Which of these three songs best represents the 90s? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:54:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which of these three songs best represents the 90s? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these three songs best represents the 90s?
Song 1

Song 2

Song 3

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Which of these three songs best represents the 90s?  (Read 4963 times)
Franknburger
Germany

« on: February 11, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »

I tended to see the 90s as a rather boring period - not much new, mostly 80s trends continuing. However, all the posters here have reminded me that a number of really great songs came out in that decade.

I think, a bit more internationality is appropriate:

Germany
*)
UK (yeah, it already has been mentioned)
Sweden
Latin*)
Down under

Personally I'd go for this one. It represents a major 1990s trend, namely female singing/ song-writing, As #3 is in the same tradition (and a pretty good example of it), I voted for it.

For those curious, here two of my German language favourites - still very popular here, though probably unknown to most outside the German-speaking world:
- Local heroes
- Political anthem

*) Don't have them on CD, for good reason, but they are nevertheless quite typical for certain periods of the 90s.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »

Hip-hop and techno have definitely been novelties, and shaped the music of the 90s (especially the early 90s). IMO, they should have been included in the poll.
Alternative rock (or however you want to label what the Smashing Pumpkins are doing), OTOH, has already been around in the 1980s. Deserves a footnote, but representing the 90s?
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »

That was popular for only about a year and not representative of any style of the 90s. It's just that its popular was quite intense and seeping into pop culture for awhile.
Oh, there was this gem as well. In general, Latin American music became quite popular during the 90s, though I don't think it is most representative for that period.

If we're going to remember the late 90s, we also have to remember early post-grunge, as much as people want to forget about it (Creed anyone? Tongue).

Lastly, if we're going to cover alt rock, the lack of this is rather blatant.
Nu metal > post-grunge in terms of late 90's significance.

Both genres should be killed with fire, btw.
Instead of atl rock, I would rather include Radiohead with Brit Pop. Definitely made its way into Germany, and is actually quite representative for the mid / late 90s here. For the US, I don't know, though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies