If and when the bottom falls out?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:57:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If and when the bottom falls out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If and when the bottom falls out?  (Read 2099 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »

Eight years ago, early 2008 polls showed Giuliani and McCain with leads, sometimes tremendous leads against Hillary Clinton, Al Gore and other Democrats. Despite President Bush's unpopularity, the big question was, "Can the Democrats win the White House?" Keep in mind, Hillary...Gore...McCain...Giuliani all had high name recognition so the lead for the Republicans wasn't due to the Democratic opponents being unknown.

EXAMPLE
NBC Poll February 2006

McCain: 52
Clinton: 42

McCain: 55
Gore: 38

McCain: 54
Kerry: 37

By the end of 2006 and the midterm elections, the bottom fell out. Bush's unpopularity finally caught up to Republicans as a whole in both the midterms and the upcoming Presidential race. Soon the question was "Can REPUBLICANS hold the White House?"

With Obama's unpopularity, and polls showing Hillary Clinton beating all Republicans sometimes by tremendous margins, the question is, is there the possibility that everything with Obama's approval, Obamacare, this anti-big Government attitude catches up as it did with Bush and the GOP in 2006/2007, and suddenly the Republicans become favored in 2016?
sg0508
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »

You also need the "charismatic" candidate who can "wow" the American electorate and provide hope, even if it proves to be false.  Obama had that.

I would say watch the economy closely over the next 2.5 years, but seeing that the economy, which wasn't very strong in 2012 yielded a comfortable win for the president should worry the GOP.

The problem is, the GOP is now a minority party and if I'm not mistaken, they are fighting an uphill battle given that there are more registered democrats than republicans and the changing demographics continue to work against them.
Nichlemn

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:04 AM »

It's certainly plausible. I think these polls are a good way of showing how early leads don't necessarily mean very much. Certainly, while I think Hillary is the favourite in the general election, I think it's very unlikely she'll win by the double digit margin a number of polls have her up now, and it wouldn't be surprising if she was considered the underdog as early as a year from now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »

This reminds me of the pundits who were saying the bottom would fall out from under Democrats late in the campaign, Romney would win in a landslide, and Obama would be Carter 2.0.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:10 PM »

Keep in mind that the economy began to crash during the 2008 election and Obama arose as an inspirational, 'new' alternative to politics as usual.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »

You are all missing my point. There are parallels to 2006.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »

The party of the current sitting President didn't get the country engaged in two wars with no exit strategy, nor has the current President botched the response to a natural disaster. Could both of these things happen before November? Sure. Could something that's not these two things happen that dampen Hillary Clinton's chances of winning? You bet.

The only two parallels are these:

1. There is going to be a midterm election during this President's second term
2. The individual that is considered the incumbent party's Presidential front-runner for the next election is leading in early polling
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »

The party of the current sitting President didn't get the country engaged in two wars with no exit strategy, nor has the current President botched the response to a natural disaster. Could both of these things happen before November? Sure. Could something that's not these two things happen that dampen Hillary Clinton's chances of winning? You bet.

2. The individual that is considered the incumbent party's Presidential front-runner for the next election is leading in early polling

Yes...that is my point. Instead of Katrina and Iraq, it's Obamacare and NSA spying.

How long until this constant barrage of negatives on the Obama White House begins to sink Democrats nationally, not to mention a potential Presidential candidate who was his Sec of State?
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2014, 03:18:56 PM by dmmidmi »

Yes...that is my point. Instead of Katrina and Iraq, it's Obamacare and NSA spying.

How long until this constant barrage of negatives on the Obama White House begins to sink Democrats nationally, not to mention a potential Presidential candidate who was his Sec of State?

"If and when the bottom falls out" is pure speculation at best, wishful thinking at worst.

Comparing Katrina and Iraq/Afghanistan to the ACA and the NSA controversy is what we call a false equivalence.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »

You can find parallels in anything if you look hard enough. My original post wasn't missing the point. The right wingers and pundits were creaming themselves over all the "parallels" that 2012 had to 1980.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »

You can find parallels in anything if you look hard enough. My original post wasn't missing the point. The right wingers and pundits were creaming themselves over all the "parallels" that 2012 had to 1980.

Well of course there were many parallels, but the general tide of the electorate gets polluted when you have litmus test voters who cast ballots.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 03:24:28 PM »

The difference between 2006 and 2014 is that in 2006, while Republicans may have been leading, the Democrats were still a viable alternative. They still had top-tier candidates who "could be president." They had not disqualified themselves by being nutbars. In 2006, the Democrats weren't percieved as being "anti-reality."

Today, if the bottom falls out, who is going to pick up the slack? Ted Cruz? Rand Paul? The Republican bench is extremely weak, and I don't think any of them are presidents. Christie could have done it, but that's over now. The only remaining possibilities are Romney and Bush. Not exactly good odds.

To put things in perspective, the last "non-president" to be elected president was Jimmy Carter. I doubt someone like Rand Paul will get as lucky.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 03:33:24 PM »

The difference between 2006 and 2014 is that in 2006, while Republicans may have been leading, the Democrats were still a viable alternative. They still had top-tier candidates who "could be president." They had not disqualified themselves by being nutbars. In 2006, the Democrats weren't percieved as being "anti-reality."

Today, if the bottom falls out, who is going to pick up the slack? Ted Cruz? Rand Paul? The Republican bench is extremely weak, and I don't think any of them are presidents. Christie could have done it, but that's over now. The only remaining possibilities are Romney and Bush. Not exactly good odds.

To put things in perspective, the last "non-president" to be elected president was Jimmy Carter. I doubt someone like Rand Paul will get as lucky.

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are legitimate Presidential contenders. As Chuck Todd said a few weeks ago, Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann were "jokes". The CEO of Godfather's Pizza? He stated that as United States Senators, Cruz and Paul are already "leaders of the country" so they're not joke candidates.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »

No one said there weren't parallels. What we said is there were also other dramatic non-parallels that impacted the course of events. Sounds like you're grasping at straws.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »

Not at all, I just seem to sense a pro-Hillary atmosphere on this forum.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are legitimate Presidential contenders. As Chuck Todd said a few weeks ago, Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann were "jokes". The CEO of Godfather's Pizza? He stated that as United States Senators, Cruz and Paul are already "leaders of the country" so they're not joke candidates.
I think it'd be best for America if you didn't. I have the utmost respect for Chuck Todd, and he knows what he's talking about. But he knows that Cruz and Paul are seen by REPUBLICANS as "leaders of the country" and by REPUBLICANS as "legitimate Presidential contenders". I can guarantee you that supermajorities of the population will see the two as crazy joke candidates.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »

Alot of people dislike her on this forum, but they still want her to win.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »

That's the same mentality that allows for the continuation of abusive relationships.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »

That's the same mentality that allows for the continuation of abusive relationships.
That's pretty low.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »

That's pretty low.

Tongue Just being a goof.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »

That's pretty low.

Tongue Just being a goof.

Smiley's would have been good on your previous post, Mike.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 06:10:36 PM »

There really aren't any parallels to Feb 2006 other than it's 32 months before the election.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »

There really aren't any parallels to Feb 2006 other than it's 32 months before the election.

It's only 8 months till Hillary might potentially announce her candidacy [just after the midterm elections]. (And still we don't know how 24 of the states might trend in such a scenario. Media outlets should sponsor more state polls I reccon. It seems like big players like Huffington Post, CNN, Washington Post, New York Times, MSNBC with more only care about the national horse race and nothing else. At this point at least.)
sg0508
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »

If you think Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are getting elected, I'd like to know what you're smoking.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »

If you think Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are getting elected, I'd like to know what you're smoking.

Anything can happen in politics.

Look, in 2004 and 2005 there were questions identical to the ones Republicans face now. The Democrats have alienated too many constituents, they need to nominate someone who is pro-gun, conservative, basically a DINO in order to win a national election.

They didn't have to. They nominated an African American liberal with little experience from Chicago and won states Democrats couldn't have dreamed of winning and hadn't won in nearly half a century.

So I hear the same stuff now about Republicans. "The only the way they'll win is if they nominate a pro-choice, liberal Republican. Jon Huntsman, a RINO, ect ect"

Who is to say that Republicans won't nominate a Tea Party candidate who will win the states of Washington and Minnesota? You don't know. But it's crazy to assume especially this far out.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies