What Do You Pay For Car Insurance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:11:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What Do You Pay For Car Insurance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Do You Pay For Car Insurance?  (Read 899 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »

Your insurance would cost $1000 a month? Mine is a few hundred. Though technically I'm still under my parents, and I pay my dad with cash. Would it be $1000 a month if I were on my own? Yikes. I need a better job.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »

WTF? I'm a 23 year old male and pay 400€ a year.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:49:01 PM »

A number of states require you to have car insurance, my state being one of them.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »

What are you doing driving a brand new sports car? It really shouldn't cost you a $1000 a month.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »

PPOR

And as someone who drives a car with a high insurance rate, $1000? what the hell.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »

Something's up with DD's situation. Either he has a Cadillac plan, a really expensive car, a poor driving record, or he REALLY needs to change insurance companies.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:30:29 PM »

My post is now the first in the thread. For those just joining us, the original post seems to have been deleted. I was replying to him/her.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:32 PM »

$1000 dollars a month where do you live Detroit? Probably not it would probably be higher if you did. Even Michigan has high car insurance.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »

$1000 dollars a month where do you live Detroit? Probably not it would probably be higher if you did. Even Michigan has high car insurance.

$1000 a month high? I don't believe this...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »

Mandatory car insurance has not brought down the price of car insurance in Florida at all. It is still quite expensive.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:16:25 PM »

This thread has been a most revealing exercise in Psychoanalysis. Thanks everyone.

Oh, btw, don't want to pay Car Insurance? The answer is simple: Don't bother driving.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:46:59 PM »

Oh, btw, don't want to pay Car Insurance? The answer is simple: Don't bother driving.

Things don't work that way in America. Not everyone lives in a big city.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »

This thread has been a most revealing exercise in Psychoanalysis. Thanks everyone.

This is the foolish argument ACA Haters use when asked why they're fine with mandatory car insurance but not mandatory health insurance.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 11:46:01 PM »

Things don't work that way in America. Not everyone lives in a big city.

I'm thinking of a Karl Marx quote on the purpose of philosophy.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 07:07:53 AM »

Car insurance here costs about twice of what you have to pay in Germany for the same car.

I have a 105PS car and have to pay 1200€ a year for insurance costs (comprehensive coverage + accident + legal protection insurance).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »

I haven't looked at the breakdown in a couple of years, but we pay $130~ a month for full coverage ($250 deductable) on two newish cars AND $500k of term life for me.  If it was up to me the deductable would be higher and it would only be full coverage on one car.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »

I think we pay about $500 every six months for two cars.  Not sure how it works out for each car, but probably something like $500 per year per car.  I think it includes 15/30 liability, collision, comprehensive, notstacked 15/30 uninsured and underinsured motorist protection, and some first-party medical expenses.  I think we opted not to get the towing or the high-tort option.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 12:34:29 PM »

Car insurance here costs about twice of what you have to pay in Germany for the same car.

I have a 105PS car and have to pay 1200€ a year for insurance costs (comprehensive coverage + accident + legal protection insurance).

Wow that's pretty high...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »

I think we pay about $500 every six months for two cars.  Not sure how it works out for each car, but probably something like $500 per year per car.  I think it includes 15/30 liability, collision, comprehensive, notstacked 15/30 uninsured and underinsured motorist protection, and some first-party medical expenses.  I think we opted not to get the towing or the high-tort option.

15/30 is too low given your position in life at the moment. If you were 16 and impecunious, ok.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »

15/30 is too low given your position in life at the moment. If you were 16 and impecunious, ok.

Is it, now?  I supposed that if I plowed into a Lamborghini it would be too low.  What do you think a reasonable amount would be?  Funny thing is that in Iowa 20/40 Liability was required by law, but here, 15/30 is required by law.  My own coverage has higher limits.  I can't remember exactly what they are, but it's enough to cover either car. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »

Is it, now?  I supposed that if I plowed into a Lamborghini it would be too low.  What do you think a reasonable amount would be?  Funny thing is that in Iowa 20/40 Liability was required by law, but here, 15/30 is required by law.  My own coverage has higher limits.  I can't remember exactly what they are, but it's enough to cover either car. 

You need, and I sincerely mean need, 100/300 for bodily injury, because if you hurt me in a car accident with 15/30 you'll have to empty every account you have to pay me. 50 property damage should be fine.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »

Yeah, you do not want to be in the situation of having too little insurance.  I found about that indirectly the hard way when I got into a multi-vehicle accident with a rented U-haul truck which punted a jeep atop another vehicle. (Thankfully, I didn't punt the vehicle onto the jeep, that could have been even more unfortunate.)  My own personal insurance was considered secondary to the primary insurance on the truck itself which was a bare minimum policy for understandable reasons. However, since it was the primary, the U-haul insurance had zero incentive to settle the claim since no matter what they were going to paying the limit, so they dragged it out until a court date was set.  In the mean time I had moved, so I had to waste two full days, one getting there and one twiddling my thumbs and then going back home once the insurers had settled the claim while the jury was being selected. (My own insurer was willing to settle sooner, but couldn't until the primary had paid its share of the claims against me.)  I also just barely had enough even with the double coverage (my own was more than the minimum, but not 100/300). That was over twenty-five years ago and everything is more expensive these days, especially medical bills.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »

Even $100,000 seems rather low.

My 400€ a year p๖an is for 10 million, I believe.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »

Even $100,000 seems rather low.

My 400€ a year p๖an is for 10 million, I believe.

Most companies in Pennsylvania will give you $1 million maximum. Angus does not want to buy very high limits but I certainly encourage them to buy more than the minimum. The limit I suggested is the minimum he should have. 
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »

We just checked and changed out insurance by the end of last year. Our first car, a three-years old Toyota Yaris (90 PS, I believe), is some 300 Euros annually (10 m€ liability, theft, and game accidents with 250€ own contribution). Only me and my wife may drive it.
On the second one, an 11 yr. old Renault Kangoo, we have included our 19 year old daughter, which made premiums rise considerably. It is only liability (10 m€), and we pay some 350€ per year now.

In general, the market in Germany is quite intransparent (or differentiated, if you want to call it that way). We benefit, a.o., from parking the cars on our own premises (parking accidents on public roads appear to be a major issue for insurers), a long-term record of having driven without accidents, and, in my case, the fact that I turned 50 last year (some insurers apparently think that drivers between 50 and 60 carry a lower risk). Children in the household (parents drive more carefully), motorist association membership, and dozens of other factors also play a role, in addition to car model and the county you are living in.

While  I am prepared to exclude various risks, there is no way I would ever go for limited liability coverage. "Unlimited coverage", which technically is 10m€ maximum coverage, is a must to me.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies