anyone here think gun control is predicated upon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:23:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  anyone here think gun control is predicated upon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: anyone here think gun control is predicated upon  (Read 856 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »

thinking guns are tacky? As an FYI, this is psychological projection. I had initially been supportive of 2A rights but as I got older I realized that most gun users are tacky and felt like gun control was something I could get behind.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:49:12 PM »

I wouldn't use the word tacky, but yeah if you don't view guns as a useful tool, you'll be much more likely to support gun control. OTOH I have no use for them and still oppose most gun control measures Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »

thinking guns are tacky? As an FYI, this is psychological projection. I had initially been supportive of 2A rights but as I got older I realized that most gun users are tacky and felt like gun control was something I could get behind.

"tacky"?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »

It's predicated on the fact that firearms are extremely dangerous.  Most items that are inherently dangerous to human life are regulated way more stringently, like pharmaceuticals, automobiles, toxic chemicals, explosives, etc.  

I see the cognitive bias more on the side of gun nuts who want the feeling of physical power from a gun and are indifferent to the risks to human life.  That's why the young male people on this site are so pro-gun.  Young people don't realize they are mortal and young men are hungry for a sense of power.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »

You should probably rethink the way you decide your political decisions...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »

It's predicated on the fact that firearmsmarket liberalism is extremely dangerous.  Most items that are inherently dangerous to human life are regulated way more stringently, like pharmaceuticals, automobiles, toxic chemicals, explosives, etc.  

I see the cognitive bias more on the side of gunneo-liberal nuts who want the feeling of physical power from a guntax cuts and deregulation and are indifferent to the risks to human life.  That's why the young male people on this site are so pro-gunanti-worker.  Young people don't realize they are mortal and young men are hungry for a sense of power.

Fascinating

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »

I think the Second-Amendment-worshipers tend to be paranoid and hot-headed, but whatever.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »

It's predicated on the fact that firearmsmarket liberalism is extremely dangerous.  Most items that are inherently dangerous to human life are regulated way more stringently, like pharmaceuticals, automobiles, toxic chemicals, explosives, etc.  

I see the cognitive bias more on the side of gunneo-liberal nuts who want the feeling of physical power from a guntax cuts and deregulation and are indifferent to the risks to human life.  That's why the young male people on this site are so pro-gunanti-worker.  Young people don't realize they are mortal and young men are hungry for a sense of power.

Fascinating

That's probably true as well, although I find this forum more disproportionately pro-gun than anti-worker, given the general ideology.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:00:35 AM »

I don't have a problem with handguns and rifles, or decent control measures.

I just hate the whole debate and every argument from both sides. So much misinformation, even more than other political debates.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:27:13 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2014, 01:33:41 AM by The sidewalk cracks this way »

Fundamentally I don't have a problem with guns being legal or owned by private citizens. Sure they should be regulated (as they already are) and perhaps more regulations are needed but it should be smart and logical ones, not stupid laws like the ones pushed by the Brady Campaign and Carolyn McCarthy which really don't affect anything, or the badly written ones adopted by California which amongst other things bans the sale of certain models of firearms that don't even exist.

What I can't stand though is the general attitude of most gun owners, or at least the ones who really care about it as a political issue. "RAR RAR DEFEND MAH FREEDOMS!" "BIG GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE MY GUNS AWAY!" "MUST CARRY GUN EVERYWHERE, DEFEND MAH FAMILY!" I read about an organized boycott of malls that don't allow concealed carry inside from permit holders with idiot gun nuts raving about law abiding citizens not being able to defend their families...yeah in a f[inks]ing mall. Ugh. Most of them are so paranoid, absurd and downright idiotic dumbasses that I have no sympathy for them and don't care about their rights. Just a bunch of lunatic paranoid rednecks.

So in a nutshell, I don't hate guns, I hate gun owners. But gun owners are such f[inks]ing trash, they are SOOOOOOO bad.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:01:51 PM »

Probably more unnecessary (and will do far more harm than good, especially in the wrong hands) than tacky, surely with certain types of guns.

American flag pins on the lapel are tacky. Really tacky. And general nationalistic attire is god-awful far worse than tacky.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies