I miss Chrétien
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:04:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  I miss Chrétien
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I miss Chrétien  (Read 1660 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2005, 10:47:57 PM »

Mainly for quotes like this: "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven"
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 10:50:24 PM »

Any sense on when Martin's going to call elections.  I heard from a guy my dad does business with up there that there are rumors of a fall election.  Heard anything about that?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 10:53:32 PM »

Mainly for quotes like this: "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven"

Hah.  Yes, Jean Chrétien was truly a man for the ages.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 12:08:29 PM »

Any sense on when Martin's going to call elections.  I heard from a guy my dad does business with up there that there are rumors of a fall election.  Heard anything about that?

Didn't they just have one?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 01:11:26 PM »

We have a minority government.  It will not last.  We will almost surely have one this year.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 01:38:15 PM »

Unlike America, which has fixed election dates, in Canada, elections can basically be called whenever the powers that be feel like it.  Usually, by convention, it's every four years, and there's a provision that says that it can't be more than five, but that doesn't mean it can't be less.  As Richius said, we currently have a minority government: nobody holds a majority of the seats in Parliament.  I believe the count is roughly 135 Liberals, 99 Conservatives, 50-some Bloq Quebecois guys, and 18 or so NDPers.  For a party to have a majority, they'd need around 152 seats.

Minority governments typically are quite ineffectual at actually doing anything, and as such, usually result in a new election being called much earlier than the typical four years in the hopes that one party will establish a majority.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 03:59:29 PM »

19 NDP! Al I remember is that we had 20 for a while and that was enough for a coalition of 153 Libs and 20 NDP.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »

19 NDP! Al I remember is that we had 20 for a while and that was enough for a coalition of 153 Libs and 20 NDP.

Siege

NDP came very close to a shock pickup on the Island against an incumbent who everyone thought had a large personal vote, and nearly hung onto Palliser IIRC.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 06:15:13 PM »

That sounds like Yogi Berra, who I trust to run a baseball team, but not a country.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 06:23:15 PM »

That sounds like Yogi Berra, who I trust to run a baseball team, but not a country.

Actually, Jean Chrétien was quite the brilliant politician who was a four-term prime minister; he just didn't quite get the English language.  His native language was French.

Looking at your current president, I don't really think Americans are good people to critizice national leaders on account of not speaking English as well as most.  At least Chrétien had the excuse of not having English as his first language.  Smiley
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 06:33:27 PM »

Despite his massively corrupt nature, I still like him, I guess he's like Bill Clinton in that way, if you consider the Lewinsky thing corrupt.

Siege
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 06:40:04 PM »

Actually, Jean Chrétien was quite the brilliant politician who was a four-term prime minister; he just didn't quite get the English language.  His native language was French.

Looking at your current president, I don't really think Americans are good people to critizice national leaders on account of not speaking English as well as most.  At least Chrétien had the excuse of not having English as his first language.  Smiley

Bush's first language is Texican.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 06:49:03 PM »

Bush's first language is Texican.

Oh, all right, we'll let you off.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 10:27:59 PM »

He was actually a three-term Prime Minister.

Elections probably wont occur until next spring in all likelyhood from the looks of it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 03:02:56 AM »

He was actually a three-term Prime Minister.

Elections probably wont occur until next spring in all likelyhood from the looks of it.

Oh, right, looking it up, it was only three.

Funny, I could have sworn it was four...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 11:16:27 PM »

haha! Howard is four! We win...oh wait....Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies