WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:42:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring  (Read 2460 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« on: February 13, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »

Fun fact: Inslee represented this seat from 92-94. Hastings beat him in the 94 Republican Revolution. Inslee moved to Western Washington and returned to congress with his win in the 1st district in 98.

Forgive my ignorance, but always wondered about that. So he basically carpetbagged over even though CD1 had almost nothing in common with CD4?

He's originally from Western Washington, in the area of where WA-01 was in 1998. After he finished law school he set up his practice in a small town outside of Yakima, in Central/Eastern Washington. He represented the area in the State Legislature and Congress before losing in 1994. Then in 1996 he ran for governor and lost. So carpetbagger isn't quite the right adjective, but it is an unusual situation.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »

Geographically, he cuts into Didier's base. No idea where he stands ideologically.

I was under the impression Didier was from Grant County (Ephrata). It seems Peck getting in hurts Sharon Brown more than him.

While we're on the subject of geography, it's worth noting most of Newbry Holmquist's district isn't in this CD (it's split between the 8th and the 5th). And if Didier is from Ephrata, all she really has is Moses Lake (population 21,000).

If I were a Republican officeholder from Yakima County, I'd get in this thing quick.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »

Geographically, he cuts into Didier's base. No idea where he stands ideologically.

I was under the impression Didier was from Grant County (Ephrata). It seems Peck getting in hurts Sharon Brown more than him.

While we're on the subject of geography, it's worth noting most of Newbry Holmquist's district isn't in this CD (it's split between the 8th and the 5th). And if Didier is from Ephrata, all she really has is Moses Lake (population 21,000).

If I were a Republican officeholder from Yakima County, I'd get in this thing quick.

Didier is from Connell, but currently lives in Eltopia.

Ah, ok. So Newbry Holmquist has Grant County all to herself. That'll help.

Yakima County still the big wildcard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies