Princess Cristina questioned over corruption allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:31:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Princess Cristina questioned over corruption allegations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Princess Cristina questioned over corruption allegations  (Read 1379 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »
« edited: February 08, 2014, 12:22:15 PM by Snowstalker »

Revolving primarily around her husband but still investigated for connections.

Also helps support my hypothesis that Spain becomes a republic fairly soon after Juan Carlos dies. Hope the bottom stripe on my country icon can turn purple. Wink
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »

Poor woman. Good luck to her Sad
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 03:56:03 PM »

Also helps support my hypothesis that Spain becomes a republic fairly soon after Juan Carlos dies. Hope the bottom stripe on my country icon can turn purple. Wink

By then, Catalonia may have gained independence, so if Spain were to change its flag, I think this one would do:
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »

Unfortunately, you are wrong, my friend. Catalonia is not becoming independent and Spain is not becoming a Republic. But I'll keep fighting for the 2nd.

Although Prince Felipe is well-liked (even I mildly like him), we need to shake up things down here if we want to get rid of corruption and privileges for the powerful.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »

Unfortunately, you are wrong, my friend. Catalonia is not becoming independent and Spain is not becoming a Republic. But I'll keep fighting for the 2nd.

Although Prince Felipe is well-liked (even I mildly like him), we need to shake up things down here if we want to get rid of corruption and privileges for the powerful.

You know, there's not difference between a kingdom or a republic.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 05:14:31 PM »

In the Spanish case I think the symbolic difference would be quite significant. Reinstating the monarchy was Francos idea, after all.
TertiumQuid
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

In the Spanish case I think the symbolic difference would be quite significant. Reinstating the monarchy was Francos idea, after all.

Surely Juan Carlos has repaid that debt with interest by now?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »

It was Franco's idea as much as reinstating democracy was Juan Carlos' idea.

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 08:31:40 PM »

He did it. And we repaid him for that, too (by letting him become our King and the head of our democracy). The thing about a Republic is that when your President gets senile or does things such as hunting elephants just after having said that you "can't sleep well because of the high unemployment among the youth" (LoL), has corruption troubles at home..., you can vote him out of office. In a Monarchy, you're stuck with an old man and his (mostly) corrupt family, and the only thing you can do is... well, buy a republican flag. He should've taken some advice from Sweeden and UK Monarchs. If our Monarchy were like those, we wouldn't be talking about a III Republic now.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »

He did it. And we repaid him for that, too (by letting him become our King and the head of our democracy). The thing about a Republic is that when your President gets senile or does things such as hunting elephants just after having said that you "can't sleep well because of the high unemployment among the youth" (LoL), has corruption troubles at home..., you can vote him out of office. In a Monarchy, you're stuck with an old man and his (mostly) corrupt family, and the only thing you can do is... well, buy a republican flag. He should've taken some advice from Sweeden and UK Monarchs. If our Monarchy were like those, we wouldn't be talking about a III Republic now.

How much power does the Spanish monarchy have? I understand it has a great deal of unofficial influence, but how much legal power do Juan Carlos and company have?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:09:03 AM »

This thread reminds me what a shame it is that the Nationalists won the Civil War to begin with.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 01:44:49 PM »

How much power does the Spanish monarchy have? I understand it has a great deal of unofficial influence, but how much legal power do Juan Carlos and company have?

No power. Only signs bills into law and those useless things Kings do in Europe.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »

But if the monarchy were abolished, who would there be to tell South American leaders "por que no te callas"?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies