Nevada's Repuplican Gov: State SSM ban 'no longer defensible in court' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:13:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nevada's Repuplican Gov: State SSM ban 'no longer defensible in court' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nevada's Repuplican Gov: State SSM ban 'no longer defensible in court'  (Read 3532 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: February 14, 2014, 01:04:03 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because I happen to believe marriage is a unique institution between one husband and one wife. And I don't believe that homosexuality should be celebrated. It is something I am ashamed of, not proud of. I want to be normal.

Get help.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:08:37 AM »

Because I happen to believe marriage is a unique institution between one husband and one wife. And I don't believe that homosexuality should be celebrated. It is something I am ashamed of, not proud of. I want to be normal.

Get help.

So anyone who doesn't agree with your worldview or doesn't embrace their homosexuality needs to "Get help?

Yeah.

Let's leave it at that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 01:16:35 AM »

Then I really think all that NO H8/Tolerance stuff should come with an asterisk, because you're not practicing it at all right now.

Alright.  Cool.

The only reason I haven't completely written you off as a troll yet is that there are people who think like you and gays who struggle with their sexuality.  I have plenty of pity for those people, so believe me, the last thing I am is intolerant.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 01:21:50 AM »

Heh.  I could post twenty paragraphs on what the Bible's "clobber passages" really mean, but that discussion's already been had here at least twenty times and I'd rather we not turn this into a religious debate.  But yes, CCSF, if you're being genuine and you feel your faith has become a roadblock to accepting yourself for who you are, I strongly recommend looking into open and affirming sects.  The Alliance of Baptists, ELCA Lutheran Church, and Religious Society of Friends are also worth exploring.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:16:23 AM »

Am I the only one not buying this?

Anyway it certainly is derailing the thread.

Like I said, I'm only trying to be semi-helpful because there are people in this country who think the way he does.  I'm done wasting my time, though.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:05:41 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2014, 03:18:44 AM by Temp. Speaker Scott »

Heh.  I could post twenty paragraphs on what the Bible's "clobber passages" really mean, but that discussion's already been had here at least twenty times and I'd rather we not turn this into a religious debate.  But yes, CCSF, if you're being genuine and you feel your faith has become a roadblock to accepting yourself for who you are, I strongly recommend looking into open and affirming sects.  The Alliance of Baptists, ELCA Lutheran Church, and Religious Society of Friends are also worth exploring.

Scott, all theology aside, I think this paragraph is a demonstration of the problems behind much of the thinking that often goes into liberal Christianity: you're essentially telling the man that if his religious beliefs run counter to his self-esteem, clearly it's his religious beliefs that are wrong rather than possibly that self-esteem is not the determining factor in morality.

Well, no.  Like I said, there is a number of things I find wrong with the conservative Christian perspective on this issue - both Biblical and philosophical.  I also don't think there's an inherent conflict between one's self and their religious beliefs, and as a humanist I believe that universal human dignity is the principal component of morality and Christian teachings.

But, I'm not here to use this thread as a soapbox for myself and my own religious views.  I should have been more clear on why I mentioned those sects.  I mentioned them because they are known to be most accepting of homosexuals - that is, they either treat you the same regardless of your sexual orientation, perform gay weddings, ordain gay clergy, etc., or, they omit human sexuality from their teachings but maintain the status quo on marriage and ordination.  Either way, they're different from the fire and brimstone teachings of many churches on homosexuality.

Even if CCSF wants to go through life ashamed, the least he can do for himself is associate with churches that will accept him and emphasize on the thing that's paramount to the Christian faith (love), rather than condemn him.  At the very least, I think he should consider it.  Additionally, I would invite CCSF to do his own research on the 'homosexuality vs. God' debate and form his own opinion.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:39:55 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2014, 11:45:43 PM by Temp. Speaker Scott »

I really do like TJ, but if your religious beliefs actually LEAD you to self-loathing and hatred... then it is something you need to reconsider.

There's a reason why the suicide rates among LGBT youth is 3x higher than the general population.

That's something I should have emphasized in my post.  Even from the standpoint of a Christian who's on the more conservative side of the spectrum, the fact that one makes misjudgments is not reason to have low self-esteem.  Heck, it was Martin Luther who said we should sin boldly...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »

I really do like TJ, but if your religious beliefs actually LEAD you to self-loathing and hatred... then it is something you need to reconsider.

There's a reason why the suicide rates among LGBT youth is 3x higher than the general population.

That's something I should have emphasized in my post.  Even from the standpoint of a Christian who's on the more conservative side of the spectrum, the fact that one makes misjudgments is not reason to have low self-esteem.  Heck, it was Martin Luther who said we should sin boldly...
I don't know how receptive TJ would be to a Martin Luther quote...

I know, but my point was that having low self-esteem really has nothing to do with it.  I would have used a better example if one came to mind.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies