New Zealand's Prime Minister favors changing the flag
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:37:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand's Prime Minister favors changing the flag
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: New Zealand's Prime Minister favors changing the flag  (Read 18927 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
« edited: February 07, 2014, 04:53:37 PM by True Federalist »

Like many here, I like Lockwood's proposal.  The use of the colors of the Union Jack is a sufficient nod to New Zealand's European history.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »

To be fair, on second observation the Lockwood flag is quite nice.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »

All the former Dominions have a real lasting link with "the Mother Country"; there's no need or call for getting rid of this beyond the usual childish "anti-imperialist" elements. Even Key doesn't really want this. 110 years of history don't need to go on the pyre just because ADD leftie kids have distracted themselves from last month's fad of wanting to name everything after Nelson Mandela to this "anti-colonialist" crap.

As for the poster who asked "I think if you asked MOST NZ'ders which symbol they relate to, the Union Jack or the Fern?" - if you actually take a look at the NZ flag, it isn't simply a Union Jack.

But what if they don't want to be confused with Australia's flag anymore?

Only an uninformed moron could confuse the two flags. I understand why this could be a problem for some Americans.

Wow, nice nationalist jab there. You seriously can't see how a flag which is identical to Australia's except for the number/placement of stars and their color would be confusing, even to informed folks?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2014, 05:12:31 PM by Hifly »

All the former Dominions have a real lasting link with "the Mother Country"; there's no need or call for getting rid of this beyond the usual childish "anti-imperialist" elements. Even Key doesn't really want this. 110 years of history don't need to go on the pyre just because ADD leftie kids have distracted themselves from last month's fad of wanting to name everything after Nelson Mandela to this "anti-colonialist" crap.

As for the poster who asked "I think if you asked MOST NZ'ders which symbol they relate to, the Union Jack or the Fern?" - if you actually take a look at the NZ flag, it isn't simply a Union Jack.

But what if they don't want to be confused with Australia's flag anymore?

Only an uninformed moron could confuse the two flags. I understand why this could be a problem for some Americans.

Wow, nice nationalist jab there. You seriously can't see how a flag which is identical to Australia's except for the number/placement of stars and their color would be confusing, even to informed folks?

I neither have any connection to either nation, nor have I ever visited either of them, yet I have mysteriously never had such a problem. From my own personal experience (having both friends and relatives of my own age in the US), I can say with confidence that the geographic knowledge of American teens doesn't approach anything near the levels found in that of my European friends and relatives, and I can imagine this sort of thing confusing them. In fact, most average American teens wouldn't probably be able to recognise the flag of either nation. And if we follow the Republican attitude towards education, it'll probably stay that way.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 06:20:59 PM »

You guys all need to sit down and have a chill pill, yes both the whiny anti-imperialist whine crew and the Arrghh we cannot ever chanage anything crew.

If New Zeelanders feel that their flag isn't an addequate symbol for their country, they should change, if they feel it's a strong and uniting symbol of their country, they should keep it.  

The Fern and the current flag are both used by the NZ-landers I know as a proud symbol of their country, and I think most people down there would be fine with keeping the current one.

Like many here, I like Lockwood's proposal.  The use of the colors of the Union Jack is a sufficient nod to New Zealand's European history.

I actually liked this proposal a lot. It's a really nice flag.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »

Yeah, that flag looks pretty good.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 07:19:13 PM »

New Zealand's current flag is so anonymous as to be unrecognizable, but the replacement is hideous.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »

It's really a quite beautiful design.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »

So, do you think Canada should go back to the red ensign then?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 01:49:59 AM »

What an awful design. Black, seriously?  

For what reason is black an inherently bad color for the field of a flag?

What an awful design. Black, seriously? 
As Vosem said, the current flag is a perfectly accurate representation of New Zealand's western heritage, culture and founding.

Yeah, and Canada should totally get rid of that stupid leaf and go back to this:

In fairness, the Red Ensign aside, I rather like Pearson's originally intended design, possibly more than the actual current Canadian flag.

Eww, no. One of the reasons why "Pearson's pennant" lost out is because of how ugly it is. It was used as a decoy to get the Tories to "compromise" on the current flag.

Then the people involved in the Canadian flag debate by and large had different aesthetic senses than mine. I suppose it might look worse when actually used in the contexts in which flags are used, or when lacking the combination of familiarity and novelty that it has after fifty years of the eventual design.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »

I liked this one better. The "English" colours of the new one don't suit the design.

Nichlemn

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »

I quite like the Lockwood fan. The silver fern has too many associations with sport IMO (though I suppose over time they'd diminish).
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »

I'll join the apparent majority here and say that I think the Lockwood proposal would make for a very nice flag for New Zealand. It keeps the Southern Cross and the same colour scheme. I also like the Dignan proposal as well, but the only drawback with that is that it makes the fern look blurry when viewed on a smaller scale.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »

I'd rather they keep their current flag, but if they must insist on changing it, this would definitely be my top choice, especially if the Tino Rangatiratanga doesn't get more appeal beyond the Maori.

As far as Australia goes, the problem they have is that most of their alternatives are awful, enough to make their current flag look beautiful by comparison.  

This is quite possibly the only one that actually looks half-way decent:

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »

If that's the only one that looks "decent" I do not want to know what the alternative is. 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »

If that's the only one that looks "decent" I do not want to know what the alternative is. 

This one is quite nice.

http://www.sunburntflag.com.au/

Generally red-white and blue is a European colour scheme that is somehow wrong for both NZ and Australia in their present state.
Yellow for the Aussie deserts and green for the fertility of NZ would be fitting colours to include.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »

Australia could always adopt the "Event Horizon" flag:

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 06:46:02 AM »

I'd rather they keep their current flag, but if they must insist on changing it, this would definitely be my top choice, especially if the Tino Rangatiratanga doesn't get more appeal beyond the Maori.

As far as Australia goes, the problem they have is that most of their alternatives are awful, enough to make their current flag look beautiful by comparison.  

This is quite possibly the only one that actually looks half-way decent:

That is ... disgusting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proposed_Australian_flags

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 07:16:37 AM »

At the end of it all, with respect to New Zealand and Australia if you re-design a national flag you have to remember it's a flag, not a sports banner, or tourist board logo (which is what that kangaroo one reminds me of) The 'Ausflag 2000 design get's it right and keeps the integrity of the Australian design. PM Helen Clark's simple design for New Zealand get's it right too. Flags that try and incorporate too many colours and too many designs are too busy.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »

At the end of it all, with respect to New Zealand and Australia if you re-design a national flag you have to remember it's a flag, not a sports banner, or tourist board logo (which is what that kangaroo one reminds me of) The 'Ausflag 2000 design get's it right and keeps the integrity of the Australian design. PM Helen Clark's simple design for New Zealand get's it right too. Flags that try and incorporate too many colours and too many designs are too busy.

Yeah, the Ausflag 2000 design is my favourite of the bunch.
TTS1996
Rookie
Australia
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »

As an Australian, I'm very familiar with the NZ flag. And the point I made about Union Jack vs the Fern was in response to that specific issue of the Union Jack's position not discussing the Southern Cross. The flag issue in Australia and New Zealand has nothing to do with Mandela-worship lefties...
Except it does. Usually it's about ritualistic hat tipping to the Aboriginal population (sod solving their problems with glue and moonshine, toss about changing symbols like the flag is enough...), that got put aside for a bit while toss about Mandela could go on, now it's the flag... the whole ALP anti-Britain cult, chipping away a the identification of 90% of Australians with Britain.

As for all the posts above about how awful it is for Australia and New Zealand to have flags that cretins can easily mix up:

Idiots may mix these up; tough.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »

As an Australian, I'm very familiar with the NZ flag. And the point I made about Union Jack vs the Fern was in response to that specific issue of the Union Jack's position not discussing the Southern Cross. The flag issue in Australia and New Zealand has nothing to do with Mandela-worship lefties...
Except it does. Usually it's about ritualistic hat tipping to the Aboriginal population (sod solving their problems with glue and moonshine, toss about changing symbols like the flag is enough...), that got put aside for a bit while toss about Mandela could go on, now it's the flag... the whole ALP anti-Britain cult, chipping away a the identification of 90% of Australians with Britain.

As for all the posts above about how awful it is for Australia and New Zealand to have flags that cretins can easily mix up:

Idiots may mix these up; tough.

You're completely wrong... but you're welcome to be. On a number of fronts.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »

John Key now says he wants a referendum on the flag question in 2015.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/22/john-key-2015-referendum-new-zealand-flag-union-jack
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »

The silver fern is a striking flag. I'd go for it, especially since NZ's current flag is only a little different from Australia's, which is somewhat more iconic. 

I agree with other posters that Ontario should change theirs as well. I quite frankly find it bizarre when I visit Toronto and see all these red ensigns everywhere.  The inherent Toryism of the design only resonates with a handful of culturally conservative Tories today, rather than the bulk of Ontario

Oddly enough, I find the British Columbian flag, with it's non-conventional union jack incorporation, to be quite pleasant
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 05:05:16 PM »

Afleitch got it right. The main problem with changing the flag is that it could turn into a overly busy, done by committee, piece of crap. Many of the proposals I've seen look really ugly as they try to give little shout outs to half a dozen groups.

I prefer Red/Blue ensigns, but all I really want is for my flag to not look tacky. The silver fern is acceptable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies