatism, which, yes, is pretty outdated and unachievable, and I accept that. However, I do retain a sense of what is politically feasible, and thus have settled upon a realistic 'vision' of my own conservatism, which is generally speaking lower tax, with a reasonable welfare state and a dose of foreign policy interventionism and social conservatism. I do not believe that the latter, unlike the former, is inherently 'unreasonable' or unachieveable, and so I content myself with it. Basically, I'm just muddling my way through life as best as I can and I am aware that I still have a lot to experience in that life. But, do not judge me too harshly Afleitch, for, and you may find this hard to believe, I try as best as I can to be a good, moral person, with a temperate character and sense of humour.

So yeah, you should probably just ignore me for the time being Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »

Ok, I admit that I was wrong in saying what I said. It was very ill-phrased. But, I do not see what the Republican Party can do to reach out to blacks and hispanics, as that will, at the very least, mean the abandonment of much of the party's ideology (and such attempts will probably be futile anyway, since, to put it very crudely, the Republican's can always be 'outbid' by the Democrats when it comes to implementing policies that these groups generally want to see), and thus the abandonment of the core of the GOP's support.

How does reaching out to blacks and Hispanics hinge on abandoning anything in the party's ideology?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »

Ok, I admit that I was wrong in saying what I said. It was very ill-phrased. But, I do not see what the Republican Party can do to reach out to blacks and hispanics, as that will, at the very least, mean the abandonment of much of the party's ideology (and such attempts will probably be futile anyway, since, to put it very crudely, the Republican's can always be 'outbid' by the Democrats when it comes to implementing policies that these groups generally want to see), and thus the abandonment of the core of the GOP's support.

How does reaching out to blacks and Hispanics hinge on abandoning anything in the party's ideology?

Don't you understand? Blacks and Hispanics are lazy, don't want to work, want all free and want to destroy the Real (white) America, which is only protected by Republicans.

I don't why you bother losing your time trying to understand what kind of person, Inks.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »

Well, I say that because, as has been pointed out in other threads, blacks and Hispanics have very serious objections to large proportions of the GOP's ideology, particularly when it comes to economic matters.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »

I'm wondering what advantage people like to see in a country that would have multiple languages spoken and accepted in it.

Diversity is good?

I see no inherent value in having two of the same or two of different types, unless we're talking about some sort of system where working parts with different functions are needed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »

Well, I say that because, as has been pointed out in other threads, blacks and Hispanics have very serious objections to large proportions of the GOP's ideology, particularly when it comes to economic matters.

There's a difference between reaching out to them and changing the platform to appease certain people.  The GOP can reach out to minorities by no longer electing the bigots and morons who disparage minorities, and that'd go a long way, even if it didn't mean we won a majority of minority votes.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »

I do not see what the Republican Party can do to reach out to blacks and hispanics, as that will, at the very least, mean the abandonment of much of the party's ideology (and such attempts will probably be futile anyway, since, to put it very crudely, the Republican's can always be 'outbid' by the Democrats when it comes to implementing policies that these groups generally want to see), and thus the abandonment of the core of the GOP's support.

Wait what.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »

The smug, authoritarian tone of 1950s advertising just does not work anymore. 

Plus if they remade that ad today, not all the kids would be WASPs.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2014, 08:11:24 PM by ag »

I'm wondering what advantage people like to see in a country that would have multiple languages spoken and accepted in it.

Diversity is good?

I see no inherent value in having two of the same or two of different types, unless we're talking about some sort of system where working parts with different functions are needed.

This was, in fact, the thinking at the Gosplan. And that is why in a Soviet store you would have one kind of salami, one kind of shoes and one kind of underpants (more or less).  Having 30 different kinds of toilet paper in one store is simply a sexual perversion. And, BTW, in the Soviet Union they only had Pepsi - no Coke (I am not making this one up, BTW, it IS true Smiley ). For, indeed, why do we need two fizzy drinks that are, basically, identical? Indeed, allowing both Coke and Pepsi might cause a societal division and fights - imagine, if you are a Pepsi man, and they invited you to a party where there is only Coke?

If only everybody could share your wonderful worldview! Then, we could raise our one approved drink, for one people, one country, one cheese!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »

In any case, one should always remember, that the country with the largest per capita consumption of Coke is not the US, but Mexico. It is OUR national drink, not yours.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »

Higher income Blacks, and to a lesser degree Hispanics, but to a greater degree Jews and other non-Christians, vote disproportionately Democratic. There's more than just economics at work with my party's inability to garner votes among these groups. Sad
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »

Diversity is good?
Ah, yes, "diversity," the magic word. I'd encourage you to look at Sweden to see how "diversity" lives up. As prosperous as it is in many fields, it has the highest rape rate in Europe, and more than half of those incidents are committed by Muslim immigrants.

Lord Almighty this is a low point.

Thanks to Swedish Cheese for setting the record straight from Realityville.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »

Higher income Blacks, and to a lesser degree Hispanics, but to a greater degree Jews and other non-Christians, vote disproportionately Democratic. There's more than just economics at work with my party's inability to garner votes among these groups. Sad

I believe those groups are still more likely to have views on economic issues more in line with the Democrats compared to others of the same economic status.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »

Martin Van Buren would be rolling in his grave.

What happened?,

Great post by Ghost white btw.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2014, 06:37:13 PM by Nutmeg »

If the USA ever get's a Latino plurality, it'll be far better for it.
No. I mean look at the countries with existing Latino pluralities. Mexico, Columbia, etc. Are they happy countries? A clue: no.

Simply incorrect. Colombia was the happiest country in the world in 2012 ("The survey found that Colombians are almost twice as happy as the global average").

Your suggestion that Latinos are unhappy people is just a weird line of attack. ("Brazil and Peru were also among the Latin American countries listed within the top 10 of the world’s happiest, taking the third and eighth positions.")
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies