Richest and Poorest TV Shows
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:06:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Richest and Poorest TV Shows
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Richest and Poorest TV Shows  (Read 814 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:57:36 PM »

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:21 AM »

I don't watch much network TV at all now, since almost everything I enjoyed has been canceled and I haven't had much reason or time to pick up new shows, but I've always tended toward rich-people tastes (with the exception of Bob's Burgers).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:24:13 AM »

Bob's Burgers really sticks out there on the "poor" list.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:36:35 AM »

Is this median household income?  Because if so, then it's going to lump together young single people just out of college with legitimately "poor" people.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »

Is this median household income?  Because if so, then it's going to lump together young single people just out of college with legitimately "poor" people.

Yeah, the presence of Family Guy and The Simpsons at the bottom and 60 Minutes at the top basically confirms the age effect that's going on here.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 01:52:31 AM »

Apparently my two favorite sitcoms are the two richest ones. Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 03:24:22 AM »

All of those income numbers seem way inflated and have to be calculated in a weird way, like assuming that every person who watches the show is married or something. There is no way the median Glee fan has a median income of $70k, or even $35k for that matter. Unless it's just counting teenage girls off their parents' income, which is kind of stupid.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »

All of those income numbers seem way inflated and have to be calculated in a weird way, like assuming that every person who watches the show is married or something. There is no way the median Glee fan has a median income of $70k, or even $35k for that matter. Unless it's just counting teenage girls off their parents' income, which is kind of stupid.

Well, from a marketing and consumer research point of view, it makes a lot more sense to do it that way. Generally speaking, households have access to the collective incomes of all members (unless you're dealing with college roommates or something).

A teenage girl may individually have zero income or a few thousand dollars a year from a minimum wage part-time job, but it's far more relevant to know if her parents are making $40K a year or $400K a year, since that's what is really determining the bulk of her consumption habits.

Likewise, a 40 year old married schoolteacher making $40K a year whose husband is a surgeon is going to have different consumption habits than a 40 year old single schoolteacher making $40K a year.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 12:49:11 PM »

Television viewers are a lot older than you think, and young people don't make a sufficient proportion of the viewing audience to skew numbers. The median age of a viewer of even The CW is 42; obviously the other networks skew older than that.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »

Television viewers are a lot older than you think, and young people don't make a sufficient proportion of the viewing audience to skew numbers. The median age of a viewer of even The CW is 42; obviously the other networks skew older than that.

Xahar here is correct to some extent. And the way that networks determine cancelations/renewals of shows is massively outdated. The problem is the networks get most of their money through adds run during the shows so it helps with the number of viewers in the targeted demographics. This comes into problem because can be canceled by having high viewing numbers outside the demographic or that most people now DVR shows or watch them illegally streaming online.

I would be in full support about having the TV networks being able to track what everyone watches, not just  Nielson boxes, but then that would be an "invasion of privacy" even though it would give true viewing numbers.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 11:57:01 PM »

Yeah, the presence of Family Guy and The Simpsons at the bottom and 60 Minutes at the top basically confirms the age effect that's going on here.
Except CSI, Criminal Minds and Dateline are on the "poor" list.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 01:09:02 AM »

Except CSI, Criminal Minds and Dateline are on the "poor" list.

That's what I mean by saying it would lump both groups together into one category.  Young single people from upper middle class backgrounds might not have high earnings *yet*, but they eventually will.  But since "household income" is a snapshot, it'll count those people as being more "poor", and lump their shows together with those of the legitimately poor.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 05:07:55 AM »

Where's Big Bang Theory?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »

Median is the middle point of a listing... so basically half the people above that and half the people below that have that income.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »

Looks like both classes of people suck at picking TV shows. Tongue
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 05:57:07 AM »

The poorest show is 48k. 48k isn't even poor. If that's household, that's dead average. If it's a single person, that's quite a well off person.

These numbers are just wrong.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »

I don't watch much network TV at all now, since almost everything I enjoyed has been canceled and I haven't had much reason or time to pick up new shows, but I've always tended toward rich-people tastes (with the exception of Bob's Burgers).
apparently my tastes skew 'poor'
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »

Interesting Beet.  I guess I have a taste for the poorest shows:  I regularly watch four of the five poorest ones.  I'm not even familiar with any of the top five richest ones.  You have to go down to #6 on that list to find one that I've even heard of.  What does it mean anyway? 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies