FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:01:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 114511 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:02 AM »

I miss Lewis, glad that the booby prize for 2010 will bring him back if only for a little while.

Also, I've decided my deluded hope for Australia isn't making the second round, which is just a bridge too far, but instead two non-losses, with one non-loss being acceptable.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »

I'm hoping the French get knocked out in the (easiest) group round for the lulz, along with one of Italy (please) or England (good enough).

Group A should be quite interesting. Brazil are obviously the strongest team here, but none of the other three are in any way walkovers. Mexico and Cameroon are not what they can be at their best, but are still good teams.

1. Brazil
2. Croatia
3. Cameroon
4. Mexico

Group B... well, I *do* think the Aussie team this year is better than in 2010, but our group is harder than even that bastard of a group (Germany, Ghana, Serbia) considering we've managed to land the two finalists from last time around. Chile is about on par with us, when both teams are playing their best. The home continent advantage might exist, dunno yet, and I also don't know if it's necessarily all that big a deal with two southern hemisphere teams. But the truth is, there's almost no way that Spain and the Netherlands aren't escaping the group, and if one of them does miss out, it's more likely to be to Chile's benefit.

1. Netherlands
2. Spain
3. Chile
4. Australia

Group C is kind of star-less - none of these four is going to win the cup, that's pretty clear - and I'd've happily swapped the Netherlands with any of them. All four could definitely make it through the group though, so it will still be an interesting one to watch. I will admit to hoping the Greeks don't progress, for two reasons: 1. I want the Euro-boosters to be denied the opportunity to say that they filled as many of the f16 spots as was possible; 2. The Greek-Australians will be absolutely unbearable. I have a lot of trouble with ranking this group, because Cote d'Ivoire on the right day is the best group of players here, but they're not necessarily a well-blooded team. The Japanese are consistent at a level more or less equal with the Greeks, and I have no idea where Colombia sits really, but I suspect they are the strongest of the four overall, and I do know that they have a few years to looks forward to soccer-wise, that might start with a strong showing in Brazil. All four could be in any spot, but...

1. Colombia
2. Japan
3. Greece
4. Cote d'Ivoire

Group D is basically the biggest opportunity for Australians to feel some joy in this world cup, even if it's more schadenfreude. If Italy and England both get knocked out, it's delicious. Obviously though, Costa Rica isn't going anywhere, so I'll just have to be happy with Uruguay getting over the top of one of them. As much as I can't stand Suarez, the Uruguayan team is easily the best to watch, and I also tend to think that they're the best of the three, with local conditions certainly not hurting them. Italy is just horrific, obviously, in every way. But the Poms aren't at nearly as high a level as they like to think they are. I'm tipping England into second out of spite, more than expectation, but I will pretend this is based on Phil's often repeated line that Italy are always slow to warm up.

1. Uruguay
2. England
3. Italy
4. Costa Rica

Group E is a massive snooze for me, tbh. France getting knocked out is a genuine possibility, although not likely. Switzerland is probably better than Ecuador by more than enough to get through, and Honduras is a rung below Ecuador. I actually think the Swiss have a pretty good shot at topping the group, but logically it has to be...

1. France
2. Switzerland
3. Ecuador
4. Honduras

Group F is a great group. The Argentinians are the strongest here, but certainly not certain. They need to work in all the matches, but should still top the group. The other three could all fill the second spot, although Iran's chances are perhaps the weakest. Nigeria aren't as tested as the B-H team, but have more raw skill, which is a pretty common theme for the African teams. If they've got themselves together, they have to be the favourite to go second, or even push Argentina into that spot. But Bosnia-Herzegovina isn't to be discounted at all, and Iran isn't a complete walkover itself.

1. Argentina
2. Nigeria
3. Bosnia-Herzegovina
4. Iran

Group G is kind of the group of death, except for the group that has the two finalists from 2010, another team in the world's top 16, and us. All four teams are good, and all four could make it through. Germany is, as always, an incredibly strong team and has to be favourite to top the group, but it's far from gauranteed with the other three teams. Portugal aren't as good as they have been, but are certainly still a very, very dangerous side. The USA is a lot better than people want to accept they are, and deserve to be a regular feature of the f16 in World Cups, but I suspect they might end up harshly in the bottom of the group here. Of course, there's no reason to say they couldn't top it. All games will be hard for all teams, and the Ghanaians rise to the challenge better than almost any nation in the world. They could lose every game, but they could win them all too, and sneak above Portugal in my estimations, largely because I want to see CRonaldo get abused in the media. I suspect this might be the group that I differ with the general consensus on the most, but I'm happy enough to say these are my ratings, in a group that's very hard to rate.

1. Germany
2. Ghana
3. Portugal
4. USA

Group H... borrrrringggggg. Kind of wish we'd been popped in here instead of South Korea, cos we could have escaped the group. Algeria are the clear bottom dwellers here, the other three all roughly even. None will win the world cup, or even their round of 16 games, so it doesn't really matter which order I put them in, I guess. Belgium is probably number 1, Russia and South Korea are dead even in my eyes, and not far below the Belgians anyway. I'm going with Russia as number two but without any particular reason other than maybe a bit of extra drive with 2018 on the horizon? Not a particularly good reason at all, but it'll do for separating the two.

1. Belgium
2. Russia
3. South Korea
4. Algeria

Group of 16:

Brazil over Spain (Brazil at home aren't unbeatable, but even against the Spaniards have to be my favourite to win)
Netherlands over Croatia (Croatia is a good side that's overrated, the Dutch are a great side that's underrated)
England over Colombia (50/50 on this one. I need to look more into Colombia tbh)
Uruguay over Japan (Vamo' Celeste!)
Nigeria over France (probs not but I want it to happen Tongue)
Argentina over Switzerland (the Swiss are a good team, Argentina is better)
Germany over Russia (it's Germany, after all)
Ghana over Belgium (or Portugal, or the USA. Belgium is far from a slouch, but the survivors of Group G are going to be bloodthirsty, whoever they are)

QFs

Brazil over England (hard to see the Poms getting past Brazil, if they even make it this far)
Netherlands over Uruguay (Such a horrible choice to have to make - I'd love both to make the semis - but despite the location, and despite the ranking, I still think at the end of the day that the Netherlands is the better side, ever so slightly)
Germany over Nigeria (it's Germany, after all)
Argentina over Ghana (Ghana has used up all the luck/bias I'm able to give them Tongue)

SFs

Brazil over Germany (it's Brazil, after all)
Netherlands over Argentina (I changed this three times over the course of writing it out. Argentina should probably win, but... the Dutch are going to be spectacular this year, I feel it in my waters Tongue Argentina might grab the 3rd place off Germany though.)

Final

Brazil over the Netherlands (tragically)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:06:57 AM »

I see Phil's getting his trolling on early.

Italy won't get to the semis, let alone the final. Portugal might fluke a run to the final, but against any of the teams that could get there they'd be toast.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »

Get your own thread, Eurotrash.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:40:15 AM »

It's all about building for the future, as with us dropping captain Lucas Neill from our squad. He's not going to 2018 and we're getting massacred anyway, so no 2014 for him.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »

We might not win the world cup, but Australia has definitely won the World Cup song competition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrOLGifnMJk

(Seriously, you'll love it)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:26 AM »

Also, NSFW and not as good, but starring Phil's Aussie-Italian cousin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBlrvtaQKCE
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »

Cameroon are dominating at the moment.

They were woeful the whole way through Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »

This is going to be ugly.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »

2-1 at half time, we got our goal, excellent. Now we can lose with vague dignity Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 05:38:43 AM »

Ugh, Italy are almost certainly through now.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 10:30:35 PM »

Pepe... stupid, but just reminding the world that soccer is for the weak. I'd've sent them both off, for diving and the Maori kiss (that was far from a headbutt), or neither. Diving is worse than the headbutting in my eyes, which is why Italy in particular are such a noxious team.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 05:15:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCw9RHI5mc
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »

This is all moot because Australia will beat the Dutch.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 11:22:19 AM »

Australia was actually kind of... better than the Dutch until that goal Tongue

HOLD UP! TIM CAHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »

Did he just get stretchered off after less impact than coming down from taking a mark?

ing hell, soccer.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »

Fun fact: In 3 head to head matches, Australia and the Netherlands have drawn twice, and Australia has won once.

We've also never lost to Spain.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »

I don't care if Van Persie gets a hat trick, Australia have already exceeded expectations at this World Cup.

Pressuring the Dutch as if we're Germany, it's stunning.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »

STRAYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »

Australia is genuinely the better team, but the handful of times the Dutch go forward, their natural telant shines, 2-2, and anything from here is still something to be proud of... but I have a feeling Cahill is going to go all out considering he isn't in the next game anyway.

Problem is, so will Van Persie. But... we can definitely win this game.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »

Dammit, we should have goaled then, and the Dutch get a far too easy one on the counter.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »

If you told me before the game we'd lose 3-2, I'd've been happy to hear it. But it feels like we deserved at least a point out of this.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »

Australia need the Spanish to win by a couple of goals to keep hope alive. Cos if both Spain and Australia play against each other as we did against the Dutch, we could just get a miracle out of the Group of Death.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »

Game finally finally finally turned away from snoozefest in the last ten with the two Colombian goals/Drogba. Still a bad game but no longer the worst of the tournament so far.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »

Ivorian goal! Crazy ten minutes, and the Colombians seem to be just around the corner from a third.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies