CPAC straw poll: Paul 31% Cruz 11% Carson 9% Christie 8% Walker 7% Santorum 7%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:09:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  CPAC straw poll: Paul 31% Cruz 11% Carson 9% Christie 8% Walker 7% Santorum 7%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: CPAC straw poll: Paul 31% Cruz 11% Carson 9% Christie 8% Walker 7% Santorum 7%  (Read 7244 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2014, 06:45:08 PM »

Christie and Cruz improved this standing in this vote from last year.  Goes to show, just be an angry, vindictive person and you will rise to prominence in the conservative movement.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2014, 06:46:38 PM »

I guess it shows that Paul is the GOP front-runner, unless the Establishment unleashes and nominates a Jeb Bush or a Tim Pawlenty or a Marco Rubio, who has gone from Tea Party conservative to a establishment candidate in a year.

Can we stop pretending he's relevant? Please?
If only it were 2011...
I don't know why Minnesota voters and most voters in general don't like him at all. I thought he had a soothing Midwestern appeal .So sad.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2014, 06:54:22 PM by Mr. Morden »

Reformatting the results that Inks posted:

link

Paul 31%
Cruz 11%
Carson 9%
Christie 8%
Walker 7%
Santorum 7%
Rubio 6%
Ryan 3%
Perry 3%
Jindal 2%
Rice 2%
Huckabee 2%
Palin 2%

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »

Bush wasn't included?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2014, 07:08:38 PM »

I'm sure Presidents Kemp, Forbes and Allen will congratulate Paul.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »

For the second year in a row, he asked that his name not be put on the ballot.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »

Big victory for Cruz,  considering these kind of things are automatic for the Paul clan in off years.
hopper
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »

Big victory for Cruz,  considering these kind of things are automatic for the Paul clan in off years.
I actually thought the straw poll was a loss bigger(margin wise) than I thought it would be for Cruz. Palin at 2% of the vote? She is fading away popularity wise even though she had the closing speech.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »

Bumper stickers found at CPAC:

hopper
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2014, 08:22:37 PM »

Christie and Cruz improved this standing in this vote from last year.  Goes to show, just be an angry, vindictive person and you will rise to prominence in the conservative movement.
Christie I just think is corrupt and has a Jersey personality. Cruz is not angry just extreme.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »

I guess it shows that Paul is the GOP front-runner, unless the Establishment unleashes and nominates a Jeb Bush or a Tim Pawlenty or a Marco Rubio, who has gone from Tea Party conservative to a establishment candidate in a year.

Can we stop pretending he's relevant? Please?
If only it were 2011...
I don't know why Minnesota voters and most voters in general don't like him at all. I thought he had a soothing Midwestern appeal .So sad.

My parents are friends with one of Pawlenty's fundraisers from 2012. He's an electric utility CEO who knew Pawlenty and his wife from when they briefly lived in Houston and worked as attorneys here. I got the impression when he mentioned it to me that he was doing it more out of a sense of personal obligation than any enthusiasm for his campaign or the prospect of him winning.

I think T-Paw's problem is that he's incredibly dull but he's not smart or wonky enough to pull it off. Ted Cruz is dull - he's not a particularly uplifting or exciting speaker and he has a sad, droopy blobfish face - but he's also got the mental equivalent of a V12 engine. He's crazy but I've never doubted that he isn't an exceptionally intelligent person by the standards of most politicians. I don't see that with Tim Pawlenty. He's the person you see every weekend at your daughter's softball game and whose small talk follows the exact same script every single time. And you say you should get together to play golf sometime but you never do. And he suggests your wife should give his wife a call sometime but she never does.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »

I unfortunately caught part of Palins spech, my question is , when did she turn into a drag queen?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2014, 01:02:03 AM »

A tremendous showing for Mr. Carson, my new favorite GOP candidate.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2014, 05:00:57 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2014, 05:10:13 AM »

Walker gained ground without even showing up.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »

Christie's increase was a negligible 1%.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2014, 08:45:46 PM »

Politico's CPAC winners and losers:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/cpac-2014-the-final-scorecard-104454.html?hp=f3

Winners: Perry, Christie, Santorum, Walker (despite not showing up)
Losers: Cruz, Rubio, Ryan, Trump

I'd add Huckabee as a loser.  He's leading the national polls, but gets no buzz at CPAC, and only manages 2% in the straw poll.  Yeah, the straw poll means next to nothing, but it is indicative of the fact that he's not really on people's radar screens as a presidential contender (again, despite actually leading in the polls).  It's not really his type of crowd, but it's not Santorum's type of crowd either, and he did OK....

Carson should also be included as a winner.
hopper
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »

Rubio really took a hit from endorsing Immigration Reform in 2013 in the straw polls results 2013 vs 2014.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/cpac-2014-the-final-scorecard-104454.html?hp=f3

I'd add Huckabee as a loser.  He's leading the national polls, but gets no buzz at CPAC, and only manages 2% in the straw poll.  Yeah, the straw poll means next to nothing, but it is indicative of the fact that he's not really on people's radar screens as a presidential contender (again, despite actually leading in the polls).  It's not really his type of crowd, but it's not Santorum's type of crowd either, and he did OK....

Paul should also be included as a winner.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2014, 01:42:44 AM »

So, Paul wins but you doesn't mentiom him?Huh?
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »

I want to like Rand Paul, not quite sure I am there yet, but I am interested.

Rubio is clearly at the end of his 15 minutes of fame.

Cruz is, well, scary actually.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »

This.

I am disgusted by the media's treatment of Rand Paul.  Just like his father he is rarely treated as a serious candidate.  Ron Paul would do well in polls and FOX News would pretend he didn't exist.  And when they did recognize his existence it was just to inform their viewers that he couldn't win.

And all the attention that should be going to Rand is going to Ted Cruz, pathetic.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »

This.

I am disgusted by the media's treatment of Rand Paul.  Just like his father he is rarely treated as a serious candidate.  Ron Paul would do well in polls and FOX News would pretend he didn't exist.  And when they did recognize his existence it was just to inform their viewers that he couldn't win.

And all the attention that should be going to Rand is going to Ted Cruz, pathetic.

Rand has really hit the "I can bring young people in" note harder than his dad, so I expect FOX and establishment donors to be more favorable to him than they were to Ron.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »

I went for Santorum as I did in 2012. Carson showing surprising, but his position on guns will turn off the bulk of conservatives
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »

I went for Santorum as I did in 2012. Carson showing surprising, but his position on guns will turn off the bulk of conservatives

I could never vote for Carson in a primary because of his 10% flat tax proposal. I am additionally apprehensive of him for defending it by invoking the tithing rules in Levitical Law. We are not living in Israel and our country is not bound by the Covenant in so, so many ways, that it's ridiculous to start arbitrarily invoking Old Testament passages from Leviticus as ways to run the economy. I mean, is he going to propose the Jubilee next? We need to be evaluating fiscal decisions on their merits in line with detailed analyses of their economic merits, and do so in line with moral principles derived from God and communicated from the Bible, but not by selecting arbitrary passages from Levitical Law. Christians aren't even bound by Levitical Law, much less the US government. God is great, but never dance in a small boat. Give everything to God and trust in him, but still look both ways before you cross the street. He gave us brains to use them; and from what I've seen from Ben Carson so far, he's much better at using his to cut peoples' open than to formulate economic proposals.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies