The Washington Post polls Catholics on various issues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:28:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Washington Post polls Catholics on various issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Washington Post polls Catholics on various issues  (Read 1564 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2014, 08:21:28 PM by Mardi Gras Miles »

Article.

They polled Catholics in 12 counties: Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Congo, Colombia, Spain, France, Italy, Philippines, Poland, Uganda, USA.

Pope Francis Approval

Excellent- 41%
Good- 46%
Mediocre- 5%
Poor- 1%

Should priests be able to get married?

Yes- 50%
No- 47%

Should women be allowed to become priests?

Yes- 45%
No- 51%

Abortion

Allowed in all cases- 9%
Some cases- 57%
Not allowed- 33%

Should gay marriage be legal?

No- 66%
Yes- 30%

A majority of American and Spanish Catholics support SSM though. The article has other regional breakdowns.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »

It seems like its African and South American countries that are holding some of these what you'd call "duh" answers back. Not surprising though. For example, for the women catholic priests questions: No/Yes

France: 14/83
Spain: 17/78
Italy: 35/59

Congo: 79/18
Uganda: 81/17
Mexico: 63/35
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »

I'm against women being priests Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »

I wish they had a breakdown by mass attendance, but otherwise I can't complain. A very informative report.

It seems like its African and South American countries that are holding some of these what you'd call "duh" answers back. Not surprising though.

OTOH the Western non-attendee are probably boosting degenerate enlightened scores. I really doubt the median American or French self-described Catholic attends mass beyond Christmas & Easter for example.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »

Well, I was just using one example to demonstrate the general pattern.  Maybe a better example would be contraceptives or divorce. Although Latin America is pretty supportive of this, really only Africa and the Philippines to a smaller extent are divided. On another note I'm surprised that Europe is less supportive than us on same-sex marriage.

It seems like its African and South American countries that are holding some of these what you'd call "duh" answers back. Not surprising though.

OTOH the Western non-attendee are probably boosting degenerate enlightened scores. I really doubt the median American or French self-described Catholic attends mass beyond Christmas & Easter for example.

That's a good point too, which makes Europe and the US more independent of the church. Not too surprising.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:32:17 AM »

I hope a woman can be a priest one day Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2014, 11:58:21 AM by The sidewalk cracks this way »

I wish they had a breakdown by mass attendance, but otherwise I can't complain. A very informative report.

That's probably true in France, but in America? In America people who don't practice actually leave the church. 33% of Americans raised Catholic have. I'm sure the median American Catholic goes to mass more than twice a year (though no doubt not weekly.)

I hope a woman can be a priest one day Tongue

They already can...in other churches like the Episcopal Church. If you want to have women be able to be priests then all you have to do is convert.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:58:59 PM »

Surprised to see plurality opposition to gay marriage in Argentina and Brazil, considering how it's legal in both countries. Not surprised that American Catholics support gay marriage 54-40, though.

Also, happy to see my own assertions about what [American] Catholics actually think about contraception proven correct.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »

France isn't too surprising, given that there are fairly few liberal Catholics in the country. Argentina and Brazil's results are probably shifting towards Yes, as are Mexico's and Colombia's (the latter has civil unions while the former recognizes same-sex marriages nationwide but only performs them in a few states).

The European results are interesting. In France/Italy I presume many social liberals left the church, while in Spain they've stayed.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »

That's probably true in France, but in America? In America people who don't practice actually leave the church. 33% of Americans raised Catholic have. I'm sure the median American Catholic goes to mass more than twice a year (though no doubt not weekly.)

Yeah... Come to think of it, it's more of a generational thing, but I'm sure we've talked about that before Tongue

The European results are interesting. In France/Italy I presume many social liberals left the church, while in Spain they've stayed.

With the exception of gay marriage, France is more socially liberal than Spain.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »

That's the stereotype, but in general cultural attitudes France actually strikes me as one of the more culturally conservative/traditionalist countries in Western Europe.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »

That's the stereotype, but in general cultural attitudes France actually strikes me as one of the more culturally conservative/traditionalist countries in Western Europe.

Not according to the polling. France has the lowest opposition to contraception, highest acceptance of abortion etc. Or do you mean that the practising Catholics are more traditional?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »

The latter, sure. France has incredibly low church attendance rates even by Western European standards.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies