SENATE BILL: The Glorious Airport Renaming Act of 2014 (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:02:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Glorious Airport Renaming Act of 2014 (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Glorious Airport Renaming Act of 2014 (Vetoed)  (Read 3671 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2014, 10:54:15 PM »

We aren't taking all of these airports under our control. It will cost us billions I'd rather throw at other things. Tongue

If there are airports that the federal government operates, sure, we can, but otherwise, this may be fun but not feasible.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »

So it looks like the only sensible choice here is to drop the bill and let the regions name their own airports like they should be able to.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »

We aren't taking all of these airports under our control. It will cost us billions I'd rather throw at other things. Tongue

If there are airports that the federal government operates, sure, we can, but otherwise, this may be fun but not feasible.

Actually, yea, can we even rename these? I was going to redraft to include a more balanced bill, but the question now is whether this is a job for the regions or a job for us?

Do the regions staff their own TSA molestors? If not, I don't see why they would feel entitled to name the airports.

I don't see how the TSA has anything to do with it. Most commercial service airports are publicly owned by local or state governments - the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority is perhaps the only one where the Senate can claim jurisdiction. Houston's owned by Houston, Dallas by the Cities of Dallas and Ft. Worth, Atlanta by the city, Tampa by the county, Orlando by the city and county, Miami by the county, Ft. Lauderdale by the county, Charlotte by the city - none of it's owned by the feds.

Right, so do we even have authority to rename these airports without putting them under federal control?

I certainly won't sign anything that doesn't give me an airport somewhere either. Wink

So put them under federal control in the redraft.

You're going to pay billions to operate airports and take that away from the regions? Hartsfield-Jackson, for what it's worth, has around $3B in debt - just so you know what you're getting into.

From my initial assessments, the structural debt associated with just this one airport isn't a result of continuous deficits. FY2014 estimates show expenses of $255,000,000 and revenues of $497,000,000.

Besides, can you really put a price tag on great game moderation? We can't be for sure of the true costs at the moment, so we have to pass the bill to find out what's in the bill.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2014, 12:21:49 AM »

I can't put a price tag on game moderation because my GM is running for senate, so I am likely to veto this because we can't rename these without assuming billions in debt I'd rather throw elsewhere.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »

I'm probably going to veto this in the next day or so since I don't have a GM yet and I won't know how much this will cost us to do. I can't buy the argument that I have to sign this to find out... seems kind of reckless. Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »

I'm probably going to veto this in the next day or so since I don't have a GM yet and I won't know how much this will cost us to do. I can't buy the argument that I have to sign this to find out... seems kind of reckless. Tongue

$2
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »

I'm vetoing this. Sorry, my friends, but I can't justify nationalizing all these airports just so we can rename them, especially since I am not getting my own airport.

Maybe we can revisit this in the future once I get a GM and we can figure out how much it will cost.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2018, 03:17:10 AM »

Somebody resurrect this ASAP
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2018, 06:08:43 AM »

And I thought there were dumb bills now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies