New Zealand's Prime Minister favors changing the flag
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:43:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand's Prime Minister favors changing the flag
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: New Zealand's Prime Minister favors changing the flag  (Read 18937 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »

Good; hopefully Australia follows suit in picking a flag which reflects their nation, not their past under London.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »

Yeah, not bad.

I quite like the three proposals since 2002 too:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_flag_debate#Proposals
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:02:20 PM »

Not going to happen any time soon, our Prime Minister is a big supporter of the British royal family, is proud of Australia's British heritage and history, and is a staunch defender of constitutional monarchy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:57 PM »

James Dignan's proposal I think has a bit too much going on, and Helen Clark's is unbalanced in a way that it would take me a while to get used to, but I like Kyle Lockwood's a lot.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »

James Dignan's proposal I think has a bit too much going on, and Helen Clark's is unbalanced in a way that it would take me a while to get used to, but I like Kyle Lockwood's a lot.

Kyle Lockwood's is gorgeous.  I'm a fan.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »

Welcome to the club, NZ!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 11:00:14 PM »

That's a pretty nice new flag idea; I kind of wish the US could change our flag one of these days. It's plastered over so many things that I'm getting sick of it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:50 PM »

I wish Ontario would open up a flag debate as well.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »

I would actually disagree; the current New Zealand pretty accurately reflects the origins of the modern state of New Zealand and none of its symbols are in any way offensive -- why change it?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »

A big problem for them is how similar it is to ours.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 01:33:03 AM »

What an awful design. Black, seriously? 
As Vosem said, the current flag is a perfectly accurate representation of New Zealand's western heritage, culture and founding.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 01:38:49 AM »

As Vosem said, the current flag is a perfectly accurate representation of New Zealand's western heritage, culture and founding.

Hey, if they want to get away from Australia's flag, then why not?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 03:44:00 AM »

Yeah, and Canada should totally get rid of that stupid leaf and go back to this:

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 04:06:37 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2014, 04:09:01 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

For what reason is black an inherently bad color for the field of a flag?

Yeah, and Canada should totally get rid of that stupid leaf and go back to this:

In fairness, the Red Ensign aside, I rather like Pearson's originally intended design, possibly more than the actual current Canadian flag.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 04:08:52 AM »

NZ is very proud of the black and white... so it makes sense, but I like the red/blue fern flag design
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 06:54:42 AM »

The current flag can be argued to display NZ's British background, but it doesn't really represent the country now (and especially not the Maori people, who IIRC are the strongest advocates of flag change). And yeah, it looks too much like Australia's.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 07:14:19 AM »

How awful. The current flag is absolutely lovely. However, perhaps a certain compromise could be reached by keeping the Union Jack in the top left hand corner and displaying the fern on the right of the flag where the stars currently are (or in the middle of the stars?). I mean, I think the fern on its own is a bit bland (and looks far too much like a simple sporting emblem, since I immediately think 'all-blacks' when I see that flag).
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 07:36:36 AM »

How awful. The current flag is absolutely lovely. However, perhaps a certain compromise could be reached by keeping the Union Jack in the top left hand corner and displaying the fern on the right of the flag where the stars currently are (or in the middle of the stars?). I mean, I think the fern on its own is a bit bland (and looks far too much like a simple sporting emblem, since I immediately think 'all-blacks' when I see that flag).

Don't be such a pearl-clutcher Tongue

I think if you asked MOST NZ'ders which symbol they relate to, the Union Jack or the Fern? Guess what the answer would be.

I wonder if the poll is showing in NZ what it is here, that support for retaining the Monarchy/changing the flag (as Canada shows, the two are not directly related) is highest among the old (65+) and the young (18-35). In fact support across the nation is at the lowest recorded level in more than 20 years... as someone who doesn't describe themselves as a republican (albeit verrrry apathetic on the issue, as it doesn't actually do/change anything) that doesn't bother me.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 07:45:21 AM »

For what reason is black an inherently bad color for the field of a flag?

In fairness, the Red Ensign aside, I rather like Pearson's originally intended design, possibly more than the actual current Canadian flag.

Eww, no. One of the reasons why "Pearson's pennant" lost out is because of how ugly it is. It was used as a decoy to get the Tories to "compromise" on the current flag.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 07:57:56 AM »

Reminds me of a certain collar badge:

TTS1996
Rookie
Australia
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 08:22:54 AM »

All the former Dominions have a real lasting link with "the Mother Country"; there's no need or call for getting rid of this beyond the usual childish "anti-imperialist" elements. Even Key doesn't really want this. 110 years of history don't need to go on the pyre just because ADD leftie kids have distracted themselves from last month's fad of wanting to name everything after Nelson Mandela to this "anti-colonialist" crap.

As for the poster who asked "I think if you asked MOST NZ'ders which symbol they relate to, the Union Jack or the Fern?" - if you actually take a look at the NZ flag, it isn't simply a Union Jack.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 08:33:26 AM »

As an Australian, I'm very familiar with the NZ flag. And the point I made about Union Jack vs the Fern was in response to that specific issue of the Union Jack's position not discussing the Southern Cross. The flag issue in Australia and New Zealand has nothing to do with Mandela-worship lefties...

If you're going to try up jump on a high-horse, probably best to get your context sorted... K?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »

Go with Kyle Lockwood's design.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »

I mean, I think the fern on its own is a bit bland (and looks far too much like a simple sporting emblem, since I immediately think 'all-blacks' when I see that flag).

This is a relevant point.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »

All the former Dominions have a real lasting link with "the Mother Country"; there's no need or call for getting rid of this beyond the usual childish "anti-imperialist" elements. Even Key doesn't really want this. 110 years of history don't need to go on the pyre just because ADD leftie kids have distracted themselves from last month's fad of wanting to name everything after Nelson Mandela to this "anti-colonialist" crap.

As for the poster who asked "I think if you asked MOST NZ'ders which symbol they relate to, the Union Jack or the Fern?" - if you actually take a look at the NZ flag, it isn't simply a Union Jack.

But what if they don't want to be confused with Australia's flag anymore?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies