WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:42:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring  (Read 2459 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: February 13, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »

Safe R of course. The most republican part of Washington state.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:57:37 AM »

Roll Call plays Great Mentioner:

2012 Public Lands Commissioner Nominee Clint Didier (R-Connell)
Former WA Dept. of Agriculture Director Dan Newhouse (R-Sunnyside)
State Sen. Sharon Brown (R-Kennewick)
State Sen. Janea Holmquist Newbry (R-Moses Lake)
State Sen. Curtis King (R-Yakima)
State Rep. Bruce Chandler (R-Granger)
State Rep. Brad Klippert (R-Kennewick)
State Rep. Matt Manweller (R-Ellensburg) (Lives in the 8th District, but his seat covers a large portion of the 4th)
State Rep. David Taylor (R-Moxee)

Didier is a Tea Party type, Klippert and Brown are social conservatives, and Newbry and Newhouse are Chamber of Commerce/Farm Bureau types. The rest I'm not sure about.

I immediately become Newbry and Newhouse fan as least objectionable among Republicans mentioned. But may be there is someone better (but electable, i don't care about unelectable candidates)?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:44:27 AM »

I know that every Republican is electable in WA-04, and no Democrat - is. Hence (with my views) - i want to see as moderate as possible republican elected, and will root for him. It's very simple...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:58:17 AM »

I know that every Republican is electable in WA-04, and no Democrat - is. Hence (with my views) - i want to see as moderate as possible republican elected, and will root for him. It's very simple...

The most moderate Republican in the area is probably State Rep. Maureen Walsh, who lives just outside WA-04, in the Walla Walla suburbs. She gained fame for her viral speech in favor of marriage equality, and she's so moderate that most of her opponents have been other Republicans looking to kick her out. She'd have little chance in a primary, unless she somehow became the de facto D candidate.

Thanks! Then - second after her))
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:20:28 AM »

I'd love for Maureen Walsh to run. I'm sure she'd have little chance of winning the primary, unfortunately. I'm also sure the Ds will put up a candidate. They actually got within a few points of taking out Hastings in 2006 and within 10 points in 2008.

These were wave years. 2014 - will not..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 01:25:43 AM »

It seems to me - too many "establishment conservatives". Can it lead to situation of 2 "tea partiers" in general?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 01:50:56 AM »

It seems to me - too many "establishment conservatives". Can it lead to situation of 2 "tea partiers" in general?

The Tea Party doesn't have a huge presence in Washington besides Didier (As I've said before, the Tea Party Wave never really hit the west coast). If another Tea Party guy gets into the race, it'll be an absolute nobody.

Good. I can live with "normal establishment conservative Republican" in THIS district.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:57:15 AM »

If I recall correct, Hastings was one of the ones that Hastert stacked the ethics committee with in order to shield Delay.

That sort of makes me long for an outsider here.

An outsider in such district is, usually, an extremely conservative outsider. You know - i am not a big fan of such political candidates (though almost the same i can say for "far left" as well)...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »

If I recall correct, Hastings was one of the ones that Hastert stacked the ethics committee with in order to shield Delay.

An outsider in such district is, usually, an extremely conservative outsider. You know - i am not a big fan of such political candidates (though almost the same i can say for "far left" as well)...

That wasn't the case in LA-05 though, clearly.

I wouldn't call him moderate either. But, probably the best that you can get from such district
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 01:19:09 AM »

I wouldn't call him moderate either. But, probably the best that you can get from such district

He was more moderate than the establishment guy though.

Yes. That happens. But - very rarely. I am at loss about second such case in the last years. Usually it's the way i formulated above - politics REALLY became much more polarized as of late. So much so, that there is a serious danger of having "2 nations", with absolutely no overlap, in one state
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 10:22:05 AM »

He was more moderate than the establishment guy though.

Yes. That happens. But - very rarely. I am at loss about second such case in the last years. Usually it's the way i formulated above - politics REALLY became much more polarized as of late. So much so, that there is a serious danger of having "2 nations", with absolutely no overlap, in one state

KS-02 2008 maybe and KS-03 2010 primaries in some ways count as such as well. MI 2010 Gubernatorial primary also.

Agree on MI-GOV-2010. Will look on Kansas. But Jenkins turned out to be much more conservative then i expected, and Yoder severely disappoints me too
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies