Saint Valentine's Day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:03:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Saint Valentine's Day
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Saint Valentine's Day  (Read 1495 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »

Spent it with Mary Jane.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »

Valentine's Day is a myth perpetrated by Obama and his corporate overlords to make us buy candy and flowers instead of talking about what's really important: True Leftist Values
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »

I just want to go back in time and kick whoever created this holiday right between the legs.

St. Valentine, from what I remember from a picture book I was given after my First Communion, was a pretty good guy.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »

I just want to go back in time and kick whoever created this holiday right between the legs.

St. Valentine, from what I remember from a picture book I was given after my First Communion, was a pretty good guy.

Say what you will about Saint Valentine, you probably won't be able to change my mind. The holiday is just basically one big "F*** YOU!".
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49:38 PM »

I bought myself some discounted Valentine's chocolates for my birthday today.

I'm surprised they were still in the store.  Normally those discounted holiday chocolates only last a day or two before being snapped up.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 12:21:51 AM »

Say what you will about Saint Valentine, you probably won't be able to change my mind. The holiday is just basically one big "F*** YOU!".

I don't like Valentine's Day, myself. Never did.. especially when I was younger and single. I recall being a young awkward little squirt and the feeling of fear and loathing whenever Valentine's Day rolled around. I never had the courage to give anything to my crushes and was terrified of being made to look like an idiot. Plus I couldn't stand the fake lovey dovey behaviour of my classmates pairing off in stereotypical ways.

I learned to justify this hatred of Valentine's Day (which only resulted from my own self-inflicted social retardation and poor self-esteem) by taking aim at the fakeness of it all. It was a marketing ploy to force people into buying things for each other and forcing romance. And if I did have a girlfriend, well, I'd have the excruciating experience of having to find a good enough gift, scared that she might hate it. Seriously, now. Chocolate? Flowers? That's not going to impress anyone. I'll look like I don't even care. And what about a romantic date? No ideas. For the awkward guy, Valentine's Day is torture.

And you know what? If I gave my girlfriend flowers or chocolates or a stuffed animal or the flu or ANYTHING on ANY day that wasn't Valentine's Day, it would be a fun surprise that ends up being more special because I didn't buy it out of obligation to please this silly tradition.

So yeah, I didn't like Valentine's Day. My current partner did but over the years I seemed to have talked her out of it. We don't do anything for Valentine's Day. We do things because we love each every day of the year and want that to be reflected in all of the things we do for one another. Isn't that just so sweet? Doesn't it make you want to knit?

It must be a product of having a partner and therefore of not feeling like you need to give a damn to impress anyone attractive anymore besides one person, but now when I read anti-Valentine's Day stuff around that same sentiment I held (and do hold still) seems really quite sad. I think it's because for the socially awkward guy, when we let society tell us that we need to be doing and feeling X and Y because it's That Day, we give That Day so much more power than it obviously deserves because it's a rather silly waste of everyone's time. Valentine's Day conjures up so many ideas and thoughts and feelings and memories because we've been convinced it's special and its traditions should be celebrated. So it turns out that we are the fools because we're giving so much attention to day we all agree is a complete farce. It's much healthier to learn to smile and roll your eyes. So, when I read posts like yours, this entire diatribe could have been summarized as Smiley Roll Eyes
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 12:54:13 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2014, 01:07:56 AM by The Arizonan »

I didn't get any presents or anything for Christmas last year, but at least I got a day off, no, three days off, out of it.

Valentine's Day is just utterly useless. I've found a bunch of reasons for hating it, like not receiving jack diddly squat for said holiday. When I was on my first deployment and we crossed the international dateline when we got back to the United States, guess which day we crossed the international dateline? It was Valentine's Day.

And I can't believe that Valentine's Day has infected your country, Tik. Are there any nations that are free from its lunacy?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 01:11:34 AM »

Why in the hell would a single person hate Valentines day?  It's people with SO's that should be hating the stupid day.  Especailly dudes with chicks that expect a LOT on the day.  Your only reason so far for hating it is that you didn't get anything and you didn't get a day off.  Why would you expect a day off?  Nobody else gets a day off.  You'd rather sit at home all day and think about how lonely you are?  Yeah, you didn't get anything, but you didn't have to wait inline with the other dudes to spend way too much money on overpriced roses either.

I understand that it reminds you that you're single, but if you're this bitter and single minded in real life as you are here I think I know why you are single.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 01:13:54 AM »

Valentine's Day isn't a big deal here, although it's a deal. The whole thing is very American. It's like Halloween.. yeah, it exists, but it's not a big deal.

I'm from Ohio by the way.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 03:25:15 AM »

Why in the hell would a single person hate Valentines day?  It's people with SO's that should be hating the stupid day.  Especailly dudes with chicks that expect a LOT on the day.  Your only reason so far for hating it is that you didn't get anything and you didn't get a day off.  Why would you expect a day off?  Nobody else gets a day off.  You'd rather sit at home all day and think about how lonely you are?  Yeah, you didn't get anything, but you didn't have to wait inline with the other dudes to spend way too much money on overpriced roses either.

I understand that it reminds you that you're single, but if you're this bitter and single minded in real life as you are here I think I know why you are single.

Uh, did you actually read my post?

I have reasons for hating the holiday aside from not getting anything and not getting a day off. The holiday is such a huge slap to the face and it always seems to fall on a weekday, a work day or a duty day. The last time it fell on a day when I didn't have work, duty, or class was 2008 or 2009.

I can remember the exact date during my 2011-2012 deployment that we crossed the international dateline when we were heading back to the States after deployment because it was the fourteenth, meaning that I had to live the same day twice that year in 2012.

You point out how the silver lining in all of this is that I don't have to pay for overpriced roses (or anything like that). I think I'd prefer to buy some overpriced roses over the predicament that I'm in.

The ironic thing is that I used to like the holiday in elementary school mostly because it was an excuse to eat candy in class.

I think I might cut the Roman Saint Valentine some slack, but the companies that promote the everloving s*** out this holiday should be shot.

Life is so frustrating (especially when the Navy and your chain of command screws you over but it's a rant for another time).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 04:02:47 PM »

Uh, did you actually read my post?

I have reasons for hating the holiday aside from not getting anything and not getting a day off. The holiday is such a huge slap to the face and it always seems to fall on a weekday, a work day or a duty day. The last time it fell on a day when I didn't have work, duty, or class was 2008 or 2009.

I can remember the exact date during my 2011-2012 deployment that we crossed the international dateline when we were heading back to the States after deployment because it was the fourteenth, meaning that I had to live the same day twice that year in 2012.

You point out how the silver lining in all of this is that I don't have to pay for overpriced roses (or anything like that). I think I'd prefer to buy some overpriced roses over the predicament that I'm in.

The ironic thing is that I used to like the holiday in elementary school mostly because it was an excuse to eat candy in class.

I think I might cut the Roman Saint Valentine some slack, but the companies that promote the everloving s*** out this holiday should be shot.

Life is so frustrating (especially when the Navy and your chain of command screws you over but it's a rant for another time).

That could be the problem.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 07:59:32 AM »

tl;dr:

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied