Coca-Cola makes cute ad, racist far-right idiots lose their [inks]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:49:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Coca-Cola makes cute ad, racist far-right idiots lose their [inks]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Poll
Question: Which of these racist tweets is your favorite?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Coca-Cola makes cute ad, racist far-right idiots lose their [inks]  (Read 7725 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2014, 05:04:40 PM »

I feel like we should remind all of these idiots who are threatening to switch over to Pepsi that Pepsi supports marriage equality.

Dr. Pepper? vomits
This is an outrage! Doctor Pepper has the initials DP-same as Doctor Paul. Therefore, automatic Freedom Drink!
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2014, 11:25:09 PM by True Federalist »

I feel like we should remind all of these idiots who are threatening to switch over to Pepsi that Pepsi supports marriage equality.

Dr. Pepper? vomits

Yeah so next time you're chugging that Dr. Pepper, just remember that the company that produces that drink supports the idea of allowing gays to have the same legal rights as straights! Surprise
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »

I'm sorry Sanchez, but we all know that that infamous drink is Lucifer's own brew!1!1 Look upon the works of Coke and bow down before it's majesty, puny sinner Wink
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2014, 05:56:41 PM by Snowstalker »

Yeah, this is sadly a fact. Some of it stems from the nature of Islam in regards to treatment of women, but I'd suspect that much like higher crime rates among minorities and poor whites, much of it stems from poverty, unemployment, underemployment, etc.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »

What a tragic little thread.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »

I'm wondering what advantage people like to see in a country that would have multiple languages spoken and accepted in it.

Or what kind of people experience revulsion just because a song in a soda commercial was sung in different languages.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »

Your citation is a basicly openly racist blog...
You know if that's citation we're going with I have several far-left blogs that will paint a whole different story.

The report that blogger is refering to (which you can find here) from the government agency, gives a somewhat more nuanced story.

For example turn to page 38

You must be logged in to read this quote.

According to it, you're right that immigrants are more likely to have committed a crime, but
men as a group is more likely to have committed crimes than immigrants as a group. Hmm interesting.

So using your logic the problem isn't really diversity, unless you you mean the diversity of sexes.
Now men, with-out us there'd be a whole lot less rapes.. That even I can concur with.

Let's look at page 33 of this rapport:

Percentage of people who have never been sentenced for a crime:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

95% of People born in Sweden to Swedish Parents       95%
93% of People born in Sweden with one Swedish and one foreign parent
90% of people born in Sweden to Immigrated Parents
88% of people who immigrated to Sweden

Wow! Only 88% of all Swedish immigrants are completely innocent. This puts a whole new light at diversity for me.

You know the next time you want to throw a Swedish government rapport at me, you really should read the whole thing and not just the bits some racist on the Internet has cherry-picked, because I eat walls of this stuff for breakfast. (Don't mess with a Law student)

Now beat it!     
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

I'm wondering what advantage people like to see in a country that would have multiple languages spoken and accepted in it.
oh idk maybe because language is the central vehicle of cultural expression that allows communities to maintain historical tradition and some people would like to see these communities maintained rather than destroyed by xenophobic and oppressive language laws. this is a very American opinion of mine.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »

I don't understand why everyone is assuming that the ad was pushing multilingualism. What it was promoting is diversity, which should be obvious to anyone with a brain.

And can someone explain to me why conservatives are so paranoid about English not being the official language? Obviously these people don't live in the real America because even in diverse places you are going to need a lingua franca, and that is going to be English. Even in a place like Los Angeles County, where white people are a minority, the majority of people don't know Spanish. There may be certain communities where just Spanish, or Mandarin is spoken, but the community at large is still going to need English to communicate. The only place in America where that would be different would be Puerto Rico, if it were to ever become a state. And it probably won't for this very reason.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »

If the USA ever get's a Latino plurality, it'll be far better for it.

No. I mean look at the countries with existing Latino pluralities. Mexico, Columbia, etc. Are they happy countries? A clue: no. Seriously, what is this desire for ethnic change... Can't we just go back to the good old days when the population was 85 percent white and the country gave Ronald Reagan 59 percent of the vote. Such days... looks dramatically off into the middle distance
Can we please ban Cassius? This coddled twerp is just a reminder that there are people with horrifying opinions.
If we are going to be banning racists, you probably will end up on the chopping block in a matter of weeks.

oh idk maybe because language is the central vehicle of cultural expression that allows communities to maintain historical tradition and some people would like to see these communities maintained rather than destroyed by xenophobic and oppressive language laws. this is a very American opinion of mine.
This is of course true to a degree, and is one of the reasons why the ethnic enclaves of the United States are so culturally valued. But there is a difference between ethnic enclaves and showcasing America as a bilingual nation. Our national motto has a meaning that should be taken a bit more literally.

And can someone explain to me why conservatives are so paranoid about English not being the official language? Obviously these people don't live in the real America because even in diverse places you are going to need a lingua franca, and that is going to be English. Even in a place like Los Angeles County, where white people are a minority, the majority of people don't know Spanish. There may be certain communities where just Spanish, or Mandarin is spoken, but the community at large is still going to need English to communicate. The only place in America where that would be different would be Puerto Rico, if it were to ever become a state. And it probably won't for this very reason.
I agree with this one hundred percent.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »

How am I a racist Sanchez? I don't want to derail this thread but this bizarre opinion of yours needs to be explained.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »

I don't understand why everyone is assuming that the ad was pushing multilingualism. What it was promoting is diversity, which should be obvious to anyone with a brain.

I've actually always wondered about that. Los Angeles County is almost majority Hispanic, many of them recent or first generation immigrants, so I always assumed that knowing at least a little bit of Spanish was necessary to live in LA. I've also heard from others about how prevalent Spanish is there, at least compared to the south. But you're saying English is still clearly dominant?

Anyway, I'm going there in March so I guess I'll see for myself.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2014, 08:17:11 PM »

The first one is the most hilarious/sad cause it tries to tie Obama to it. 
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »

No. I mean look at the countries with existing Latino pluralities. Mexico, Columbia, etc. Are they happy countries? A clue: no. Seriously, what is this desire for ethnic change... Can't we just go back to the good old days when the population was 85 percent white and the country gave Ronald Reagan 59 percent of the vote. Such days... looks dramatically off into the middle distance
Can we please ban Cassius? This coddled twerp is just a reminder that there are people with horrifying opinions.
If we are going to be banning racists, you probably will end up on the chopping block in a matter of weeks.

This is of course true to a degree, and is one of the reasons why the ethnic enclaves of the United States are so culturally valued. But there is a difference between ethnic enclaves and showcasing America as a bilingual nation. Our national motto has a meaning that should be taken a bit more literally.

Sanchez, your last point in this post is good, but I'm curious as to why you're going down the lines of argument articulated in your first two points, based on what you've admitted in the past. Especially the point I bolded.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »

3 made me lol, so I voted for that, even though it's not the "best." 6 is kinda clever, actually. 5 and 7 are especially sad because someone out there thinks a soft drink will burn and someone else is completely misunderstanding history, respectively.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2014, 08:36:50 PM »

Sanchez, your last point in this post is good, but I'm curious as to why you're going down the lines of argument articulated in your first two points, based on what you've admitted in the past. Especially the point I bolded.
I don't hate other people for speaking other languages, and furthermore, I never felt during my white nationalist days that the opinions of non white people on white nationalism were somehow lesser, mainly because I felt a majority of people in other races held the same ethno-nationalist views I did. My “accusations” against DeadFlagBlues is his frequent use of deriding opponents on various issues because they are of a different race and thus do not understand his point of view. That may be true, but it still doesn’t make his Hispanic perspective anymore insightful or interesting than my white opinion.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:41 PM »

I've actually always wondered about that. Los Angeles County is almost majority Hispanic, many of them recent or first generation immigrants, so I always assumed that knowing at least a little bit of Spanish was necessary to live in LA. I've also heard from others about how prevalent Spanish is there, at least compared to the south. But you're saying English is still clearly dominant?

Anyway, I'm going there in March so I guess I'll see for myself.

Oh hell yeah it's dominant. If an Asian dude wants to talk to a Mexican dude, what language is he going to speak? What if an Armenian dude wants to talk to a Malawian dude? English it is. What if a Sri Lankan dude wants to talk to a Vietnamese chick? Yep, that's right, English. What if a 2nd generation Mexican wants to speak to an immigrant Mexican? Indeed, English yet again....
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »

The number of people I put on ignore has exploded in the 5 minutes since I began reading this thread.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »

Necessary? You must be joking. Could be a bit useful - sure, no doubt. But necessary? Ok, I guess, you, probably, could find a McDonalds where they would need to call up the manager to take your order. And, of course, understanding what your gardener is telling your cleaning lady could be not uninteresting (especially, if they are talking about you). And Mexican food you´d get might be slightly better, if you order it in Spanish Smiley But that does not a necessity make. LA is perfectly Anglophone for most of your needs, though.

I have found Spanish useful in the US on occasion. In places like Dallas I have discovered that the clearest instructions on how to get from point A to point B (especially, if you are not driving) you get if you address your inquiry to somebody who does not speak English. I would like to think that this is because they are the only people not to drive in Dallas, though, frankly, I did get an impression that many of the Anglos who choose to live in a place like that are simply not too smart Smiley I guess, the negative selection is not working on those lacking capacity to speak English - they are disadvantaged enough without necessarily being dumb.

And, of course, if you start talking to a car service driver in Washington Heights in NYC in Spanish, rather than English, you might get a little discount or another courtesy Smiley

But, in any case, you do not really need that much Spanish even in places like El Paso - unless you cross the border, of course. Suspecting something of the sort about LA is almost hilarious.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2014, 10:45:15 PM »

Anyone who complains about the looming specter of a ethnically fractured America at this point is just incredibly ignorant of history or a white supremacist. Just as the "traditional" America of the white middle class nuclear family is a construct of the post-war era, so is the idea of English-speaking America. The 19th century Midwest was a land of people who only spoke English as the civic tongue and went about using their own language otherwise. They were still obviously American though. So really the current state of affairs is a return to the status quo rather than a shocking change. Here is a hint: Mexican, Chinese, Ethiopian, Arab, Indian and Russian immigrants are all proud.to be American but not because of football, cheeseburgers and the beauty of standarized English. It is because the American identity is about civic duty rather than shared cultural rituals. America wouldn't exist if we had a strict ethnic regime proposed by the Nasos: white Americans share little in common as well. As a end note I will discontinue my identity as a Mexican on this forum to placate the sensitive.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2014, 10:56:55 PM »

As a end note I will discontinue my identity as a Mexican on this forum to placate the sensitive.

Please don't- they don't deserve to be placated.  Excellent post of course- America has always been multilingual and multicultural and that is one of its greatest strengths.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2014, 11:15:04 PM »

..which would be a lot easier if it were in English Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2014, 11:31:47 PM »

..which would be a lot easier if it were in English Tongue
In God We Trust is in English. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2014, 11:36:12 PM »

Let me guess, it's too ing inconvenient for you. Let's force everybody that crosses the border to abandon their cultures and languages completely so life is easier for us hard working Americans who SPEAK THE LORD'S ENGLISH GOD DAMMIT! Who gives a flying  if it violates the first amendment? THE FIRST AMENDMENT ONLY PROTECTS AMERICAN VALUES MOTHERER.

English doesn't have some inherent value, it has a circumstancial value. If I want to move somewhere that doesn't speak English, I think it'd be a good idea to learn whatever language they speak. I imagine that learning English would somehow be coupled with gaining citizenship (I'm unfamiliar with the process for obvious reasons), yet somehow we still have this... dilemma if you will.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2014, 12:38:58 AM »

For the record considering that the vast majority of comments on Twitter now are people laughing at and making fun of the idiots who did the initial outrage, I'm sure this was Coke's plan all along. Get a few dumbasses to create controversy and give them more free airtime and publicity to look good in the backlash. Like just read the comments here (and consider that YouTube comments are usually considered the dumbest things on the internet): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=443Vy3I0gJs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies