Anybody think Rick Perry will run in 2016? lol lol lol
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:13:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Anybody think Rick Perry will run in 2016? lol lol lol
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anybody think Rick Perry will run in 2016? lol lol lol  (Read 2700 times)
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »

Maybe to split the SoCon vote like he was commissioned to do in '12 so as to guarantee a Romney coronation (and as "reverse mortgage" Fred Thompson was commissioned to do in '08 to ensure McCain). The goal is to nominate a "moderate" like McCain or Romney that demoralizes SoCons in swing states allowing the Wall Street approved Democrat to win in the general.  White working-class SoCons are sure to show up in droves for Christie in WI, IA, OH, PA, FL, NC, etc. just like they did for McCain and Romney in '08/'12...  I suspect Christie, despite because of bridgegate, will be the demoralizer nominee.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »

Perry seems to be improving in the polls lately. I think I speak for all Democrats when I say I hope his fortunes continue to improve...
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 12:43:20 PM »

GOPers tend to nominate someone who has run before, the only modern exception was George Bush Jr. who had the built in name recognition. Perry has done all the right things since 2012 in rehabilitating his image, and not just the glasses. He is being seriously under-estimated. His big liability is his bad debate performances in 2011, so what happens after he is able to deliver a couple of good debate performances in 2015? Then everyone will remember the good stuff they liked about him that made him the front-runner the minute he got in the race in August 2015. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »

Even if Perry can avoid the huge gaffes of last time, there's simply nothing about him that appeals to IA or NH. That dooms him. His campaign would already be an afterthought by the time his first winnable states in SC/FL come about.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »

Well he is evangelical and I think if he runs this time he will make a play for that base, especially in IA...not letting Rick (who is actually Catholic) have them all to himself. I could see him getting 2nd in IA, lower in NH, but then coming back to win SC.

It all depends on the field and his ability to avoid gaffes of course. The media will be looking for anything that proves the 'Perry is an idiot' narrative so he will have to very careful to reshape that image. One lapse could kill him.

I am not saying he is a front runner, but the notion that his run is an 'lol' is itself 'lol'.

Of course his chances against Hillary are probably 'lol' but that is a different story.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »

I think he could play well in some places, but I don't see a niche for him to fill. He was needed in 2012 because people wanted a conservative alternative to Romney, and he blew that. No matter how he redefines himself or whatever, I don't see how the activist types are going to go for him over Ted Cruz or Rand, who are more talented and better candidates.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »

Rick Perry is why blood relatives aren't allowed to have children together
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »

Even if Perry can avoid the huge gaffes of last time, there's simply nothing about him that appeals to IA or NH. That dooms him. His campaign would already be an afterthought by the time his first winnable states in SC/FL come about.

Florida isn't an early state anymore.  They're now on Super Tuesday.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 09:57:41 PM »

Well he is evangelical and I think if he runs this time he will make a play for that base, especially in IA...not letting Rick (who is actually Catholic) have them all to himself. I could see him getting 2nd in IA, lower in NH, but then coming back to win SC.

It all depends on the field and his ability to avoid gaffes of course. The media will be looking for anything that proves the 'Perry is an idiot' narrative so he will have to very careful to reshape that image. One lapse could kill him.

I am not saying he is a front runner, but the notion that his run is an 'lol' is itself 'lol'.

Of course his chances against Hillary are probably 'lol' but that is a different story.

The "oops" stuff hurts him, and I agree with Likely Voter that one lapse could end his candidacy.  Given the "tough guy" image Perry tries to project, his "oops" on a rather easy question made him appear to be a poser and an empty suit. 

Perry has lots of political enemies in Texas.  A sitting GOP state official ran an independent candidacy against him in 2006, limiting him to 40% of the vote.  A sitting US Senator opposed him in the 2010 GOP primary.  That's not the kind of thing I would expect from a guy who is supposed to be a leading candidate for his party's Presidential nomination, even in a one-party state.  His record as Governor is OK if you're a conservative, but it's not something that would really grab an independent voter with weak partisan leanings.  And he comes off as ANGRY; not conciliatory at all.  That anger may please Tea Party types, and they're mighty important in the GOP primary mix, but going beyond that will be Perry's big challenge. 

Despite all this, he's got a shot.  The biggest obstacle to Perry's election is whether or not Perry's successor as Governor of Texas overshadows him.  If Wendy Davis is elected, it will be manna from Heaven for Perry, but that's not likely.  If Greg Abbott is elected and does something to gain national headlines, he will detract from Perry and diminish his legacy.  But he's got a shot, and a better shot then Chris Christie, IMO.  That says more about Christie than is does about Perry.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »

He will, but the media won't take him seriously.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:23 AM »

He will, but the media won't nobody should take him seriously.

Fixed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies