1 in 4 "Americans" Don't Know Earth Orbits the Sun.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:12:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  1 in 4 "Americans" Don't Know Earth Orbits the Sun.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 1 in 4 "Americans" Don't Know Earth Orbits the Sun.  (Read 2225 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »

I'm an orthodox Presbyterian. Never heard anyone at church argue against heliocentrism.
Link
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 01:43:53 PM »

Scott Walker, a college dropout, is spoken of as a serious contender for president and a substantial number of people think basic 10th grade math (ie Algebra II) is impossible and should be dropped as a requirement for a high school diploma.

Those results don't shock me.  It's the rise of the idiocracy.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »

Scott Walker, a college dropout, is spoken of as a serious contender for president and a substantial number of people think basic 10th grade math (ie Algebra II) is impossible and should be dropped as a requirement for a high school diploma.

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of all of Bill Gates's money. Where did he graduate from, again?
Link
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »

Those results don't shock me.  It's the rise of the idiocracy.

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of all of Bill Gates's money. Where did he graduate from, again?

Oh, Lord this again.  Every single uneducated loser always likes to make an excuse for themselves by glossing over the fact Bill Gates dropped out of HARVARD to start what would become a multi billion dollar software company.  He did not drop out of some BS middle of the pack random school to take some nondescript middle management marketing job.  This forum would be a lot better if we had more people that actually had a career and went out into the world and looked for jobs.  Let's be clear.  In the 1990s there were not intelligent hardworking college students chomping at the bit ready to drop out of college for the first BS marketing job that came their way.  That little lie is an insult to everyone who successfully completed college in the 1990s.

Anyway the guy has lied about it several times...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2013/dec/18/scott-walker-early-years/

I don't recall Bill Gates lying about why he left HARVARD.

If you are going to vote you need to do better fact checking.  Honestly I rarely see a topic that generates as many lies as someone asking Scott Walker why he didn't graduate from college.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »

I'm an orthodox Presbyterian. Never heard anyone at church argue against heliocentrism.

I guess that's what you get for lurking around Calvinist message boards such as PuritanBoard, although they are are criticized even by the young earth creationists there.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »

What does Walker have to do with this? Has he denied the earth orbits the sun or something?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »

Oh, and it gets worse, the majority of young people think astrology is a science (though I suspect they're confusing it with astronomy or trolling.

It's the -logy suffix.  If the astrologers hadn't already coöpted the term, then astronomy would be called astrology. (And chemistry would be called alchemy.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »

Though the same survey said that it was roughly as bad in other modernized countries. There was the issue of 48% of people answering about evolution but 72% acknowledging that a consensus in the scientific community exists for it.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 06:53:55 AM »

Oh, and it gets worse, the majority of young people think astrology is a science (though I suspect they're confusing it with astronomy or trolling.

It's the -logy suffix.  If the astrologers hadn't already coöpted the term, then astronomy would be called astrology. (And chemistry would be called alchemy.)

logy = logos = knowledge
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »

As someone who teaches astronomy, I can say I'm not surprised, and it's not about religion or politics. Moderate has part of the answer - people generally don't retain facts that don't apply to their everyday lives. Xahar also has part of the answer, when people hear an unexpected or unfamiliar question they easily misunderstand the question. One of the best predictors for success in college physics or astronomy at the introductory level is not one's math skill, but rather one's reading skill.

But astronomy doesn't apply to my everyday life and I still retain that information. I don't understand why it's so difficult to retain such a basic fact. I'm a history guy, I don't do math or science. By that logic I shouldn't be able to remember that the earth revolves around the sun.

You're an educated guy and recognize that a wide range of factual information has value. There are many people who don't hold such views. It may not even be about knowing whether the earth revolves around the sun, but as simple a fact as what does it mean to orbit. Maybe for some orbit refers to the moon or satellites around the earth and the connection to the earth around the sun is not apparent.

I don't believe that Algebra II is impossible, but I do believe it should be dropped from the curriculum. Many of those who I know that believe it should be dropped are actually quite expert at Algebra II. But we had a whole thread on that subject, so I won't belabor my reasons here.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »

Really? You're surprised? If anything I would've expected it to be higher.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »

We humans often like to think we have evolved, but the immense number of channels on tv, the amount of beer in our fridge, and the fast car in our garage don't make us better than other animals.  Th intelligence level of the vast majority of the population is incredibly low.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 04:21:27 AM »

http://www.geekosystem.com/kate-mulgrew-to-narrate-a-film-about-how-the-sun-revolves-around-the-earth/
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »

Well you know statistically speaking these people must exist somewhere.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »

logy = logos = knowledge

Something that most people have much less of than they think.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »

And some of you want these people voting?

Not all of us, no.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »

Therefore, Scott Walker must think the Sun revolves around the Earth. As would all people without college degrees, because you need a college degree to know the Earth revolves around the sun. Which is why college graduates repudiated the ignorant party and voted 47%-51% Romney... oh wait.

Try using some facts before drawing broad, sweeping generalisations.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies