Opinion of Sandra Fluke
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Sandra Fluke
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Sandra Fluke
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Opinion of Sandra Fluke  (Read 4039 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »

Conservatives don't complain about insurance covering gunshot wounds, STD treatments, or injuries sustained during fornication.  Why single out birth control pills?

Hint:  It's because "The Pill" is for women.  There is no male birth control pill, but if there were there would not be nearly as much controversy about insurance companies having to cover it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 12:11:30 AM »

A fluke is the name of a parasitic worm. Her last name fits her well.

While I don't agree with the comparison, this is what I think of when I hear her name.

I don't like the attacks on her, but that's not enough for me to consider her an FF.  She goes to a school she knows has certain values, then complains when they don't fund something for her that goes against those values and she wants to force them to.  I'm sure she's a nice person, but that's not right in my book.
Georgetown should actually be responsive to its student body that allows for its continued existence as a prestigious and hallowed instiution, no?

Yes. It should also be true to the Jesuit tradition that made it a prestigious and hallowed institution in the first place.  In any case I don't see how a university's need to be responsive means going to Congress demanding a law.
Because Georgetown is a classic example of an institution not being responsive to the needs and wants of those that allow it to function. This is quite simple really. If you support Georgetown's right to enforce arcane doctrine that is inevitably going to be revised this century, fine. At least acknowledge that being against birth control is bizarre and anachronistic in the 21st century.

I don't adhere to the Catholic doctrine against contraception, but I can generally understand and appreciate it, and I don't find it bizarre for the most part nor do I find it anachronistic.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 12:15:18 AM »

While I don't agree with the comparison, this is what I think of when I hear her name.

I don't like the attacks on her, but that's not enough for me to consider her an FF.  She goes to a school she knows has certain values, then complains when they don't fund something for her that goes against those values and she wants to force them to.  I'm sure she's a nice person, but that's not right in my book.
Georgetown should actually be responsive to its student body that allows for its continued existence as a prestigious and hallowed instiution, no?

Yes. It should also be true to the Jesuit tradition that made it a prestigious and hallowed institution in the first place.  In any case I don't see how a university's need to be responsive means going to Congress demanding a law.
Because Georgetown is a classic example of an institution not being responsive to the needs and wants of those that allow it to function. This is quite simple really. If you support Georgetown's right to enforce arcane doctrine that is inevitably going to be revised this century, fine. At least acknowledge that being against birth control is bizarre and anachronistic in the 21st century.

I don't adhere to the Catholic doctrine against contraception, but I can generally understand and appreciate it, and I don't find it bizarre for the most part nor do I find it anachronistic.
Having sex without worrying about pregnancy is the bedrock of modernity, of course.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 12:18:26 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2014, 12:20:53 AM by Lіef »

Being anti-contraception is hardly integral to the Jesuit identity.

Really the only remaining "Catholic identity" that exists at Georgetown is crucifixes in every classroom, marketing catchphrases, and the anti-contraception/anti-abortion rules that required our pro-choice club to be unrecognized by the school (though they were still allowed to hand out free condoms). Also we have to take two theology courses, with no requirement that either of them be about Christianity. But this anti-contraception stuff has always been a pretty transparent attempt by the administration to hang on to some Catholic street cred so that the crusty old Catholic donors don't completely abandon the school. And this was just my undergrad experience. I suspect the law school is even more secular.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »

I expect this to get pretty telling about some people...

You forgot when this was in the OT board, Red?  Hardly.  But tell us, oh sage BRTD, what will this thread tell you?  If we posted Bachmann eating a corndog that looks like a dick, that would be OK but criticizing Ms. Fluk isn't?

Actually, it would be silly to do that too. Bachmann is a terrible woman who promotes hate and toxic ideology and is quite corrupt to boot. An unflattering picture is a pretty silly thing to attack her over when all is said and distracts from the real issue. The difference is that Bachmann is frequently criticized for her terrible views and actions, while attacks on Fluke seldom rise above misogyny and stuff that no one over 15 would find amusing. Actually it's pretty similar to some teenage conservative calling Obama the n-word and then thinking "OMG I'M THE BIGGEST F[INKS]ING BADASS THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN!" as a result of it. The real problem is I have yet to see any actual attempts to rebuke or criticize her claims. I've never seen any conservative blog or magazine run some article like "Debunking Sandra Fluke's Claims", instead it consists of calling her a slut, attacking her for looks (which is pretty absurd considering she is not bad any logical standard ugly, not that it would be OK or deligitimize what she said if she was) and basically act like a conservative version of 4chan. And here in this thread we just see more of it. If you think you are somehow proving...well anything, and accomplishing anything than looking like a complete f[inks]ing misogynistic moron then you are quite mistaken.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 12:38:26 AM »

Honestly HP, because while I believe abortions should be legal, and she's a great fighter in stopping back-alley abortions (by fighting for birth control), I'm uncomfortable with the wholehearted embrace of abortions by my fellow liberals, and I'm just sick of Fluke's name being trumpeted as some sort of heroic freedom fighter.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 12:40:03 AM »

Honestly HP, because while I believe abortions should be legal, and she's a great fighter in stopping back-alley abortions (by fighting for birth control), I'm uncomfortable with the wholehearted embrace of abortions by my fellow liberals, and I'm just sick of Fluke's name being trumpeted as some sort of heroic freedom fighter.

Fluke's advocacy had nothing to do with abortion, and in fact will only DECREASE abortions.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 01:34:27 AM »

Being anti-contraception is hardly integral to the Jesuit identity.

Really the only remaining "Catholic identity" that exists at Georgetown is crucifixes in every classroom, marketing catchphrases, and the anti-contraception/anti-abortion rules that required our pro-choice club to be unrecognized by the school (though they were still allowed to hand out free condoms). Also we have to take two theology courses, with no requirement that either of them be about Christianity. But this anti-contraception stuff has always been a pretty transparent attempt by the administration to hang on to some Catholic street cred so that the crusty old Catholic donors don't completely abandon the school. And this was just my undergrad experience. I suspect the law school is even more secular.

In other words: Contraception is a political issue (ie one of power), utilized by right-wingers as a blunt instrument to bludgeon progressive-minded people with, because the Church has a lot of trouble staying relevant in the 21st century. It has little to do with theology.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »

Having sex without worrying about pregnancy is the bedrock of modernity, of course.
That and unbridled consumerism. The Pope had better get with the program.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:23 AM »

I expect this to get pretty telling about some people...

You forgot when this was in the OT board, Red?  Hardly.  But tell us, oh sage BRTD, what will this thread tell you?  If we posted Bachmann eating a corndog that looks like a dick, that would be OK but criticizing Ms. Fluk isn't?

Except that your critique has all the substance of a 13 year old boy, who after sneaking out of bed to watch late night TV, can't stop snickering at mentions of the word 'penis'.

Oh Gully, sometimes one must give BRTD what he wants - contraversial material.  He made the thread expecting it, like a 13 year old boy would, why not give the kid what he wants?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 09:11:18 AM »

I have absolutely no reason to think anything but positively of her. Like others here, I think it's a shame some people are trying to diminish her importance.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 10:50:54 AM »

The fact that her mere presence causes Republicans to reflexively spew misogynist filth makes her a very valuable asset. Mega FF.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 03:31:27 PM »

FF.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »

nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 08:56:23 PM »

very mild FF, not some super hero, but mild FF sure.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »

Smarter than the other day when she was going to run for Waxman's seat. 
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 09:18:45 AM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »