the Illinois GOP Gov. debate tonite--made my decision.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:53:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  the Illinois GOP Gov. debate tonite--made my decision.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the Illinois GOP Gov. debate tonite--made my decision.  (Read 1005 times)
bluedogsam
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:16:44 PM »

tonite i listened to 3 of the candidates who showed up--Rauner didn't show up so he won't get my vote. the more i heard from Kirk Dillard the more i was impressed by him. the sex harrassment rumors about Rutherford was brought up--he denied it. Brady was ok but not enough for me to vote for him. Dillard has my vote next month.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »

Rauner didn't show up so he won't get my vote.

How much do you think this will actually hurt Rauner?
bluedogsam
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:52:02 AM »

according to the Chicago Tribune poll that i read this morning Rauner has a good lead in the polls so i am assuming it won't hurt him much but i am still going to vote for Dillard.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »

If Dillard wins the primary,  I expect him to win the general.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »

If Dillard wins the primary,  I expect him to win the general.

Dillard's campaign has been so under the radar and without money, so I have really high doubts of him being nominated.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2014, 03:45:42 PM by murraybannerman »

Not at all. Rauner has done a good job of promoting his views and policies. Not to mention, he had a 20 point lead on the next highest candidate, Brady, in the February 4th polls.

That said, it should help Dillard quite a bit.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 05:35:12 PM »

Brady about to go 0-2 in statewide elections.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »

Brady about to go 0-2 in statewide elections.

It's looking likely, but Rauner still has a decent chance at pulling off a primary win.

I'd say it Tilts Dillard, but Leans Quinn with everyone else. Hillary really wasn't kidding when she said Quinn was the luckiest politician alive. Hell, I might take it further and say he's the luckiest politician ever.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:23 PM »

In other words, Quinn has taken the Luckiest Politico mantle from Perry.

Both are deeply despised and unpopular, but lucky to win statewide elections.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »

Not at all. Rauner has done a good job of promoting his views and policies. Not to mention, he had a 20 point lead on the next highest candidate, Brady, in the February 4th polls.

That said, it should help Dillard quite a bit.

Rauner's strength has been ads that promote his views but not his policies. When he has ventured into policy he has sometimes been forced to walk back his remarks as in the mess he made over minimum wage. Some of the political reporters have commented on his skillful evasion of any substantive policy actions he would take if elected.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »

Giving my vote to Rutherford. We don't agree on everything, but I heard him speak in front of a crowd of Tea Partiers once (and then there was me Smiley ) and he wasn't afraid to talk about how the GOP needed to re-think their stance on social issues, no matter how little the crowd liked it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 11:31:29 AM »

Rutherford's position took a huge hit today. Two weeks ago in a big public announcement he stated would conduct an independent investigation and make public the report. Now he announced through his attorney that he will not release the completed report due to the lawsuit against him. It's hard to see how the primary voters will conclude anything but the worst from that change in position.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »

Rutherford's position took a huge hit today. Two weeks ago in a big public announcement he stated would conduct an independent investigation and make public the report. Now he announced through his attorney that he will not release the completed report due to the lawsuit against him. It's hard to see how the primary voters will conclude anything but the worst from that change in position.

What exactly is the investigation over? Misuse of funds?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »

It almost doesn't matter.  The fact Rutherford won't release it, given the political cost of not doing so, means that the stuff in the report was so bad that it was worth losing for him to try to cover it up (like with Romney not releasing his tax returns, we'll never know what was in there, but you can bet it was some pretty horrible stuff or he'd have just released them).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 07:31:23 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2014, 07:35:28 PM by muon2 »

Two weeks ago Rutherford tried to get ahead of an impending suit by a former employee. Rutherford placed blame for the timing on Rauner and announced that an independent investigator would produce a complete report to vindicate him. The suit was subsequently filed and alleges unwanted sexual advances and pressure to perform campaign work on state time. Now Rutherford has decided not to release the completed report.

It's the scandal for which you started the other thread.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies