FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:28:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 66
Author Topic: FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 114338 times)
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: June 21, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »

Such an unfair result for Bosnia. Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #551 on: June 21, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »

Oh good Snowstalker is predicting USA to lose the next two games. I was worried we didn't have a chance.

You're not a fan. Stop saying "we."

I'm not the one changing his nationality ever 4 years.

Roll Eyes

Changing my nationality? Listen, I don't mind if you're generally an idiot about this sport but I do have an issue when you screw up the facts.

1) I don't "change" nationalities. I support a team.
2) I consistently support a team. Want to have an issue with me supporting the "wrong" team? Ok. But don't essentially call me a bandwagon fan. I support and follow my team. As you know, I support that team in tournaments outside of the World Cup, too. Even if we buy your BS, it would be every two years when you consider the Euros.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #552 on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »

And it's awfully ironic that King wants to complain about people switching nationalities for this. Don't hear much from you about Spain these days...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #553 on: June 21, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »

I can see why you support Italy, but why do you actively root against the US? I dont see why you wouldnt support the development of the game in this country.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #554 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »

I can see why you support Italy, but why do you actively root against the US? I dont see why you wouldnt support the development of the game in this country.

Where did I actively root against the U.S.? I'm telling you what I think will happen. And quite frankly, the insufferable bros that aren't true fans are a great reason why people would actively root against the team.

The game will never develop to the level that I enjoy so I have no desire to hope for that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #555 on: June 21, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »

Even if we buy your BS, it would be every two years when you consider the Euros.

The idea that there's more than one dick in this thread is a more egregious use of the word we than what I said.

It wouldn't make sense for me to call you a nationality traitor in the Euros obviously when the US doesn't even compete. All I am saying is U.S. first because you are an American.

And don't act like you're not a bandwagonner. Can you really say with a straight face that you just happened to become a superfan of a nation you're loosely connected to (one that won the WC in your formative teen years) over your own nation for reasons other than supporting a winner? Please.

And it's awfully ironic that King wants to complain about people switching nationalities for this. Don't hear much from you about Spain these days...

I'm not a fan of Spain and never claimed to be one, but I supported Spain over Italy just like I supported the Seahawks over the Broncos.  If I don't support anyone, why even watch?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #556 on: June 21, 2014, 09:31:46 PM »

Even if we buy your BS, it would be every two years when you consider the Euros.

The idea that there's more than one dick in this thread is a more egregious use of the word we than what I said.

Snowstalker and Simfan (both Americans) are notably against the U.S. team. At least one went as far as to say "Death to America" which I'd never say in any context, for the record.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh, are you serious? You don't even know me, dude. Maybe it goes something like this: this is the team I grew up supporting through my family. My father, an American-born veteran of the United States Air Force, is mainly responsible for that. I didn't think I'd have to highlight the other fairly obvious points but here they are: I unquestionably follow an Italian league team and the league in general despite both not exactly superpowers they once were and started following them after their respective glory days. It enhances my connection to the Italian team. I follow every qualifier. I follow every Friendly. I know the players.

Did winning the World Cup in 2006 while I was in Italy strengthen my love for the team? Sure. But I was a fan well before that. I was there through the heartbreak. I was there when Italy lost the Euro 2000 Final. I was up at 5 AM to watch Italy get knocked out by South Korea in the 2002 World Cup. I didn't pop up after Canavarro lifted the trophy. You need to learn what a bandwagonner is, pal.

Of course, I can be a fraud like you, not follow the MLS and cheer for a group of players I know nothing about and don't care about. Can you say with a straight face that you'll give a rat's ass about any of this a year from now? How about two months from now? Nah. Doubt it.

Quite frankly, I'm not going to waste my time arguing with some jackass that suddenly likes the sport every four years. Hilarious that you'd blast anyone as a bandwagonner. I'll argue with someone like Lief, a true fan of the game and a diehard U.S. fan, about my allegiances. I'll strongly disagree with his assessment but I at least respect him. And I doubt he'd ever even think to suggest that I'm a bandwagon fan.

So you're even more of a casual fan (and a troll) than you've led on. And you're going to lecture about bandwagonning. Hahaha.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #557 on: June 21, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »

Anyway.

Second half of Germany v Ghana was a great watch, even at 5am.

How do people feel about the idea (largely political) of extending the World Cup to 40 teams from 2022 onwards?

I was having a think about how you'd do it, and thought maybe something inspired by the process in the 80s could work. With 42 teams, the host and the reigning champion (or, if two hosts, just them) automatically qualify for the final 32. The other 40 play in matches in which the winners also qualify (so we're a 22), and the twenty losers then play another match, with the winners qualifying.

Then the final 32 proceeds as it is now.

So, something like:

Host
Champion/Second host
CONCACAF 5
CONMEBOL 5
CAF 8
AFC 7
OFC 1
UEFA 14

Or, if you want half games, 4.5/4.5/8.5/7.5/1.5/13.5.

I'd draw the first 20 matches randomly but with a proviso that no continent sees two of it's entries play against each other, then the ten games for losers either through the same process, or by (despite it's absolute hideousness as a ranking system) world rankings, highest v lowest, 2nd highest v 2nd lowest, etc.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #558 on: June 21, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »

If you're an American, I can understand rooting for a team besides the US, in addition to rooting for the US.  I can forgive rooting for a team with a better history and tradition, who is more fun to watch as a soccer aficionado, if you see the team as more a soccer club than a representative of America.  I can forgive a first or second generation Chicano rooting for Mexico or an Italian American rooting for Italy.

But, an American rooting against America, that's wrong.  I think Merle Haggard said it best, "if you don't love it, leave it."  Do you guys also root against your high school football team and your sister's softball team?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #559 on: June 21, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »

If you're an American, I can understand rooting for a team besides the US, in addition to rooting for the US.  I can forgive rooting for a team with a better history and tradition, who is more fun to watch as a soccer aficionado, if you see the team as more a soccer club than a representative of America.  I can forgive a first or second generation Chicano rooting for Mexico or an Italian American rooting for Italy.

But, an American rooting against America, that's wrong.  I think Merle Haggard said it best, "if you don't love it, leave it."  Do you guys also root against your high school football team and your sister's softball team?

lel
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #560 on: June 22, 2014, 12:58:51 AM »

Well I'm rooting Ghana... because I'm Ghanaian. And I'm rooting against the US because Ghana cannot advance if the US does well. So that's that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #561 on: June 22, 2014, 01:11:41 AM »

Seriously, Phil, you're not just a dick because you're a hater of USA, you're a dick because you're being a dick. Your skin is thinner than filo dough. Your sportsmanship is godawful.

You really underestimate how much I follow USA because I don't post much about sports here. Yeah, I don't watch MLS because it really has no credibility internationally and I have other things to do with my life, but I do watch the national team in CONCACAF and friendlies. But even so, it shouldn't matter. I don't try to discredit people in my two favorite leagues, NFL and NBA, because they don't watch college football and basketball.

Sorry if I offended you by questioning your allegiance to Italy but you instigate this sh&t with your rude attitude. You reap what you sow.

Well I'm rooting Ghana... because I'm Ghanaian. And I'm rooting against the US because Ghana cannot advance if the US does well. So that's that.

A US upset over Germany puts Ghana in, oh ye of little faith Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #562 on: June 22, 2014, 01:13:59 AM »

Uh-huh.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #563 on: June 22, 2014, 02:52:03 AM »

At any rate, go USA! Then we almost certainly get in even on a loss.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #564 on: June 22, 2014, 04:38:02 AM »

The US won't take a point against Germany when Germany still need a result in the third match. Sorry, but that's right out. And I wouldn't fancy the chance of Portugal drawing both their remaining matches, either. So, bottomline: the US beats Portugal today and are through. Or they don't and are *probably* out (though could still squeak it of course).
Of course, Portugal're just the kind of team to fight their way back into the tournament by trashing you, then lose it all again in the third match. -_-
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #565 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »

Seriously, Phil, you're not just a dick because you're a hater of USA, you're a dick because you're being a dick. Your skin is thinner than filo dough. Your sportsmanship is godawful.

I'm the one with thin skin but you're the one throwing a hissy fit about my non-support for "your team?" Hahaha. I'm probably just a dick because I'm calling you out as a fraud, as we'll see in your next admission... Wink

Oh, my apologies! I'll patiently wait for yours after the idiotic comments that I'm just a bandwagon Italy fan. I notice how you just glossed over that.

I do Purple heart how you admit that you don't even follow MLS because you have better things to do with your life! Bravo! Smiley

I've been mild with my comments. Again, other American non-fans have said far worse. I think this is more about you generally disliking me which is fine but don't use that as an excuse to go after me about this stuff. It's trolling.

Don't lecture on awful sportsmanship when you barely comment on the game but will be the first to privately message someone when their team loses. I'd give it a pass if you actually showed more of an interest but you don't. You're the worst kind of casual fan. Then, in especially bizarre fashion, you'll complain about my supposed thick skin when all of this started because you didn't like my assessment of your status as a fan. But you're especially irritated over the fact that I don't conform by supporting "your team" and by pointing out their weakness. That's not just thin skinned, it's childish.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #566 on: June 22, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »

According to 538, with the Germany/Ghana draw, the US increased its chances of winning the group from 11% to 20%, but reduced its chances of advancing from 69% to 64%.

I really want to see a US win today, which guarantees advancement. I think we're quite likely to lose to Germany, so I'd rather the US secure its own position by winning today. A Portugal win seems to look nearly fatal for Team USA.

If the US advances, how good are the Group H teams? Who does the US want to play in that group and who would be the biggest trouble?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #567 on: June 22, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »

Is the USA a good soccer team???
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #568 on: June 22, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »

Not really. But, you know, not terrible either. Underestimate at your own peril.

If the US advances, how good are the Group H teams? Who does the US want to play in that group and who would be the biggest trouble?
Group H is, by pretty much any metric, the weakest group in this tournament. Belgium will probably win the group and are clearly stronger than you, however.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #569 on: June 22, 2014, 08:52:27 AM »

No, nobody else in this thread has consistently berated individuals like you have. My only crime is that I took your bait. The idea that you shouldn't be allowed to support Italy was just a return serve of an insinuation that I'm not allowed to even be here.

The idea that I dislike you at all is again a product of your own thin skin and the fact that you still resent a private message I sent you years ago that, IIRC, was simply "espana Wink" really shows how ridiculous you can be sometimes.

You don't seem to understand the line between a good-natured ribbing and being a huge pretentious dick. That's really your loss.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #570 on: June 22, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »

Wait, I thought you were an Ethiopian nobleman or something?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #571 on: June 22, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »

No, nobody else in this thread has consistently berated individuals like you have. My only crime is that I took your bait. The idea that you shouldn't be allowed to support Italy was just a return serve of an insinuation that I'm not allowed to even be here.

Yikes! Someone has some very thin skin! Wink

It speaks to my point that you're more interested in trolling than actually following the sport. Don't really care if you like me or not. Smiley

I'm a Soccer snob. I've always embraced it. Get over it. See you when you "care" about the sport again in 2018 (or maybe 2016 when the U.S. hosts Copa America. You know what that is, right?). Cheesy

(Your loss that you can't detect good natured ribbing either.)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #572 on: June 22, 2014, 09:13:10 AM »

Of course, Portugal're just the kind of team to fight their way back into the tournament by trashing you, then lose it all again in the third match. -_-

Yes. Yes. God willing. Let us pray.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #573 on: June 22, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »

Well at least I got you smiling, Phil.

Wait, I thought you were an Ethiopian nobleman or something?

If his seed can't make it pan-Africa then he wouldn't be a nobleman, now he would he?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #574 on: June 22, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »

He's half Ethiopian half Ghanaian (well, all I'd have remembered before this thread was half Ethiopian half something West African, but that's because Ethiopia is what I've had discussion with him about.) And no, he's not an Amhara. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies