FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:55:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 66
Author Topic: FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 114304 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: July 12, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »

Really depends how Germany plays tomorrow ...

If they have a bad day like against Algeria, they are done.

If they play like Brazil, the will win.

And if they play "normal" it could be a rather boring game (OT or penalties).
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1451 on: July 12, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »

Anyways, Germany are favorites in this but Argentina is going to be a very tough nut to crack.

I think this is right.

Many are exaggerating the odds based on a game where Brazil didn't play defense and a game where the Netherlands didn't play offense.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1452 on: July 12, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »

The referees continue to prop up Brazil even now. Thiago Silva should have been sent of for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, but I guess a repeat of last match is not wanted now.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #1453 on: July 12, 2014, 03:42:56 PM »

The referees continue to prop up Brazil even now. Thiago Silva should have been sent of for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity, but I guess a repeat of last match is not wanted now.
And Robben who threw himself?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1454 on: July 12, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »

Are we talking of the same incident? Because in this one he was clearly held up by Silva.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1455 on: July 12, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »

lolbrazil
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1456 on: July 12, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »

Brazil are spectacularly awful.

Are we talking of the same incident? Because in this one he was clearly held up by Silva.

Yeah, definite red card, maybe not a penalty.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1457 on: July 12, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »

I don't even care that I get no points from this. This is golden.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1458 on: July 12, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »

Brazilians were unhappy enough before this game.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1459 on: July 12, 2014, 05:23:13 PM »

Really pathetic from the Brazilian players.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1460 on: July 12, 2014, 05:36:02 PM »

Current prediction with pretty colors, and based on my view that Belgium/Uruguay/Colombia are overhyped. On the verge of swapping Portugal for USA. Also lol @ the Dutch getting to the finals.

Also, Costa Rica will be my ironic team due entirely to having the worst possible group.

Lol
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1461 on: July 12, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »

still better than phil's prediction
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1462 on: July 12, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »

Not sure if this stat has been thrown out there: Germany have made the Final of a major tournament every six years since 1990.

'90 - win
'96 - win
'02 - loss
'08 - loss
'14 - ?
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1463 on: July 13, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2014, 12:33:02 AM by Edu »

Wow, I didn't think FIFA would be so blatant. Congratulations Argentina.

LOL

Anyways, Germany are favorites in this but Argentina is going to be a very tough nut to crack. Tougher than France and our strongest opponent so far. (Note that in the early games, Germany weren't playing at their best with Khedira and Schweinsteiger both still very much recuperating.) And should they win, they will deserve the title.

I enjoyed playing in the contest very much, despite my absolute failure, you did a great work and I hope you will stay even if the WC is over Smiley

Argentines tend to be a relatively unfriendly people (sorry Edu)

No need to be sorry since I basically think the same thing. I just hope I didn't came up as unfriendly when we met Tongue
Anyway, I'm glad you are rooting for us Grin

Remember when I said I didn’t care about how we end up in the World Cup? Well, I don’t think a lot of people know me here so You probably don’t, but the fact is that I think I said several times that we were going to lose and that there wasn’t much of a point in following the team since they sucked and the government was going to use them as propaganda..

Well, I guess I was wrong. We beat Netherlands in what to most outsiders was a boring dreadful match, but to me as someone who was rooting for one of the teams involved it was a terribly exciting match. Maybe it’s the fact that this is the first time we reach the SF (and then the final) since I can remember or the fact that I was with friends and because of it enjoyed the match more than I would have done being alone, but I think this is awesome.

After much suffering and joy with my friends I walked back home (it was like 10 blocks) and wherever I walked trough there were people celebrating, streets blocked, groups of people singing the national anthem and a lot of other stuff that I never experienced. In fact, 2 blocks from home there were a bunch of people (like 100 or so) celebrating and I joined them for a while.
Actually, I saw the match in the 21st floor of a building and after we had won the PKs you could go out to the balcony and hear, fireworks, chants, horns, and probably everything that could make a loud noise.

For a while I felt really happy about everything. I no longer believe that a World Cup result will help this awful government that much and I think a win that can bring joy is a good thing right now.  

So I fully support my team in the final, we may lose like in 2010, we may lose like Brazil did, but I’m going to watch every single minute of that match and I’m going to enjoy it no matter what. And if we win and someone says we don’t deserve it because we were boring or something, then they can go inks themselves and the thing is that apart from the germans who may beat us, we ended up in a better position than all of the people who may criticize us the most, so I don’t care that much.

I wish luck to the german team and their supporters, I hope it’s a good match Cheesy

And thanks to Phil for his support, as fellow descendants from southern Italians I'm sure we have much in common Grin
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1464 on: July 13, 2014, 01:42:13 AM »

This referee has been one of the biggest jokes I have ever seen on TV ...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1465 on: July 13, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »

Wow, I didn't think FIFA would be so blatant. Congratulations Argentina.

LOL

Anyways, Germany are favorites in this but Argentina is going to be a very tough nut to crack. Tougher than France and our strongest opponent so far. (Note that in the early games, Germany weren't playing at their best with Khedira and Schweinsteiger both still very much recuperating.) And should they win, they will deserve the title.

I enjoyed playing in the contest very much, despite my absolute failure, you did a great work and I hope you will stay even if the WC is over Smiley

Argentines tend to be a relatively unfriendly people (sorry Edu)

No need to be sorry since I basically think the same thing. I just hope I didn't came up as unfriendly when we met Tongue
Anyway, I'm glad you are rooting for us Grin

Remember when I said I didn’t care about how we end up in the World Cup? Well, I don’t think a lot of people know me here so You probably don’t, but the fact is that I think I said several times that we were going to lose and that there wasn’t much of a point in following the team since they sucked and the government was going to use them as propaganda..

Well, I guess I was wrong. We beat Netherlands in what to most outsiders was a boring dreadful match, but to me as someone who was rooting for one of the teams involved it was a terribly exciting match. Maybe it’s the fact that this is the first time we reach the SF (and then the final) since I can remember or the fact that I was with friends and because of it enjoyed the match more than I would have done being alone, but I think this is awesome.

After much suffering and joy with my friends I walked back home (it was like 10 blocks) and wherever I walked trough there were people celebrating, streets blocked, groups of people singing the national anthem and a lot of other stuff that I never experienced. In fact, 2 blocks from home there were a bunch of people (like 100 or so) celebrating and I joined them for a while.
Actually, I saw the match in the 21st floor of a building and after we had won the PKs you could go out to the balcony and hear, fireworks, chants, horns, and probably everything that could make a loud noise.

For a while I felt really happy about everything. I no longer believe that a World Cup result will help this awful government that much and I think a win that can bring joy is a good thing right now.  

So I fully support my team in the final, we may lose like in 2010, we may lose like Brazil did, but I’m going to watch every single minute of that match and I’m going to enjoy it no matter what. And if we win and someone says we don’t deserve it because we were boring or something, then they can go inks themselves and the thing is that apart from the germans who may beat us, we ended up in a better position than all of the people who may criticize us the most, so I don’t care that much.

I wish luck to the german team and their supporters, I hope it’s a good match Cheesy

And thanks to Phil for his support, as fellow descendants from southern Italians I'm sure we have much in common Grin

Good luck to you too, Edu...and I also hope for a good match.

Obviously, I'm hoping and praying for a German victory...as I also want to party in the streets tonight, so I can appreciate what you wrote about the joy you witnessed after your semi-final.

But only one can win at all...and if it's not us, I'd much rather lose to you than the Dutch Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1466 on: July 13, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »

Most Argentians I actually met were very welcoming, including yourself Edu. More about the incidental friendliness, like at a shop or whatever. In Chile, if my Spanish was off, I'd get a friendly laugh; in Uruguay, I'd get an attempt to help... in Argentina I was usually seen as a nuisance Tongue

There were exceptions to the rule, of course, but that was the general difference, and was particularly the case in Buenos Aires, where I suppose tourists are less of an oddity. That said, Corrientes is hardly a touristic city and was full of scowls, Gualeguaychu even less so, and even less friendly... I do love Argentina, and I can't wait to return, but if it came to living in South America I'd head for Chile or Uruguay, and I'm still vaguely disappointed they're not in the final Wink

Unimog
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.00, S: -2.00

« Reply #1467 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »

And just a reminder (Italy's feelings about Argentines and Germans in general aside, Serie A representation in both squads:
Germany: 2
Argentina: 7

it's not so impressive if you look which players actually take part in the game.

it is germany 1; argentina 2

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1468 on: July 13, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »

Now making myself a good cup of coffee so that I don't take a nap at some point during the game.

Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1469 on: July 13, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »

Live stream with German commentary (from ARD, one of Germany's main TV channels - the stream should work everywhere and it has good quality):

Link

PS: You need to click on the "play"-button for the stream to play.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1470 on: July 13, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »

Live stream with German commentary (from ARD, one of Germany's main TV channels - the stream should work everywhere and it has good quality):

Link

PS: You need to click on the "play"-button for the stream to play.

Coverage starts now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1471 on: July 13, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »

It is estimated that 35-40 Mio. Germans will watch this game on TV today (not to mention all the people in public viewing places, online streams, etc.)

The semi-final was watched by 33 Mio. people.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1472 on: July 13, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

Merkel already in da house:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1473 on: July 13, 2014, 01:48:30 PM »

Deutschland Über Alles! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1474 on: July 13, 2014, 01:52:08 PM »

Khedira out (foot pain). Kramer in (needs to deal with Messi).
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies