Kansas Gay-Straight Segregation Bill Passes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:45:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kansas Gay-Straight Segregation Bill Passes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Kansas Gay-Straight Segregation Bill Passes  (Read 6040 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:18 AM »

Okay, the way I read it is, it's essentially protecting freedom of religion on the part of the business owner. I see nothing wrong with it. How exactly is it anything like segregation?

What exactly does the word "segregation" mean to you?  Even if you argue that it's protecting religious freedom, it still quite clearly allows segregation.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:08 AM »

Well, the article is wrong.

Senate Leader Wagle said earlier that most Senators disagree with the bill and it likely won't even reach a final vote. She flat-out called the bill discrimination.

Smash - deleted my last post because this completely skipped my mind when I originally posted. Had it gone through, I was fully prepared on registering Independent. As it stands, I'm going to work to make a difference from within, but I'm a bit frustrated, to say the least.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that from a reasonable conservative... it's a recipe for frustration and self-hatred.
I think the sentiment is really changing among younger Republicans. I haven't ran into a single problem telling other members of College Republicans that I'm gay, and this is Kansas.

As a gay conservative myself, I've gotten more flack from liberals in California than I ever have from religious conservatives.

Then again, I'm pretty socially conservative, so I understand I am not typical in that sense.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:48 AM »

Okay, the way I read it is, it's essentially protecting freedom of religion on the part of the business owner. I see nothing wrong with it. How exactly is it anything like segregation?

Would you also support legalizing discrimination against people on the basis of race?

What religious freedom is it to deny service to someone on the basis of sexual orientation? Which major religion adheres to this action?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 12:27:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This sounds like a Huffington Post-style argument, but I'm willing to explain it to you.

A person who supports the free market does not want government mandating that a business goes against their religious beliefs. Take Obamacare for instance.  How do you feel about religious folks being forced to pay for contraception?

We've seen so much H8 directed at religious businesses. Let the market sort it out.  There are a lot of businesses here in San Francisco that have pictures of Che Guevarra on their store. If I'm offended by the message they preach, I don't go there.

No. But I don't see this as discriminating against gays. I see it as exercising religious freedom.

Some businesses such as restaurants around here have a sign that says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" -- to me that's no different.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »

This sounds like a Huffington Post-style argument, but I'm willing to explain it to you.

A person who supports the free market does not want government mandating that a business goes against their religious beliefs. Take Obamacare for instance.  How do you feel about religious folks being forced to pay for contraception?

We've seen so much H8 directed at religious businesses. Let the market sort it out.  There are a lot of businesses here in San Francisco that have pictures of Che Guevarra on their store. If I'm offended by the message they preach, I don't go there.

OK, but that didn't answer my question and doesn't address segregation at all.  You seem to be  arguing that the government shouldn't stop private entities from segregating homosexuals.  That's not the same thing as arguing that what's going on wouldn't be segregation.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »

Even if such a bill did pass, it would be impossible to enforce because it's impossible to know what your patrons sexuality is if they come in to your business.

Many gays choose to flaunt their sexuality (it annoys me when they do, but I understand it's a free country), but perhaps a bill like this would encourage more of a global Don't ask Don't tell policy for everybody.

From a purely constitutional point of view, I don't see how this bill would violate any provisions because there's no federal protection against sexual preference
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »

I think the sentiment is really changing among younger Republicans. I haven't ran into a single problem telling other members of College Republicans that I'm gay, and this is Kansas.

I don't mean to detract from the substantive debate here, but when did you come out to the forum?Huh
Never. I wasn't going to be an attention-whore and create an entire thread about it.

Well, kudos for having the courage to come out to the forum.  It's good to hear that your CR group has been very accepting of that and an encouragement for, hopefully, the future of the party.  But I'm sure you'd unfortunately run into resistance from a lot of the "adults" in the party (who half the time make such vile, immature jokes and jabs that they often do not fit the typical definition of "adult").
Yeah, congratulations!
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 02:05:25 AM »

So it hasn't actually passed the Senate yet, right?

And if it does pass, this is just Romer redux, no? The courts won't even have to invoke Windsor or create any new protections for discrimination based on sexual orientation to strike it down.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 02:11:32 AM »

When do liberals not run to the courts immediately after a law passes that they don't agree with the principles of?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 02:14:00 AM »

When do liberals not run to the courts immediately after a law passes that they don't agree with the principles of?

People of all political ideologies go to the courts to contest legislation.  I see no evidence that liberals challenge legislation more frequently than conservatives.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 02:20:41 AM »

Difference is they packed the courts, so basically 99% of laws that doesn't conform to a lib worldview gets tossed now.

The UN observers were shocked to learn the US doesn't have a voter ID law.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 02:25:18 AM »

Difference is they packed the courts, so basically 99% of laws that doesn't conform to a lib worldview gets tossed now.

99% of laws that don't conform to liberal worldviews?  So 99% of voter ID laws have been tossed, partial birth abortion bans, etc. have been tossed?  No.

As for your Court packing claim, the Courts are fairly balanced.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 02:30:59 AM »

99% of laws that don't conform to liberal worldviews?  So 99% of voter ID laws have been tossed, partial birth abortion bans, etc. have been tossed?  No.

You've drunk the lib kool aid
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 02:43:42 AM »

When do you imagine that liberals packed the court, and what decisions do you attribute to that packing?

The first state-level gay marriage ban to be overturned by a federal court (California) was struck down by a Reagan appointee.  The judge who just struck down Kentucky's ban on recognizing out-of-state gay marriages was appointed by Bush Sr. A majority of Justices on the Supreme Court are republican appointees, and a Reagan appointee was the swing vote in Windsor that toppled the first domino in the chain that's about to lead to nation-wide legalization of gay marriage.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 03:03:41 AM »

When do you imagine that liberals packed the court, and what decisions do you attribute to that packing?

The first state-level gay marriage ban to be overturned by a federal court (California) was struck down by a Reagan appointee.  The judge who just struck down Kentucky's ban on recognizing out-of-state gay marriages was appointed by Bush Sr. A majority of Justices on the Supreme Court are republican appointees, and a Reagan appointee was the swing vote in Windsor that toppled the first domino in the chain that's about to lead to nation-wide legalization of gay marriage.

Reagan also gave us Sandra Day "I heart Partial Birth Abortion" O'Connor.

Darn good president, but not the best appointer of judges.  W's judges  are probably the best in terms of real conservatism, minus Roberts as I said before.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 03:28:06 AM »

Reagan also gave us Sandra Day "I heart Partial Birth Abortion" O'Connor.

Darn good president, but not the best appointer of judges.  W's judges  are probably the best in terms of real conservatism, minus Roberts as I said before.

So when did liberals pack the court?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 03:44:44 AM »

Ok Inks, can you check this guy's IP? I have a hunch that he is a sock by a Democrat to make Republicans look bad.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 04:13:04 AM »

Ok Inks, can you check this guy's IP? I have a hunch that he is a sock by a Democrat to make Republicans look bad.

Minimal searches seem to indicate he's a Republican.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2014, 11:58:43 AM by President of the BLAND Corporation »

Vladimir Putin would be proud.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2014, 07:57:37 AM »

Even if such a bill did pass, it would be impossible to enforce because it's impossible to know what your patrons sexuality is if they come in to your business.

Many gays choose to flaunt their sexuality (it annoys me when they do, but I understand it's a free country), but perhaps a bill like this would encourage more of a global Don't ask Don't tell policy for everybody.

From a purely constitutional point of view, I don't see how this bill would violate any provisions because there's no federal protection against sexual preference

Um... what's your definition of 'flaunting'?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2014, 08:57:35 AM by JerryArkansas »

As the man on Billy Madison would say, " In your rambling statement, there was not a shred of a credible though. We are all dumber for listing to you.   I award you no point and may god have mercy on your soul.
Wow, every gay guy I know, including myself do not as you would say "flaunt there gayness".  You are a sad excuse for a person.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 08:58:15 AM »

Wow, every gay guy I know, including myself do not as you would say "flaunt there gayness".  You are a sad excuse for a person.

I think to him flaunting means 'existing'
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 09:11:21 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2014, 09:15:15 AM by Hifly »

Surprisingly, only one Democrat (Jan Pauls, Ranking Democrat on Judiciary Committee) voted in favour.

EDIT: actually she was joined by two other Democrats.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »

Jerry's a gay too? What would Nikki Haley say?

Also yeah,  this bill and  CountryClassSF.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »

Jerry's a gay too? What would Nikki Haley say?

Yeah, people unexpectedly coming out on here is probably the most interesting part of this multi-thread flamewar.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies