Is National Popular Vote Interstate Compact Constitutional for electing POTUS? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:05:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Is National Popular Vote Interstate Compact Constitutional for electing POTUS? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is National Popular Vote Interstate Compact Constitutional for electing POTUS?  (Read 19162 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: November 17, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »

I suspect there are limits on how a state might allocate its EVs. Could a state allocate its EVs
It's not impossible if you read my post. Suppose IL wanted to award its EVs to the winner of the MO presidential vote. Would that be constitutional? It's not clear to me that SCOTUS would permit that since it is an assignment of IL electors unrelated to the vote taken in IL. It's certainly the case that the IL winner may not be the MO winner.
I think this be a violation of the 14th Amendment.  There is not a right to a popular vote for presidential electors, but once a State decides to hold a popular election for presidential electors it becomes subject to the 14th Amendment.

Does at-large election of presidential electors violate both the 14th Amendment and the VRA?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies