SENATE BILL: Random Registration Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 12:10:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Random Registration Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Random Registration Amendment (Failed)  (Read 1581 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:40:41 AM »
« edited: February 23, 2014, 03:35:55 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Talleyrand
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:41:34 AM »

THe sponsor has 24 hours to begin advocating for this.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »

Not the sponsor, but this has my full and total support.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »

A bit confused with some of the wording, but regardless, I firmly believe each individual should be able to make their own decision on which region they reside in. I think this amendment would be extremely harmful to the game.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »

I have some concerns, but overall I think the benefits clearly outweigh any risks.  This bill has my support.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »

A bit confused with some of the wording, but regardless, I firmly believe each individual should be able to make their own decision on which region they reside in. I think this amendment would be extremely harmful to the game.

Indeed, part of the fun of Atlas is the regional diversity. The random #'s might turn this into a bland social liberal game.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »

Indeed, part of the fun of Atlas is the regional diversity. The random #'s might turn this into a bland social liberal game.

If you were paying any attention to recent events, you would realize the nationwide the divide between rightwingers and leftwingers is virtually even, and we've had a number of competitive nationwide elections over the last year. The same cannot be said of the 5 regions, with few exceptions.

For my advocacy, I would quote Supreme Court Justice Oakvale's initial proposal of this idea. I don't think I could be more eloquent or forthright in any statement of my own than he was in this post.

This has occurred to me a couple of times over the last few months as the consolidation debate raged on. It's clear that reducing the amount of regions is a touchy subject, and one that it's going to be very hard to find any agreement on.

Similarly, we all know that one of the major reasons we're considering consolidation in the first place is because of the drastically varying levels of activity between regions, something aggravated by strategic registration. Strategic registration isn't always malevolent - a left-wing member will naturally gravitate to the Pacific or Midwest while a right-winger will naturally gravitate towards the Mideast or Southeast. Then of course there's the other side, where parties strategically stack regions with an influx of new members to swing local elections.

This all creates an unhealthy balance in the game, where competition naturally declines as people register in the regions they feel most politically comfortable in.

It's because of that that I'm proposing a radical reform to our system of government, and what I think is a viable, and more manageable alternative to regional consolidation.

Random registration.

My idea is this - when a new member registers, the RG will randomly assign them to one of the five regions. This can be simply done with a random number generator. Current members would not be affected, and would maintain their registrations, but when a member moves region that would also be assigned randomly.

Any thoughts?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 07:36:02 PM »

I think this would confuse new players, while also encouraging current players to never move from their current region. This just seems like a bad idea overall.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »

I think this would confuse new players, while also encouraging current players to never move from their current region. This just seems like a bad idea overall.
Agreed. In a game that relies on individuals donating hours of their time, those individuals should have a decision in where they make the impact.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 09:31:57 PM »

Perhaps a more palatable idea on reflection may be to allow for temporary "registration stimulus", where new members are assigned to regions lacking in activity for a period.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:10:24 PM »

Perhaps a more palatable idea on reflection may be to allow for temporary "registration stimulus", where new members are assigned to regions lacking in activity for a period.

Presumably those assigned citizens would be a little PO'd to come from the South, but then be forcibly registered in the Pacific. If the policy were to have an expiration date, I feel like that could exacerbate the frustration.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »

I would strongly oppose this, it would essentially punish citizens for being new.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »

I would strongly oppose this, it would essentially punish citizens for being new.

You consider it "punishment" to be assigned to one of five regions as opposed to... another one of five regions?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »

You consider it "punishment" to be assigned to one of five regions as opposed to... another one of five regions?

I consider only taking the freedom to chose where to register away from new players to be penalizing them for being new.  Everyone should have the choice or no one should.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »

This is by far the clearest example of where various real life principles that people have tried to detach from having relevance in game, are in actuality very real concerns.

This game is built on voluntary participation and it is very easy for people to leave if pushed too far in one way or another (though from the deregistration debate one would think you have to must have a armed guard to essentially deport one from the game whilst also shielding them from thugs trying to prevent their exit, in order to be able to leave). A good example of this expressed by none other then the former President Nix, who in this thread stated clearly that he would leave if forced to live somewhere's else.

Any reform's benefits must be weighed against its negative potential, but especialyl with regards to the potential for lossed participation, by extension lost activity.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

Upon further reflection, I don't think random registration is a such a great idea and will be voting against this bill. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »

Are there any other ideas or thoughts here? Amendments?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »

I recall this having some degree of interest. The case against here has been made here rather well, what about arguments in favor?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »

A final vote is now open on the underlying Amendment, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »

Aye
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »

AYE
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X