Ideology of the Tea Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:45:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Ideology of the Tea Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What's the ideology of the Tea Party?
conservative
libertarian
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Ideology of the Tea Party  (Read 3553 times)

excelsus
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »

Who wears the pants?
Paul or Cruz?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:47:17 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2014, 11:48:52 PM by Rep. Deus »

I think the Tea Party has become pretty removed from its Paulist roots (if it even had those in the first place). Now it seems like many Tea Partiers are perfectly fine with neocons as long as they're conservative enough on economics.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:10:04 AM »

In many cases its a mix of libertarian influence and conservatism, but it is obviously more conservative than libertarian.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:15:43 AM »

fascism
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »

Conservative, obviously. What Deus and Jbrase said.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »

The Tea Party is only "libertarian" in the sense that the movement emphasizes economic issues. Pretty much all of the Tea Partiers themselves are staunch SoCons.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »

The intellectuals were libertarian but the movement is now overrun with authoritarian followers, who while generally conservative in their demands probably should not be described as such simply because it is an insult to conservatives who actually developed their views in very thoughtful, respectable ways.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »

Most Tea Party supporters would be Nazi voters in Weimar.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »

It started off as a rebranding of Paulism back in 2009, but it very quickly spun out of control and by late-2011-ish it was fully under the control of anti-establishment conservative types like Bachmann and Cruz. Conservative.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »

White nationalism and you can't tell me anything else.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »

The actual supporters, I think are a mixed bag of different conservative constituencies.

Intellectually, there are the some interesting strains in there. 

Libertarianism/Ron Paulism/Goldbugism/Austrian Economics

Mark Levin/Andrew Napolitano type amateur revisionist Constitutional law

Racist xenophobia

"Groucho Marxist" oppositism, IE Whatever it is, I'm against it.

So, in summary, their ideology is racism and the type of economics and law only a stupid racist would understand or come up with.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »

It was originally Paulite but now it seems it's just extreme conservative and anti-Obama. Either Paul or Cruz are pretty good fits for the Tea Party and could easily corral support as long there's a Democrat in the White House.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »

They have no coherent ideology.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »

Their only coherent ideology is opposition to anything Obama supports.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 07:54:57 PM »

They are fascist.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »

Conservative with some paleolibertarian tendencies. Most of them are critical of the NSA and the surveillance state because the current President has a (D) behind his name.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 08:47:09 PM »

Libertarians want to replace the authority of government with the authority of individuals.

Tea Partiers want to replace the authority of the federal government with the authority of state governments acting as agents for their preferred "powers that be" - religious institutions, corporations and the collective mass of elderly, white taxpayers.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »

This thread feels like the Yahoo! message boards --> not good
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »

Conservative with some paleolibertarian tendencies. Most of them are critical of the NSA and the surveillance state because the current President has a (D) behind his name.
Well some are critical of NSA and some aren't. Rand Paul and Justin Amash are. Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz I don't think are.
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »

Libertarians want to replace the authority of government with the authority of individuals.

Tea Partiers want to replace the authority of the federal government with the authority of state governments acting as agents for their preferred "powers that be" - religious institutions, corporations and the collective mass of elderly, white taxpayers.
Well yeah the want the states to have more control of their governments so that's mostly true. Religious Institutions and corporations? I don't know about that. What they want is a return to the constitution as it was originally written when it was written. I hate to break it to them but its not gonna happen.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2014, 02:03:51 AM by IndyTexas »

Well yeah the want the states to have more control of their governments so that's mostly true. Religious Institutions and corporations? I don't know about that. What they want is a return to the constitution as it was originally written when it was written. I hate to break it to them but its not gonna happen.

Why would anyone want to return to an interpretation of the Constitution circa 1789?

Do these people not get that that's the same Constitutional interpretation that allowed for the buying and selling of black people, that did not allow women most of the rights men enjoyed and that even denied most white men the right to vote due to the property requirements and poll taxes most states implemented?

I truly do not understand what these people find so offensive about the 21st century.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »

They are basically the type of trash talking sports fan who goes to all the games,win or lose, but will mock their team in a losing year.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 02:27:12 AM »

Why would anyone want to return to an interpretation of the Constitution circa 1789?

Do these people not get that that's the same Constitutional interpretation that allowed for the buying and selling of black people, that did not allow women most of the rights men enjoyed and that even denied most white men the right to vote due to the property requirements and poll taxes most states implemented?

I truly do not understand what these people find so offensive about the 21st century.

Its not about buying and selling black people and not allowing women or poor white men income wise not to vote. I don't think the Tea Party is for those 2 or 3 things. Sorry if I give you the wrong impression. The Tea Party is for Voter ID though so I guess that goes along with the subject though.

What the Tea Party wants is a smaller government they just think its too big and bloated right now. They just think its a good idea to go back to the constitution because the government would run better that way in their opinion and that's the way the framers intended the government to run in the first place.

I don't think they find the 21st Century offensive its just different for them they are agonized that the government is 17-18 trillion dollars in debt.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 02:30:11 AM »

They are basically the type of trash talking sports fan who goes to all the games,win or lose, but will mock their team in a losing year.
Huh? What?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies