Would you watch curling outside of the Olympics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:17:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Would you watch curling outside of the Olympics?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you watch curling outside of the Olympics?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Would you watch curling outside of the Olympics?  (Read 1058 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »

Wierdly, in Quebec, there is next to none. They didn't show any curling in the last two days. It's the hockey coverage which is annoying. We don't care about the Czech-Sweden match!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »

Wierdly, in Quebec, there is next to none. They didn't show any curling in the last two days. It's the hockey coverage which is annoying. We don't care about the Czech-Sweden match!

Curling's not big in Quebec. The Scotties were in Montreal last week, and attracted small crowds (didn't help that the Quebec team finished tied for last).  Last year, the event was just down the 401 in Kingston, and received nearly twice as many spectators. (39K to 60K). In 2012, it was in Red Deer, which attracted 95K.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »

Curling's not big in Quebec. The Scotties were in Montreal last week, and attracted small crowds (didn't help that the Quebec team finished tied for last).  Last year, the event was just down the 401 in Kingston, and received nearly twice as many spectators. (39K to 60K). In 2012, it was in Red Deer, which attracted 95K.

I know than curling is not popular here, but, it could change with effort. In my city, we have a brand new curling center and they are pushing it in schools.

But my city isn't representative (we hosted provincial championships this year and there was always a very active curling club). A year, the Val-d'Or women junior team won the regional chanpionship by default (they were the only team which was contesting).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »

I know than curling is not popular here, but, it could change with effort. In my city, we have a brand new curling center and they are pushing it in schools.

But my city isn't representative (we hosted provincial championships this year and there was always a very active curling club). A year, the Val-d'Or women junior team won the regional chanpionship by default (they were the only team which was contesting).

Maybe, but there may be a perception it is an Anglo Canadian sport. Funnily enough though, if Quebec were independent, it would still be a medal contender. Last time Quebec won the Brier, the team won the silver at the World championships.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »

95,000 spectators for a curling match is pretty amazing tbh. I doubt the Commonwealth games got 10,000 to the final of the lawn bowls in Melbourne.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »

95,000 spectators for a curling match is pretty amazing tbh. I doubt the Commonwealth games got 10,000 to the final of the lawn bowls in Melbourne.

LOL. No, we're talking total attendance for the whole event. Typically the Scotties finals will get 5,000 people, the Brier will get around 10,000. That may seem low, but the television numbers are large ( ~1 million+).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »

I'm not even watching it inside the Olympics.

Same with me.

I respect Olympic competitors highly, of course, but the whole proceedings just don't interest me that much; if I had to choose, though, I'd take the winter events over the summer. The bobsled is probably the only one that's interesting to me - I like to to watch that.

That's an interesting comment. I enjoy watching sports of all types, part of it is my physics curiosity to see how athletic activities interact with the science of motion and the equipment that's used. That said, I find bobsled and luge among the most difficult to watch. The differences in choice of line down the track are tiny as are the time differences that result. The networks don't do much of a job pointing out this level of the competition, but focus on the time comparisons. I don't find that of much help without the knowledge of the track.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »

I'm not even watching it inside the Olympics.

Same with me.

I respect Olympic competitors highly, of course, but the whole proceedings just don't interest me that much; if I had to choose, though, I'd take the winter events over the summer. The bobsled is probably the only one that's interesting to me - I like to to watch that.

That's an interesting comment. I enjoy watching sports of all types, part of it is my physics curiosity to see how athletic activities interact with the science of motion and the equipment that's used. That said, I find bobsled and luge among the most difficult to watch. The differences in choice of line down the track are tiny as are the time differences that result. The networks don't do much of a job pointing out this level of the competition, but focus on the time comparisons. I don't find that of much help without the knowledge of the track.

Yeah, and I can easily imagine that the bobsled is much harder than it looks since it's seconds and fractions of seconds on the tracks that end up deciding how one team does against the other teams, so yeah, you really have to have knowledge of the curves and the sled as well as the necessary reflexes.

I actually like a number of skiing events too, like the V-style jump, I think it's called, which takes into consideration a great deal about aerodynamics. Figure skating is great to have on in the background when working on something, but I don't go out of my way to watch any of them.

Here's something I was wondering that's only vaguely related. With some of the stuff like the extreme sports that guys do with the bikes - doing flips in air on the bikes, e.g, how in the world do you practice that and not get killed??!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 03:39:03 PM »

Good grief no.

Not outside the olympics, not inside the olympics.

B O R I N G!!!!!!!!!!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »

I just finished watching a few ends of Olympic curling as I usually do every four years. You have to like strategic thinking as opposed to direct action to appreciate the sport. There's a certain purity in watching the balance of speed and spin as the stones are thrown to accomplish the strategic goals.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies