The NRCC is scamming voters out of their money
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:42:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The NRCC is scamming voters out of their money
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The NRCC is scamming voters out of their money  (Read 3431 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 06:09:36 PM »

It says 'defeat' in pretty big letters, guys.

No it does not.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes they are.

Nice deflection from the insult to Democrats by the NRCC for their disgusting fundraising dishonesty.

You must have an extremely low standard for "reasonably literate".  I fail to see how anyone who is literate enough to fill in the information needed to make a donation would miss that they were soliciting donations against the candidate.

In any case, I doubt the point of these sites is raise money directly.  Rather, I think they are bait intended to entice some legal action against them which regardless of whether it is successful or not they can present to the base as evidence that "Obama and the liberal Democrats don't want people to learn the truth about <insert name here>.  Please give generously to ensure that we can spread the truth about <insert name here> and defeat (him/her) this November."
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »

This is the right way to use negative ads in campaigning against a liberal candidate:

X votes with Barack Obama 92% of the time. She votes for ruinous taxes and for government regulations that stall American economic growth. She has San Francisco values that just don't fit the values (show a Gay Pride march) of hard-working people of (insert name of the Red state).  She voted for Obamacare. (show people cursing at higher medical costs) She's an enemy of the energy that we need. (show shuttered industrial plant) She'd rather give more welfare than create jobs.

We have a choice -- Y  (show pastoral scene with a happy family) -- who will cut taxes, streamline regulations, and create jobs. (show workers going through a turnstile into a factory) Y will vote to give America the best medical care system that money can buy (show reassuring physician). But Y needs your help. If you don't want X for Congress, then send your generous donation to Y.  We can't afford  X in Congress. (show scowling X, fade to an ebullient Y).

Paid for by Y for Congress.

There. No overt deceit about attracting the money of people who support X. If Y is so good, then (s)he ought to get the funding necessary for the campaign from people who share the values of Y.

You can imagine what X could use.

Y stalls all progress. (Show "NO" vote). He well serves out-of-state interests (show fat cats with cigars) and ignores you (show unhappy family). He even says that he wants to privatize social security and abolish Medicare (show aggrieved elderly). He'll sell out the environment out (show polluted scene) for campaign funds.

X will do what is right for you even if she disagrees with President Obama. She will fight for better schools (show happy children in school)  and higher wages (show people shopping). She's for people in her district, and she won't sell out. But she needs your help. Send money to X for Congress. 

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »

pbrower, you seem to be confusing how politics should work with what actually works in politics.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »

It says 'defeat' in pretty big letters, guys. No reasonably literate person is going to be tricked into donating money by the Democratic candidate's picture. It's an insult even to a Democrat to think they would donate to this by mistake.

The address is "contribute.sinemaforcongress.com," for crying out loud.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/03/republican-website-donations_n_4719196.html

NRCC is giving refunds to those who ask. Those who do not realize won't be so lucky.

If I'm these candidates, I send out a mass e-mail warning people not to be tricked, to ask for a refund if they have been tricked, and also slamming the NRCC for these slimy tactics.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »

It says 'defeat' in pretty big letters, guys. No reasonably literate person is going to be tricked into donating money by the Democratic candidate's picture. It's an insult even to a Democrat to think they would donate to this by mistake.

But sinemaforcongress.com is clearly an opposition site. How does one get to the contribute page?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »

But sinemaforcongress.com is clearly an opposition site. How does one get to the contribute page?

That doesn't mean it isn't misleading. They have formatted all of it to appear as if these pages are supporting her, something that you must read in-depth on the page to see it is false.

It is likely illegal on the basis of using candidate name, and is certainly immoral regardless.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »

If the DCCC pulled this on Republican candidates, I think a lot of the responses in this thread would be different. Double standards.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »

If the DCCC pulled this on Republican candidates, I think a lot of the responses in this thread would be different. Double standards.

Not mine!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »

When it comes to scamming people out of money, the GOP is eager to work across party lines.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 11:57:15 PM »

Yeah, what kind of idiot would visit 'sinkforcongress2014.com' and assume it's pro-Alex Sink?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »

It says 'defeat' in pretty big letters, guys.

No it does not.

Yes they are.

Do you have anything to offer besides thoughtless contradiction?

Nice deflection from the insult to Democrats by the NRCC for their disgusting fundraising dishonesty.

I think you have some prepositions mixed up because I couldn't make heads or tails of this sentence.

Yeah, what kind of idiot would visit 'sinkforcongress2014.com' and assume it's pro-Alex Sink?

Having just opened the website on a separate tab, I'd have to say it would take someone very remarkable. The website says in large bold print 'Alex Sink - a risk we can't afford', and then in bigger letters, 'Help us stop Alex Sink from bankrupting us in Congress - Sign up Today'. The YouTube video it invites everyone to watch (the only thing bigger than the word 'DONATE') is a negative ad attacking Sink's pretty pro-Obamacare record that most of the district opposes. The website also features a large picture of Sink scowling.

It would have to take someone pretty idiotic.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »

So tell me then, what exactly is the purpose of registering that domain?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »

To disseminate negative advertisements about Sink to Sink supporters, and to try to dissuade Sink supporters from donating to her -- and in a best-case scenario to donate to the NRCC. It is very obviously targeted toward Sink supporters, but the website doesn't make any show of being pro-Sink and it's ludicrous to suggest it does.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 12:21:09 AM »

That doesn't mean it isn't misleading. They have formatted all of it to appear as if these pages are supporting her, something that you must read in-depth on the page to see it is false.

It is likely illegal on the basis of using candidate name, and is certainly immoral regardless.

I never said it wasn't misleading or immoral.  I'm just not sure it's risen to the level of being illegal.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 01:48:27 AM »

To disseminate negative advertisements about Sink to Sink supporters, and to try to dissuade Sink supporters from donating to her -- and in a best-case scenario to donate to the NRCC. It is very obviously targeted toward Sink supporters, but the website doesn't make any show of being pro-Sink and it's ludicrous to suggest it does.

You do realize that most donation pages like that are designed to function as landing pages? That means that they are built with the sole intent of the link being shared via email, social media and other sources as a quick and easy way to contribute. A pitch is usually made off of the page (perhaps in a status update or email) and the person clicks on the link, which takes them directly to that page to contribute. Most people who contribute do so after being solicited, and click on whatever link asks them to contribute. For all we know, there are tons of fake accounts out there that were sharing these links through Democratic social circles online in an attempt to collect money that way.

I doubt any of this matters, though, since you've already admitted that screwing the so-called ignorant out of their money is morally acceptable. Hell, it's the basis for your economic ideology, after all.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »

I'd love to see on the NRCC's lawyers use krazen's argument in court.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 11:12:46 AM »

But, the intent of the domain is still dishonest. But, coming from you and your buddy, krazen, I would expect no less than a convoluted defense for partisan tricks like this.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »

The intent here is clearly to trick people who intend to donate to one candidate into donating to a fund to defeat them. Clearly. There is no question here as to the intent.

What's wrong with you people? Why do you feel the need to defend something that's obvious bull$hit? Clear fraud is clear fraud.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 01:04:37 PM »

It's so pathetic and typical of the forums Republicans to "defend" this. The only way you can defend this is to be knowingly dishonest.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 02:01:06 PM »

It's so pathetic and typical of the forums Republicans to "defend" this. The only way you can defend this is to be knowingly dishonest.

You act like a majority of the forum's Republicans have defended this...
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »

I was able to get to it from Chrome fine just now.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

contribute.sinkforcongress2014.com should not be a NRCC website.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2014, 08:57:15 PM by krazen1211 »

Apparently they got the idea from the liberals. Fight fire with fire!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies