Opinion of the Atlas Forum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:49:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the Atlas Forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: This had to happen.
Freedom Forum

Horrible Forum

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Opinion of the Atlas Forum  (Read 3051 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2014, 11:50:30 PM »

It needed to be asked. Thoughts?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »

LOL
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:43 PM »

A wretched hive of True Leftism and other types of stupidity
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »

The best forum because of its intimate community. Obviously awful for this reason as well.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2014, 07:54:16 AM by Sol »

The best forum because of its intimate community. Obviously awful for this reason as well.
This, essentially.

The Atlas is crazy insular. We're kind of hard to find for whatever reason and we don't get sudden streams of new posters like other forums- It's telling that you'll often see "Opinion of x" threads about new members before they've even made 20 posts. This, in turn, has fostered a very intimate atmosphere, including all that is celebrated about this place. But the insularity has led to kind of an abrasive culture (I think partially fostered by the various mines) which can sometimes (though not always) be problematic.

I think a bigger problem is this though- The Atlas attracts a very homogenous group of posters- young, white, middle class-upper class men. Thus, it often suffers from a lack of diversity of viewpoints (underrepresented ones include female/feminist views, and to a much lesser extent, social conservatism), which means that someone with views which challenge their worldview tend to cause an explosion (some major explosion causes in the past include Sandra Fluke and trans* rights).

Still, overall FF. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think so.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »

FF (intimate community)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »

A cesspool of degenerate whores (or so I believe the saying goes) and Nathan.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »

I think it's a unique place for a number of reasons, but I'd hate to be a new member here. It seems like it's a bit difficult to "break in." One slip up and we'll be making an "Opinion of" thread and define you immediately.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »

I think it's a unique place for a number of reasons, but I'd hate to be a new member here. It seems like it's a bit difficult to "break in." One slip up and we'll be making an "Opinion of" thread and define you immediately.

New members are automatic "socks" until they prove they're not.  The Forum was much more welcoming back in 2005
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »

This place is certainly awesome despite some of the b.s. I found it looking for old electoral maps (North / South plus how the West voted as it expanded) and then I found the forum and haven't looked at any maps in ages, it seems like. Tongue

The fact that there is a very manageable number of regular posters is a great asset.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »

New members are automatic "socks" until they prove they're not.  The Forum was much more welcoming back in 2005

For a split second there, I thought you said "New members are autistic..."  Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 02:01:10 PM »

New members are automatic "socks" until they prove they're not.  The Forum was much more welcoming back in 2005

For a split second there, I thought you said "New members are autistic..."  Tongue

I get in enough trouble for what I really say.  Wink
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »

For a split second there, I thought you said "New members are autistic..."  Tongue

I mean...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

This place is certainly awesome despite some of the b.s. I found it looking for old electoral maps (North / South plus how the West voted as it expanded) and then I found the forum and haven't looked at any maps in ages, it seems like. Tongue

The fact that there is a very manageable number of regular posters is a great asset.

Essentially my story as well, nearly 6.5 years ago.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »

It's gone downhill fast thanks to everyone trying to have everyone else censored or banned lately.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »

It's not what it was. There are little sections that are very good though, so that's something.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »

Anyone who votes HP should leave. But sadly, many of those cynics are so detached from reality that Atlas is all they have.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 03:34:56 PM »

Oh, btw, I think rating the Atlas by boards would be more interesting.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »

Exactly. I think there is a great international crowd - I came and stayed here for the International Elections board. I also enjoy international sports, especially football (soccer) chat, and some of the things going on in the Political Geography board.  The Economics board isn't bad, but could do with a few more quality contributors.

When it comes to US issues, it sometimes gets a bit banal to me. There are many qualified US posters here, but from time to time they seem to become drowned by the prevailing high-school debate club atmosphere. That perception, however, may change when its US election season again. [Don't get me wrong - there are a number of youngsters here with quality contributions. There's also nothing wrong with the Forum being a playground for other youngsters, but its not what it is making it interesting to me].

I miss some of the "intelligent trolls" - barfbag or opebo. They spiced up things a bit. Apparently, my tolerance goes beyond the forum mainstream. While I don't think "prude brood" is an appropriate term (the move against opebo came from a variety of directions and reasons), I personally wish for a more laid-back attitude when it comes to dealing with provocation and differing opinions.

New members having to prove themselves? Yes, of course, but that's  happening in every community. This place is in essence about maps and election forecasts/results. When you are able to provide input on both, its not too hard to get accepted. If you mistake the Forum for a generic political discussion board - well....
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »

Well I'm certainly glad that I found the forum.  FF, one of the best. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »

It's a Freedom Forum.  Many things have gone down hill in the past 10 years, but there are still many things  going for it.  I don't visit the International boards very often and instead spend much of my time in the Forum Community (shocker!), Off Topic, and the various Stateside election boards.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »

Freedom forum
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »

Freedom Forum, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Should I (or someone else) do that? I've thought of that at one point or another too, I just didn't know if it would belong here or in the off-topic board.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »

A shell of itself compared to when I joined nearly ten years ago (The Golden Era). Seriously, the brats around here have no idea what they missed. I remember the genuine excitement and classic characters of this place from 2004-2007ish. Those were the days.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies