NFL draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay--UPDATE: signed by Dallas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:51:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NFL draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay--UPDATE: signed by Dallas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: NFL draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay--UPDATE: signed by Dallas?  (Read 7773 times)
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2014, 07:32:56 PM »

is that the first gay kiss broadcast on ESPN? And an interracial one too! They hit the exacta for men to freak out

LOL! Most likely! Tongue Congratulations Michael Sam!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »

Reading the Youtube comments on this, it seems the main objection among conservatives is that they have to explain to their children that gay people exist.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »

Good for him.

I remember, when I was four and I saw two guys kissing, that I thought it was weird. It never really occurred to me that being gay was a thing - I just thought that guys were hardwired to like girls and girls were hardwired to like guys. If there was a world where this wouldn't be out of the ordinary, where everyone was tolerant, then the world would be a better place.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »

Good for Sam. I hope he's motivated to kick ass in the league.

As to that kiss. . . well, I bet you a lot of peoples' heads exploded when they saw a same sex interracial couple making out - one of them a football player. Grin

A lot of sports forums are dens for FAR right social stuff ("Obummer" and "Odumbo" talk), at least in my experience, and I can only imagine the reactions to this on the ESPN boards when they got really, really bad after Obama's election in 2009 and 2010 and before ESPN shut them down. Some of those idiots probably blew a few blood vessels.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »

As to that kiss. . . well, I bet you a lot of peoples' heads exploded when they saw a same sex interracial couple making out - one of them a football player.
Grin

A lot of sports forums are dens for FAR right social stuff ("Obummer" and "Odumbo" talk), at least in my experience, and I can only imagine the reactions to this on the ESPN boards when they got really, really bad after Obama's election in 2009 and 2010 and before ESPN shut them down. Some of those idiots probably blew a few blood vessels.
It was a little uncomfortable with how much they kissed, regardless of orientation. They milked that shot more than any other one I've seen in all my years watching the NFL draft.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2014, 03:05:19 PM »

As to that kiss. . . well, I bet you a lot of peoples' heads exploded when they saw a same sex interracial couple making out - one of them a football player. Grin

Doesn't look like it this time. Looks like you'll have to find other ways to label an entire group of fans as bigots

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-pick-249-de-michael-sam.25846/

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »

Doesn't look like it this time. Looks like you'll have to find other ways to label an entire group of fans as bigots

People registered on forums are usually a bit more intelligent than the average American. Check the Youtube clips of this announcement for a more accurate example of fan reaction.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »

People registered on forums are usually a bit more intelligent than the average American. Check the Youtube clips of this announcement for a more accurate example of fan reaction.

Yet you cited a message board to prove your original point.....
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »

Yet you cited a message board to prove your original point.....

I don't consider Youtube comments a message board in the same sense as this forum or the one you linked to. I doubt most people would.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »

He should have spent more time in the gym- Slow and pretty weak for an NFL aspirant.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2014, 07:10:23 PM »

He should have spent more time in the gym- Slow and pretty weak for an NFL aspirant.
He's not going to be very good. I mean he got out performed at the combine by some punters and kickers.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2014, 07:37:29 PM by CTRattlesnake »

He's not going to be very good. I mean he got out performed at the combine by some punters and kickers.

Yeah a lot of scouts were not impressed with his play at the combine or during pro days. Put that on top of the possible 'baggage' both media and otherwise that he brings along and its not hard to see why he fell. At the end of the day, he just needs to be treated like any other football player, the media needs to stop creating news (both good and bad) surrounding him and just let the kid play.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »

Considering that Youtube is full of 12 year olds, I'm not sure that's necessarily a better representation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »

True. Jackie Robinson entered the league as one of if not the best player in the league. It's good that someone doesn't have to be a bona fide future Hall of Famer to break a barrier. But when Sam likely gets cut in a season or two tops, too many people are going to misinterpret this as having to "give unqualified gays aleg up in the name of political correctness".

I just wish he was a decent or downright good player in order to avoid this all too lkely outcome. Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »

He cried more than anyone I've ever seen. Jesus.

That's what I got out of it.......damn man, calm down.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »

Dolphins suspended CB Don Jones for negative tweets about the kiss.

Though I am pro-gay rights, I don't I agree with their action.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »

Good luck to the man, from what the NFL scouts are saying he probably will be out of the NFL within 3 years unless he works his ass off and is good enough. Would be nice if he succeeds but he needs to start watching is mouth. After he was interviewed he said he should have been in the third round at latest and that he was only drafted that late for coming out as gay.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »

Good luck to the man, from what the NFL scouts are saying he probably will be out of the NFL within 3 years unless he works his ass off and is good enough. Would be nice if he succeeds but he needs to start watching is mouth. After he was interviewed he said he should have been in the third round at latest and that he was only drafted that late for coming out as gay.

Yeah, if that's his attitude he's in for a rude awakening at training camp.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »

This is good but I have heard a rumor: this is all staged. I have heard that Michael Sam isn't really gay and this is all a trick played by him to get into the leagues. Now, I don't personally believe this, but this is a troubling rumor that Michael Sam and the NFL need to put to bed somehow.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »

This is good but I have heard a rumor: this is all staged. I have heard that Michael Sam isn't really gay and this is all a trick played by him to get into the leagues. Now, I don't personally believe this, but this is a troubling rumor that Michael Sam and the NFL need to put to bed somehow.
Taro Tsujimoto
Sidd Finch
Michael Sam

Tongue
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2014, 02:12:21 AM »

What is it with the Dolphins and bullying their NFL players? We just had the problem with Incognito and his racist attacks against an African American player and now this other guy only they're on different teams and it's homophobia and to a lesser extent, racism.

Hopefully, Michael Sam doesn't let this bigoted hate get to him and he can live his dream in the NFL! Congrats to him and wish him the best that his teammates accept him the same as the others did and he's going to need the same from the coach's if he's going to avoid being benched on account of possible personal hatred by any of the coaches. I don't normally watch a Browns game on TV unless it involves the Patriots, but if the Browns and Rams do ever face off, it would be nice if Manziel and Sam could both be on the field simultaneously. Wink
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »

What is it with the Dolphins and bullying their NFL players? We just had the problem with Incognito and his racist attacks against an African American player and now this other guy only they're on different teams and it's homophobia and to a lesser extent, racism.

Hopefully, Michael Sam doesn't let this bigoted hate get to him and he can live his dream in the NFL! Congrats to him and wish him the best that his teammates accept him the same as the others did and he's going to need the same from the coach's if he's going to avoid being benched on account of possible personal hatred by any of the coaches. I don't normally watch a Browns game on TV unless it involves the Patriots, but if the Browns and Rams do ever face off, it would be nice if Manziel and Sam could both be on the field simultaneously. Wink

If he's benched its because he's a mediocre player on a team with tremendous depth at the D line.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »

*bump*

Sam played for the Rams in the preseason, but has been cut from the team, and was not picked up for the practice squad:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/rams/2014/09/01/michael-sam-not-signed-to-st-louis-practice-squad/14935237/

Unclear whether he'll actually make it onto any team's roster now.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »

I personally blame ESPN for this (along with Manziel falling/Tebow not getting picked up). There are so many teams in the NFL who don't want the media circus around him, and now ESPN torpedoed a promising NFL career.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2014, 08:21:34 PM »

Fun fact: Michael Sam recorded 11 tackles and 3 sacks in the preseason. He is the only player who recorded 2.5 or more sacks who is not currently on an NFL roster or practice squad.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies