WA-2016: Murray seeking 5th term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:11:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-2016: Murray seeking 5th term
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA-2016: Murray seeking 5th term  (Read 529 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:37:20 PM »

No surprise that.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:04:52 AM »

I doubt she'll be challenged any more seriously than Cantwell was in 2012.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:42:59 AM »

Well, this might be potentially competitive. I have heard that Dave Reichert, a moderate republican representative, might seek this seat in 2016.
bluedogsam
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »

i would assume as of right now Patty Murray is a safe seat.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:15:11 AM »

Well, this might be potentially competitive. I have heard that Dave Reichert, a moderate republican representative, might seek this seat in 2016.

They already tried running a popular Republican Congressman against her in a Presidential year.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »

Dino Rossi is ready.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 09:20:37 AM »

They already tried running a popular Republican Congressman against her in a Presidential year.

Reichert is from King County though, so he'd probably do better than Nethercutt.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

Reichert is from King County though, so he'd probably do better than Nethercutt.

To qualify, it's a very small, working-class suburban/rural conservative-leaning corner of King County. The swingy suburbs were all drawn out of his district post-2010 and his district includes a lot of the central part of the state now. (He used to be my Congressman). I wouldn't be surprised if he ran, though, and he'd still do better than Nethercutt. If he vacates, his seat could be a D reach with the right conditions and candidate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »

I'm skeptical. He's always floated as a potential candidate but never pulls the trigger. Plus, Cantwell and Inslee would be more appealing targets than Murray anyway.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »

Reichert and Beutler will be talked up as candidates but try won't pull the trigger. And while Reichert may be from the King County suburbs, he's only in Congress because his new district dropped most of those suburbs and instead pick up rural parts of Pierce County.

If the GOP gets lucky, they'll run Rob McKenna or Reagan Dunn. They won't win, but they'll put up Rossi-like numbers.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:20 PM »

This is pretty safe D. Unless McKenna runs a spectacular (which wasn't the case in his Governors race, but he gave it a decent try) campaign, I can't see this being that close with anyone.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 03:24:58 PM »

Don't forget Republicans won't have many opportunities in 2016. Washington will be their third "opportunity", of course they won't win, but it will be a la Lundergan Grimes in Kentucky, she has been recruited because of a lack of opportunities.

Safe Dem, it won't be that. And don't forget Republicans are relatively strong locally: see Rossi and Mckenna's scores, the Pubs controlling the upper chamber.

Of course they won't win, like Lundergan won't win too (sorry Bandit Tongue), but I'm sure they will try, they have no choice after all.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »

Don't forget Republicans won't have many opportunities in 2016. Washington will be their third "opportunity", of course they won't win, but it will be a la Lundergan Grimes in Kentucky, she has been recruited because of a lack of opportunities.

Safe Dem, it won't be that. And don't forget Republicans are relatively strong locally: see Rossi and Mckenna's scores, the Pubs controlling the upper chamber.

Of course they won't win, like Lundergan won't win too (sorry Bandit Tongue), but I'm sure they will try, they have no choice after all.

Maybe when Murray has a toxic approval rating and starts trailing her potential challengers in polls, then you can compare it to KY 2014. Until then, they're nothing alike.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »

Maybe when Murray has a toxic approval rating and starts trailing her potential challengers in polls, then you can compare it to KY 2014. Until then, they're nothing alike.
Of course KY and WA are different. But I mean, if Lundergan was recruited, it was mainly because democrats have no targets except Georgia. And it will be the same thing for Republicans in 2016. I'm not saying Murray will lose, she will probably win, but Republicans won't concede this race, they have no other opportunities except potentially NV/CO
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »

The pubs will probably pick some random women from the legislature no one serious is going to give up their House seat to go up against a powerful incumbent like Murray.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies