Cuomo versus Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:14:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cuomo versus Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Cuomo versus Bush
Andrew Cuomo
Jeb Bush
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Cuomo versus Bush  (Read 2261 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
« edited: February 08, 2014, 12:32:27 PM by Starwatcher »

Cuomo versus Bush... who wins?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »

Is this asking who we'd vote for, or who would win?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »

Who would win.
bluedogsam
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:33:30 AM »

i think Bush would win
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »

I think it'd be close to 50/50 depending on the national environment, and the strength of the campaigns.

Half the time, I would still expect Bush to swing Florida, Colorado, Virginia, Iowa and Ohio, leaving him with 281 electoral votes.

Jeb probably wouldn't mind running against Cuomo. Jeb would be very happy to run against a middle-aged white guy whose father was a prominent politician. Jeb's been married for 40 years, a welcome contrast to Cuomo, who has a live-in girlfriend.

Still, the Bush name carries more national baggage than the Cuomo name.

Cuomo has a slightly more impressive resume, although that won't make a tremendous difference.

Jeb's last General Election campaign was in 2002, so he may be rusty, although he would presumably need to be a good candidate to win a competitive primary.

Cuomo has essentially avoided competitive elections after losing the 2002 gubernatorial primary, so he might also make some mistakes. He's not the best-positioned to run on Obama's accomplishments if the President is popular, nor would he have a particularly strong message if Democrats are unpopular.

Cuomo has a fairly obvious running mate in Amy Klobuchar, since he would benefit from a female legislator, and she would be a good surrogate in the Midwest. But I wouldn't expect running mates to make much of a difference, barring some kind of scandal.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »

Bush. Cuomo is not dissimilar enough from Bush to drive out the liberal base.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »

I actually think Cuomo is near-unbeatable in the general election. Any Republican will likely have to work to appease the Tea Party, even a mainstream candidate like Bush. Cuomo is centrist enough, and has spent so much time battling the far left in his state that he has moderate bona fides. A lot of centrists and moderate Republicans will feel comfortable voting for him if Bush or any other GOP candidate has to pander to the far-right.

Cuomo is essentially the Huntsman of the Democrats - incredibly strong in the general, incredibly weak in the primary.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »

Bush. Cuomo is not dissimilar enough from Bush to drive out the liberal base.
I would imagine that Bush's last name will help Cuomo with base voters.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »

I just can not invision another Bush being elected.
Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »

Cuomo, but my guess it'll be a close race.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »

Cuomo's a fairly uncontroversial guy.  In fact, most of the dislike for him comes from the left.  That might hurt Democratic turnout somewhat, but I think he could narrowly prevail thanks to Independents.

I think Cuomo could do substantially well if social issues became important in the election just because the country has become so disinterested in social conservative causes.  (This would be unlikely, of course, because those are usually seen as distractions from the hot button issues.)  If I were Jeb, I'd want to dodge those questions as best I could.  This ain't 2004 anymore.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 11:34:14 PM »

I actually think Cuomo is near-unbeatable in the general election. Any Republican will likely have to work to appease the Tea Party, even a mainstream candidate like Bush. Cuomo is centrist enough, and has spent so much time battling the far left in his state that he has moderate bona fides. A lot of centrists and moderate Republicans will feel comfortable voting for him if Bush or any other GOP candidate has to pander to the far-right.

Cuomo is essentially the Huntsman of the Democrats - incredibly strong in the general, incredibly weak in the primary.

I don't really think that's true. Many Democrats like Huntsman because a rational, moderateish Republican is such a rarity these days.

On the other hand, Republicans couldn't care less how moderate a Democrat is. They hate Cuomo just because he has a (D) next to his name. Just look at all the ultra conservative Southern Democrats they regularly tar and feather as "libruls".
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »

I think Jeb Bush would slightly defeat Cuomo 272-266 EV. Bush selects New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte to appease to conservatives, while Cuomo selects Virginia Senator Tim Kaine to attract Latino voters and have more "working class roots" and a Southern feel to the ticket. Democrats may not feel energized by a Cuomo ticket.
Florida Governor Jeb Bush/New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte-272 EV
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo/Virginia Senator Tim Kaine-266 EV
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »

I think Jeb Bush would slightly defeat Cuomo 272-266 EV. Bush selects New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte to appease to conservatives, while Cuomo selects Virginia Senator Tim Kaine to attract Latino voters and have more "working class roots" and a Southern feel to the ticket. Democrats may not feel energized by a Cuomo ticket.
Florida Governor Jeb Bush/New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte-272 EV
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo/Virginia Senator Tim Kaine-266 EV

Nothing says Latino appeal like a generic and uncharismatic white Senator from Virginia.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »

Bush/Bush
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »

Bush wins easily. Cuomo is an extremely weak candidate.
pendragon
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »

Bush. Cuomo's association with corruption won't fly anywhere outside the Northeast, and neither will his gun-grabbing. He's probably a weaker GE candidate than Warren, actually.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 01:07:33 AM »

Here Lies Cuomo 2016

9/9/14
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 01:58:40 AM »

Assuming both have equally bland running mates:

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »

A third party candidate.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

This is like if we were having an election to decide our favorite ice cream flavor and it was between chicken liver and flaming garbage. 

What's the point of asking these dumb hypotheticals?  Just trying to bum people out?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »

This is like if we were having an election to decide our favorite ice cream flavor and it was between chicken liver and flaming garbage. 

What's the point of asking these dumb hypotheticals?  Just trying to bum people out?

The point of asking these hypotheticals is because there's a possibility that these two could be the nominees of their party. I won't be surprised if Hillary doesn't run, or if Jeb doesn't run. Yes, a viable third party should emerge if there is a 2016 Cuomo vs. Bush election.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »

Very uninspiring candidates on both sides, but I don't see Bush cracking through much further than this. I really do think his name will hurt him significantly, and as much as we progressives dislike Cuomo, he has potential to attract moderates and independents.

276 / 262

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »

The point of asking these hypotheticals is because there's a possibility that these two could be the nominees of their party. I won't be surprised if Hillary doesn't run, or if Jeb doesn't run. Yes, a viable third party should emerge if there is a 2016 Cuomo vs. Bush election.

Andrew Cuomo is not a Presidential contender.  It's not happening.  On paper, sure.  In reality, no.  It's not going to happen, anyone with an understanding of the Democratic nomination process and who Andrew Cuomo is could tell you that.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »

Independent candidacy of Rand Paul/Shenna Bellows blows them both out of the water, wins all fifty states.

Then I wake up from the dream.

Jeb Bush could probably beat Andrew Cuomo, but both would be deeply unpopular with the electorate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies