Most Likely (and best) VP for Rand Paul?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:10:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Most Likely (and best) VP for Rand Paul?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will Rand pick?
Ted Cruz

Scott Walker

Mitch Daniels

Jim DeMint

Mike Pence

Justin Amash

Mike Lee

Marco Rubio

Nikki Haley

Other (Please name this 'other')

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Most Likely (and best) VP for Rand Paul?  (Read 2278 times)
Farage
Elvis Republican
Cape Verde

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:15:46 PM »

Well according to you, who will and/or who should Rand Paul pick, in order to be competitive?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »

All of those seem to be TP picks, for me, I'd probably have him go with Kasich.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »

Walker, Lee, Rubio.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »

Nothing will make Rand Paul competitive.
nuclearneo577
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.70

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2014, 03:35:38 PM by nuclearneo577 »

If Paul wants to go with another Tea Party Republican (which I think he will), Scott Walker. Ted Cruz is pretty much Rand Paul from Texas, they're far too similar to run on the same ticket. Plus Walker has a good anti-union record behind him, as opposed to Cruz who's most famous for shutting the federal government down by himself.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »

Sarah Palin (lol...snicker).
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »

I don't know why you have all these men in the poll, Paul or whoever the GOP nominee is would be dumb not to pick a female running mate.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »

Mike Pence.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 06:28:23 PM »

Other Most Likely: Whomever he chooses playing President Forever.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »

I think Portman would be a good choice. More mainstream, and has experience and gravitas with the budget and economic issues. Mitch Daniels would be a similar choice, but I don't think he'd accept the position.

Since Paul seems genuinely interested in reaching out to minorities, Rubio (or Tim Scott) seems like a possible choice as well.

If Paul wants to double-down on Tea Party credentials, Walker would make sense, but I think that it would be a mistake to paint himself so far into an ideological corner. If Paul is actually interested in winning, Amash, Lee, and DeMint would be huge mistakes, imo. Of course, Paul might not see it that way.
bluedogsam
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »

looks like alot of democrats are putting Rand Paul down so probably they are afraid of him. Mitch Daniels or Walker for vp
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »

looks like alot of democrats are putting Rand Paul down so probably they are afraid of him. Mitch Daniels or Walker for vp
Heh, no, the Democrats were afraid of Christie, now he's collapsed under his own weight, the Dems have no challengers for 2016 (Against Hillary at least)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »

It's an interesting question.

Ted Cruz doesn't seem to have any political convictions aside from being a generic Republican stuff, so he would likely just pick anyone who could help him win.

Rand Paul has some idiosyncratic views. He needs a running mate who doesn't scare the center, doesn't damage his brand and can be a prominent part of his administration.

Running mates can hurt a lot more than they can help, so a big part of the calculus is avoiding harm.

Looking at the poll choices, Cruz has little upside. Walker offers geographic balance and executive experience, although there isn't much demographic upside. Daniels would be an elder statesman type pick, although he did work in the Bush administration. DeMint offers even less upside than Cruz. Pence is a religious nut who under-performed Romney in Indiana. Amash has similar views, but could scare the center. Lee's not going to add much to the ticket, but he can be an effective spokesman with less national baggage than other tea partiers. Rubio's a generic choice. Haley has to win reelection convincingly in order to be considered.

Tim Scott was mentioned as a possible pick, and he would help with the obvious accusations against a guy whose father published some racist newspapers.

Paul probably needs someone with conventional qualifications (Senator/ Governor/ Cabinet) since there aren't many outsiders sufficiently known enough to be plausible on a national ticket. Maybe if Bill Gates wasn't an atheist (although I also doubt he's interested.)

Rick Snyder could help in Michigan, and combines business acumen with conventional qualifications. But he's also a middle-aged white guy.

Jindal doesn't offer much geographic diversity, although a young smart Indiana can help rebrand the party, and it does give favorable emphasis to Paul's medical background.
Farage
Elvis Republican
Cape Verde

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »

I also thought that Chuck Hagel (libertarian+ foreign Policy experience and appeal to independents) could have been a good choice, but the most conservative Republicans will be angry.
Farage
Elvis Republican
Cape Verde

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 07:10:02 AM »

I don't know why you have all these men in the poll, Paul or whoever the GOP nominee is would be dumb not to pick a female running mate.

Of course a female pick will be interesting. But do you think Susana Martinez, McMorris Rodgers, Kristi Noem or another one would accept?

I also think that Rand Paul's VP should be someone who shares some of his views (Foreign Policy would be an important issue) but could also appeal to the center and independents.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »

Of that list, Rubio would be the best choice, with Walker for a close second.

Well according to you, who will and/or who should Rand Paul pick, in order to be competitive?

I don't think he'll get the nomination, but if he did I think he should consider the following:

Kelly Ayotte
Deb Fischer
Bobby Jindal
Ron Johnson
John Kasich
Susana Martinez
Rob Portman
Marco Rubio
Brian Sandoval
Tim Scott
Rick Snyder
Pat Toomey
Scott Walker
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »

Of that list, Rubio would be the best choice, with Walker for a close second.

I don't think he'll get the nomination, but if he did I think he should consider the following:

Kelly Ayotte
Deb Fischer
Bobby Jindal
Ron Johnson
John Kasich
Susana Martinez
Rob Portman
Marco Rubio
Brian Sandoval
Tim Scott
Rick Snyder
Pat Toomey
Scott Walker
Ayotte seems to have different views on foreign policy, although he she seems like an effective fit (diversity, regional balance and strength in a swing state.)

Fischer hasn't been tested on a national level, and doesn't bring much in terms of experience, but helps with diversity and arguments for conservative government.

Johnson's similar to Rand Paul (outsider elected to Senate in 2010 by Tea Party support), but he could be an amplification choice, and help in Wisconsin.

Sandoval's Pro-Choice, and likely to be running for Senate.

Toomey seems like too much of a generic conservative activist to appeal to the middle/ help the Paul campaign.

Of course a female pick will be interesting. But do you think Susana Martinez, McMorris Rodgers, Kristi Noem or another one would accept?

I also think that Rand Paul's VP should be someone who shares some of his views (Foreign Policy would be an important issue) but could also appeal to the center and independents.
Martinez doesn't seem interested in national office.

Noem and McMorris Rodgers are ambitious enough that they'd probably say yes. Noem considered a senate primary against a popular former Governor. McMorris-Rodgers gave the SOTU response. As legislators, both would arguably benefit with the higher profile that comes with a credible bid for national office, even if the ticket loses.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »

Good picks for Paul:

Walker
Daniels (though he probably wouldn't accept)
Hagel
Martinez
Romney (Surprise pick, would help establishment/moderate types)
Ultimately I think he should pick a Governor, or someone else who has been in the executive branch.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »

Agreed. And they would be dumb not to choose a moderate as well. They would be dumb not to choose someone with international or business experience as well. They would be somewhat dumb not to choose a minority as well. So in other words, Condoleeza Rice. Tongue
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »

Since Paul seems genuinely interested in reaching out to minorities, Rubio (or Tim Scott) seems like a possible choice as well.

Tim Scott, really? He doesn't seem like the smartest knife in the drawer to me. Even dumber than Herman Caine, if that is at all possible.

Unless their name is Condi or Colin Powell, the Republican candidate should definitely avoid picking a black VP. Those two are the only talented and well-liked black talents they have in their stock.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »

Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe or Lisa Murkowski. Although Susana Martinez wouldn't do too much harm either. She just seems so amazingly bland to me. Nickey Haley, I guess could be acceptable as well. Their smartest female pick would almost unquestionably be Condoleezza Rice though, especially with all the international experience she has, dealing with Russian leaders included.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »

Agreed. And they would be dumb not to choose a moderate as well. They would be dumb not to choose someone with international or business experience as well. They would be somewhat dumb not to choose a minority as well. So in other words, Condoleeza Rice. Tongue

Rand Paul is going to choose one of the leading proponents of the invasion of Iraq?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2014, 09:31:18 AM by Mister Mets »

Bumping this old thread because I don't see much point to having people rewrite things they posted months ago.

Thought of one more potential Veep for Rand Paul: Luis Fortuņo, the former Governor of Puerto Rico.

Fortuņo is a Hispanic libertarian favorite with executive experience who would allow Rand Paul to emphasize a policy goal that could motivate voters: the addition of Puerto Rico as the 51st state.

He lost a close reelection in a very Democratic year.

It would be the type of choice that wouldn't upset the base, and wouldn't hurt Paul's brand.

Given Paul's current focus on policies that have hurt African Americans, Tim Scott may be the likeliest choice though.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »

Walker of the choices there (contrasts experience). But I think Rand Paul's best choice would be an experienced figure, and so, if Lamar Alexander were about 10 years younger, he would be the favorite pick.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »

Best pick? Someone who won't do a whole lot of good or bad--Portman seems to fit the profile.

Most likely? Someone nuts, like Amash, Cruz, or Lee.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies