DRA States not loading
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:14:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  DRA States not loading
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DRA States not loading  (Read 1151 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »

I've been trying to do some redistricting attempts lately, but I've been frustrated to realize several states are completely inaccessible, at least with 2010 population data. Initially, I thought the problem was with my computer (a 3-year-old laptop using Windows 7) not having enough memory to load them. But I tried using a more powerful computer, and got the exact same results. In terms of browsers, I tried Chrome, Firefox and IE, again always with the same outcome.

I tried to load all the States, and here are the 9 that never work.

Has this happened to some of you as well?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »

I just tested MN and it loaded fine.

When I have had problems in the past I have been able to trace it to one of two sources: download speed and browser edition. DRA is written with Microsoft Silverlight (The Dave of the app is a former Microsoft engineer) and I have found that it only works consistently for all versions when I run IE. DRA is one of the only sites I use IE for (the others also heavily into Silverlight). I also find that when a state is downloaded for the first time onto a computer it helps to have a high-speed connection. When I use DSL it often hangs and then fails to load. Once a state has been loaded, it's more likely to load correctly the next time even with a slower source since some of the files will be on your local computer.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »

NM, MD & GA work for me. I've always had difficulties loading larger states, though (CA, NY, PA, TX, FL).
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »

I've used it for all of the states and my only problem was with California,  only because it was such a large file to load.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 03:31:04 PM »

California (and to a lesser extent TX, FL, and NY) have always been extremely slow, but otherwise? No.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »

I really struggle with anything that's even remotely large. Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc. all have to be on the Old DRA, and I'm even having some trouble with Wisconsin.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »

Usually its the bigger the worse, so its quite odd that Oklahoma and New Mexico are in your list. Usually anything with 20 EV's or more is a pain for me, but I notice that southern states in general are faster to use and easier to load. North Carolina, for instance, is much faster than Michigan or even Indiana.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »

Southern states have fewer precincts.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to draw NC because of how large the precincts are and how strict my population equity limits are.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »

I've had issues with a few states in the past; I've found that it had a lot to do with the strength of my WiFi connections.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:17:39 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to draw NC because of how large the precincts are and how strict my population equity limits are.
I have the opposite problem- I always get sick of having to meticulously color in every 2 person precinct in NY or PA.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 12:51:18 AM »

I have the opposite problem- I always get sick of having to meticulously color in every 2 person precinct in NY or PA.
Depends on what DRA you use. I use the old one for the big states due to the loading times. Given how quick it is to draw on the old DRA, the amount of small precincts isn't a problem as long as it has partisan data.

While drawing NC isn't annoying, it does make keeping my maps in a good shape hard.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 04:00:38 AM »

When I have had problems in the past I have been able to trace it to one of two sources: download speed and browser edition. DRA is written with Microsoft Silverlight (The Dave of the app is a former Microsoft engineer) and I have found that it only works consistently for all versions when I run IE. DRA is one of the only sites I use IE for (the others also heavily into Silverlight). I also find that when a state is downloaded for the first time onto a computer it helps to have a high-speed connection. When I use DSL it often hangs and then fails to load. Once a state has been loaded, it's more likely to load correctly the next time even with a slower source since some of the files will be on your local computer.

I tried using IE, but got the exact same problems I had with Chrome.

Usually its the bigger the worse, so its quite odd that Oklahoma and New Mexico are in your list. Usually anything with 20 EV's or more is a pain for me, but I notice that southern states in general are faster to use and easier to load. North Carolina, for instance, is much faster than Michigan or even Indiana.

Indeed, I was surprised too! I actually managed to load California, and even though it was a bit slow it remained reasonably workable. I doesn't really seem to be related to size.

Depends on what DRA you use. I use the old one for the big states due to the loading times. Given how quick it is to draw on the old DRA, the amount of small precincts isn't a problem as long as it has partisan data.

While drawing NC isn't annoying, it does make keeping my maps in a good shape hard.

Old DRA doesn't have 2010 population data though, does it?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 09:10:52 AM »

I tried using IE, but got the exact same problems I had with Chrome.

When I've had problems with IE I was always able to trace them to slow download speeds and whether the state had been previously loaded to that computer. My best solution is to clear out the folder for a troublesome state, go to a place with high speed service, and load the state there. Once the state is loaded make a map (it doesn't need to be much) and save it. Opening that map seems to be easier when I go back to a slower connection.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 07:11:57 AM »

I've found Chrome to be the best browser to run DRA. It also depends on how much RAM your computer has. The only state that gives me trouble is California, which eats up about 1.5GB of my total 4GB (and even then I have to pick a region to get it to work reasonably well). Other than that, I don't think I've ever had any problems loading particular states (and I'm pretty sure I've tried them all over time).

As some have already mentioned, it could be your internet speed. How fast is your connection?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 07:18:41 AM »

As some have already mentioned, it could be your internet speed. How fast is your connection?

Ping 45

Download 12.92 Mb/s

Upload 0.85 Mb/s

I've no idea how to read these numbers, though. Tongue
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »

That's a good download speed. It's right around what I have. I really don't know what the problem is then.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »

That's a good download speed. It's right around what I have. I really don't know what the problem is then.

Ugh... Sad I just tried again, same result. It's really so random and weird, that makes it even more frustrating.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »

Ugh... Sad I just tried again, same result. It's really so random and weird, that makes it even more frustrating.

I wonder if you have a weak connection or one that intermittently disconnects and reconnects at rates too fast for you to notice. Memory can also be an issue as mentioned. The failure is related to some time limit placed in the app. When steps take too long it can cause the app to hang or crash.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »

I wonder if you have a weak connection or one that intermittently disconnects and reconnects at rates too fast for you to notice. Memory can also be an issue as mentioned. The failure is related to some time limit placed in the app. When steps take too long it can cause the app to hang or crash.

My connection is pretty stable as far as I know (I use ADSL). In terms of memory, I guess my computer is a bit old and rusty, but it's not too bad either. Also, as I said I tried using other computers in my house, with the exact same results.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 03:01:07 PM »

Problem, with same states, when using DRA in Finland. California works,  but Minnesota, Maryland and Ohio do not.

Maybe it has to do with being abroad?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »

Silverlight doesn't work with the newest edition of Firefox, so DRA won't work with it.
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 05:44:09 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2014, 05:47:20 AM by Tayya »

Same problem here from Sweden, with exactly the same states except that Kentucky doesn't work for me. Laptop from 2009, Windows Vista (shut up!), Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Finally found someone with the same problems!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 06:37:20 AM »

Same problem here from Sweden, with exactly the same states except that Kentucky doesn't work for me. Laptop from 2009, Windows Vista (shut up!), Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Indeed! Smiley This suggests that the problem might be with location. Maybe these States don't work outside of the US, for some reason.

Any other international poster to confirm that?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 06:40:32 AM »

Indeed! Smiley This suggests that the problem might be with location. Maybe these States don't work outside of the US, for some reason.

Any other international poster to confirm that?
I've got Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia working in the past.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies